• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ceviche?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently tried ceviche for the first time -- the one I had was a mix of scallops and haddock with jalapeno, jicama (I think), onion, and potato over lettuce, heavy on the lime. I can't believe I've never had it before; it's right up my alley.

Has anyone made ceviche at home? Is it too difficult for an amateur cook?

As for going out, does anyone have a favorite style/variety/seafood for ceviche?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hear Dorsia has a great sea urchin ceviche.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some at a local upscale Mexican restaurant (not normally my preference for Mexican food - I like the real little ones where I'm the only white guy at the place, and you have to request a menu in English).

Some sort of firm white fish, shrimp, scallops, and octopus. It was great, had lots of chiles in it (real good kick to it), onions, and lots of lime. They served it with home made tortilla chips.

Not sure how to prepare it at home, but I share the love!

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoreman 1782,

Ceviche is very easy to accomplish at home, assuming you can find fresh ingredients. It can involve a lot of chopping. The thing to remember is that the process (acid (lemon, lime juice, etc) "cooking" the fish) cannot be hurried, so you have to plan accordingly, if you wish to serve it for a particular meal. I have made it 3 times, out of 3 different cookbooks, all of them decent renditions. The last time I made it for a group of friends, they all loved it, and nobody had ever had it before. I don't have a recipe to share, though, as it was from a book I borrowed from the library and I didn't think the recipe was so amazing it deserved to be photocopied and filed.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Now that I read this again, it sounds unbelievably good. I may have to seek this stuff out and give it a try.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
ooh, ceviche is the national dish of Peru.

i've had the regular kind, and the variation with shrimp and mussels i believe.
delicioussss.

i'd say hit up a peruvian restaurant.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ceviche is amazing though the one time I tried making it at home it gave me the ***** so I stopped.

If anyone is ever in Philly, Pasion has an excellent ceviche bar.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't like ceviche.

the basic ingredients are raw fish, lime juice, chopped onions and chopped tomatoes. i HATE onions and dislike tomatoes.

tangerine

Reaction score
I love ceviche, as long as the ingredients are fresh, I don't care what kind of seafood is in it.

Fabienne is 100% correct that you have to allow time for the citric acid to "cook" the fish. If you don't, you run the risk of having the problem whoopee reports.

I've never had one with potato in it, that sounds interesting.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made some at home last night. Only took me two years
smile.gif

I modified a recipe that basically threw together bay scallops, lime/lemon zest and juice, minced red onion, chopped jalapeno and red bell pepper, mint and cilantro. I ate it with tortilla chips. The recipe didn't specify a "cooking" time, but said to throw the ingredients together before serving--I refrigerated for an hour. Turned out pretty well--the scallops weren't "cooked" through, of course, but they were neither rubbery nor raw.

I may try actual fish next time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow, that is a long wait to try it...and then to remember the thread and post to it? I'm impressed.

I had a smoked scallop cerviche a couple of weeks ago as an appetizer. Pair with a viognier. An excellent combination!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
ooh, ceviche is the national dish of Peru.

Peruvian ceviche is excellent. There is a place called Lima's Taste in the West (?) Village in New York City which has stellar ceviche (and other Peruvian dishes as well). Highly recommended.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't see this thread before but of all the ceviche I've tried, my uncle's is the best. I've made it a few times at his restaurant and for friends. Somewhat of a time consuming process for a batch that serves 20 people but obviously it's worth it. I probably wouldn't bother making a batch smaller than 10 or so since you really begin to toy with the ingredients.

Costa Rican-style ceviche calls for:
-Tilapia
-Sugar
-Ginger Ale
-Fresh lime juice
-Onion
-Cilantro
-Bell Pepper
-Salt

The Ginger Ale helps to give it a bit of a sparkle while helping to balance the sour of the lime juice. If you're going to try fish, Shore, try this recipe.

Also, ceviche here is usually garnished with a dab or two of ketchup and/or hot sauce (chilero). Some people also like to add mayo, similar to what people do with tuna back home, but ymmv.

The crucial garnish that some people tend to forget is to serve the ceviche with an ice cold beer on the side. No beer=rookie mistake.

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
There are a few places in DC that do it well. There is one place that I can't quite remember, Jaleo perhaps?

In any case, it's quite easy to make at home as long as you get fresh, good quality seafood. It's only a matter of the right amount of acid to cook the fish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads