Chainstitching thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I know that I am looking for chainstitching service in the Seattle area.

Apart from Blue in Green and Rby45RPM in NYC, Denim Doctors in LA (the one on Beverly, apparently) and Self Edge in SF, are there any other places in the US where this is done? Is there only a large enough market in these major cities?

2. robin

robin Senior member

In Seattle, I have heard that the guy that does the overflow tailoring from Mario's, Butch Blum, and other stores has the ability to do chain stitching, but I never looked into it. I have his name and business card lying around somewhere.

Scott Kuhlman and some of his employees might also be able to give you a lead on somewhere local to do it (I don't think he has the equipment for it himself).

3. adaspiel

adaspiel Member

I was recently trying to get some chainstitching done in NYC and called BiG and 45RPM.

Just wanted to mention that as of 2 weeks ago BiG was only doing chainstitching for jeans purchased from them and 45RPM does any jean but costs $30 now. Turnaround was about a week for both.

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I asked Scott Kuhlman, he didn't have any idea where to start. His best guess would be to check with some manufacturers, but of course it's unlikely a manufacturer would do a small job.

5. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i would be surprised if anyone in seattle did this, it requires a machine that very few tailors would even want to carry. i would expect it only from those denim-specific/crazy boutiques (none really, in seattle), especially given that 99% of people have no clue what a chain stitch is.

6. robin

robin Senior member

Does anyone know if Riveted (the now closed denim shop) was able to get their denim chain stitched?

7. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

^i was wondering that myself, but no, i don't believe that they did it either. their merchandise wasn't the kind needing chain stitching iirc, ranging from 575 to stronghold to nudies.

8. morse9443

morse9443 Senior member

Gordon at BIG did mine last week in about 5 minutes. They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them. Self Edge charges more. Those machines seem kind of outdated and rare. Best bet is probably sending them in...

9. adaspiel

adaspiel Member

They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them.

Are you sure about this? I called 2 weeks ago and asked specifically about this and I was told no. That they only did jeans purchased from them.

I was going to bring them one pair I bought from them and another pair that I bought somewhere else but after I spoke to them I had to start looking for other places...

10. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Gordon at BIG did mine last week in about 5 minutes. They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them. Self Edge charges more. Those machines seem kind of outdated and rare. Best bet is probably sending them in...

Nope, we also charge $15.

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

there was a mention of another store (small tailor) in NYC that chainstitches. Madeline from Chuck's Vintage on melrose said she does chainstitching and Denim Doctors def does it, I had it done last week. There is supposed to be one more small tailor shop in the bay area that does it as well. Check back when sufu is back in business.

12. xchen

xchen Senior member

How are Denim Doctors' prices on repairing blowouts?

13. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

How are Denim Doctors' prices on repairing blowouts?

not sure, pricing was very resonable though. 16$ for a simple chainstitch and $24 for a taper from the knee down. So I don't think they're too extreme as far as pricing goes.

14. xchen

xchen Senior member

Thanks for the info, Poly.

15. worn down

worn down Active Member

there was a mention of another store (small tailor) in NYC that chainstitches. Madeline from Chuck's Vintage on melrose said she does chainstitching and Denim Doctors def does it, I had it done last week. There is supposed to be one more small tailor shop in the bay area that does it as well. Check back when sufu is back in business.

I got my IH's done at Jaime's last year when I lived in the Bay Area. Don't remember how much it cost.

4340 Redwood Hwy
    San Rafael, CA 94903
    (415) 492-1325

If you look him up on yelp, there's a review posted by a guy who I think might be Ayn from SuFu.