• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CFA Charter: worth it?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into studying for CFA Charter. It takes quite a bit of commitment to get it. I have an interest in finance, and this probably wouldn't hurt my law career either. The curriculum is standardized, and I don't think I'll have any problem with its difficulty. The only real factor is time (well, money is a small one, too), so I want to make sure it's worth putting in the hundreds of hours required to pass all 3 levels.

For those of you who currently hold the Charter, has it helped your career? Any tips on how to study for it?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a key credential for a finance career, either on the banking or corporate side. If you're really going to practice law the utility of the credential is marginal. In terms of the substantive usefulness, it's purely rote study and probably stuff you can learn better in other ways.

As background - ex-attorney here who now works in finance. I started working on CFA level one, gave up basically from boredom. It would be good for me if I had it (or the FRM), maybe I'll get back to it someday.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it would be worth it if you were involved somewhere in the investment/asset management industry. It's a huge commitment, but still the golden standard. The skillset goes beyond even a masters in finance. However, just for yourself, I don't think it's worth it. Also remember that you have to have 4 years of related experience (financial analysis/securities/econ/etc) to get your charter.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Definitely a key credential for a finance career, either on the banking or corporate side. If you're really going to practice law the utility of the credential is marginal. In terms of the substantive usefulness, it's purely rote study and probably stuff you can learn better in other ways. As background - ex-attorney here who now works in finance. I started working on CFA level one, gave up basically from boredom. It would be good for me if I had it (or the FRM), maybe I'll get back to it someday.
Level II and PRM (the rogue splitoff from FRM) candidate here, potentially CAIA too. None of that really helps now though
lol8[1].gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'm looking into studying for CFA Charter. It takes quite a bit of commitment to get it. I have an interest in finance, and this probably wouldn't hurt my law career either. The curriculum is standardized, and I don't think I'll have any problem with its difficulty. The only real factor is time (well, money is a small one, too), so I want to make sure it's worth putting in the hundreds of hours required to pass all 3 levels. For those of you who currently hold the Charter, has it helped your career? Any tips on how to study for it?
And you do realize you need finance experience to get the charter right?
Originally Posted by JoelF
Definitely a key credential for a finance career, either on the banking or corporate side.
Not really. It is beyond worthless when it comes to banking. I am not sure what "the corporate side" is.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
And you do realize you need finance experience to get the charter right? Not really. It is beyond worthless when it comes to banking. I am not sure what "the corporate side" is.
Well, according to my research, their experience requirement is somewhat broad. I suspect, although I'm not sure, indirect finance experience (i.e. doing M&A or project finance deals) might apply.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I suspect, although I'm not sure, indirect finance experience (i.e. doing M&A or project finance deals) might apply.

I forgot the exact specific, but it does have to be full-time four years of experience, but M&A or project finance might be fine.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother has it. It gives him an edge over other people when applying, but in terms of opening up new possibilities I doubt it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
All I know is that test is a beast and drains the soul out of you for the months you spend studying beforehand....

Yup.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
All I know is that test is a beast and drains the soul out of you for the months you spend studying beforehand....

And it tricks you with every level progressively much harder.

puffdaddy

Reaction score
I am not a CFA but I work in an area (equity research) where alot of my colleagues have it. Alot of our buy-side clients have it, as well.

I worked in banking before switching to research and I did not know of a single person who I worked with in banking who had it.

That said, I think the knowledge base is pretty good, but I echo the other posters who said it's a pretty big time commitment.

convexity

Reaction score
Whether or not it's worth it depends on what you want to do and for how long you want to do it. If you want to manage money, I would say it's extremely useful, both as a credential as well as in providing knowledge. Given the current state of the market, who knows what will be useful or recognized in the future. In the end, I feel that this is a credential for a seasoned professional to enhance his skill set. I think there are far too many people who try and use the charter as a stepping stone or an alternative to an MBA.
Whoever said that it drains your soul was right on! And I think it's way harder now than when I did it (99-01).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
And it tricks you with every level progressively much harder.

Supposedly level 2 is the hardest and level 3 ain't that bad.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Not really. It is beyond worthless when it comes to banking. I am not sure what "the corporate side" is.

Ummm your knowledge is clearly vast. Last time I checked banks of various kinds still employed a couple of analysts, in areas like research, risk, trading, asset management, debt & equity finance, structuring etc. And many corporates also seem to have treasuries and finance functions where people work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads