1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CG's Artisan & Farmstead Cheese Threak

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Cary Grant, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Bonus cheese... Marieke Gouda Six-Year
    Earlier I reviewed Marieke's Gouda which is aged 9-12 months. Here's the first cheese she ever made then put away for six years. Outstanding and one-of-a-kind.

For comparison again, here is the 9-12mo.
    [​IMG]

And here after aging six years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

What knife do you use for which cheese? And how do you cut (press down or "saw")?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Generally, always press, never saw. You want clean cuts, straight down.

Cheese knives for consumers, IMO, break into two categories:

• personal preference
    • practical

There are myriad handle and blade shapes and for the most part it's personal preference. Because they are often presented on a cheese board at parties, etc. there's more reason to consider the "art" of them rather than simply utility. Artisan cheese is an "affordable luxury" so many people want a knife that reflects that will still being functional. Truth be told - I've seen too many that err on the side of art and are not fun to actually use.
    The practical comes in with:

How hard is the cheese? How "sticky" is it when cutting. You need heft for the first and less surface area for the second.

Somebody gave me these and I find I use the two on the right quite often. The hard cheese knife is handy for breaking very hard cheeses. The other does a decent job with softer, stickier/gripper cheeses.

[​IMG]

The better knife for sticky cheese is something like Global's with as little surface area as possible.

[​IMG]

For the softest cheeses, at least for photography I actually just use a sturdy piece of fishing line.

Having a chisel/spade is handy for breaking big chunks of parm, gouda and the like:

[​IMG]
    You can use ordinary heavy knives as I did in the pic above- but if the cheese cleaves, down goes your knife tip into the slate.

On the commercial/practical side, for larger/whole cheeses, there's one cutter you could use for just about everything and that's a commercial cheese wire cutter from Handee. Takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it's the best way for breaking wheels, slicing quarters etc. But 99% of consumers don't need this.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

that six year gouda looks sick!! I take it it's not for sale?

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Only what she had at the shop in Madison I believe.
    She ages a gouda 18mo's plus under the category "super" but it's nothing like this.

Roomano is a little similar- aged 3-4 years. Murray's has it.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Some of you will appreciate this thoughtful article on the growing extinction of France's heritage cheeses. Artisans are challenged at every turn to compete with the mass-produced and public whim.
    Not to mention nonsensical challenges to raw milk.

Fromage under fire: Why French cheese faces extinction

[​IMG]
    Image [​IMG] Rachel Bajada

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Day #26: Dunbarton Blue - Wisconsin
    A cheddar-blue like the Red Rock above

[​IMG]

12. apack

apack Senior member

Nonetheless, Kerrygold makes good cheese. To my mind it is the best of the large commercial cheesemakers. Relatively inexpensive, and it lasts a long time, so we usually have some of their aged cheddar around the house for when we run out of fresh cheese.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yup- nothing wrong with Kerrygold in terms of quality of product.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  15. apack

apack Senior member

Inspired by this thread, I'm going to take my daughter down to Pastoral today and get a selection of nice cheeses. So many good choices...

They have the Ossau-Iraty and Pleasant Ridge Reserve, so we'll give those a try based on the recommendations here since we like those styles of cheese.

They also have Sar Vecchio, and we could use some parmigiano (style) cheese, but I didn't know that there was any good US production of this type of cheese. Is the Sar Vecchio good?

Also, what about a blue? They have the Stichelton, but I usually prefer blues that are creamier, like Cashel and Roaring Forties. They have a couple of new (to me) American Cheeses for Cheese Month -- how about Point Reyes Blue or Cave Man Blue?

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

All the blues you mention are very good. Pt. Reyes might be the creamier of the bunch. They should have Rogue River now... it's a very limited cheese and more $$$ but it's outstanding.

They have "Up in Smoke" a goat cheese wrapped in maple leaves and smoked that's getting a lot of notice lately but I have yet to have it:

Sar vecchio- many people like it but I'd rather have the Italian like Cravero.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I can get cypress grove truffle tremor, purple haze, cowgirls mt tam, jasper hill Harbison. What to get?

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pt. Reyes Blue is so common here that it is easy to forget what a good cheese it is.

19. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Rogue River is a delicious cheese. Easily my favorite domestic blue.

Lately, I've been getting very nice Vacherin Mont d'Or.

20. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Purple Haze is the rare cheese "with something on it/in it" I really like. It's fresh chevre dusted in lavender and fennel pollen. Great for crackers. Prefer it over the truffled cheese.

Mt. Tam is a solid triple cream. Straight-forward & rich. As long as it isn't too firm or verging on turning to a squishy mess- it's good.

Harbison- I've yet to have one that wowed me- overrated in my opinion.