• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cesare Attolini -Sartorialist in Europe-

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
437dpvk.jpg
47l7azs.jpg

Scott writes:
I love the Neapolitan rope shoulder of this Attolini jacket. Its purpose is to give the wearer a stronger and more pronounced silhouette. The stronger shoulder also works to de-emphasize the waist by creating more of a V-shaped silhouette. Also, notice the higher-than-usual placement of the notch on the lapel of the jacket. Mr. Attolini feels that this higher placement works to visually heighten the torso and, in effect, make the wearer seem a bit more elongated.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Also, notice the higher-than-usual placement of the notch on the lapel of the jacket. Mr. Attolini feels that this higher placement works to visually heighten the torso and, in effect, make the wearer seem a bit more elongated.
Could not agree more. I stand a fraction of an inch shy of 5 foot 8; a high notch is literally the first thing I look for in a suit or jacket. That said, I like the second pic more than the first. The first one seems too extreme, its on his shoulder for chrissakes. It makes it look like the jacket's riding up on the back of his neck, like he's a hunchback or something.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I like either of those coats. The first gives a very simian impression. Looks like the guy has huge head and long arms with a tiny body. The second has too much flair in the skirt and appears to be some sort of court-wear from the 16th century. He should have on tights instead of pants and little leather shoes that curl up at the toe.

edit: I'm sorry. Drunk posting.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Jack's defense, the guy in the first picture does seem to have a very large head in relation to his body. Which combined with the extremely high gorge makes for an unattractive and unharmonious appearance. The man in the second picture looks much better (both clothes-wise and body-wise), although certain aspects of his ensemble aren't really my cup of tea (the shape of his shirt collar, for instance).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Can't say I like either of those coats. The first gives a very simian impression. Looks like the guy has huge head and long arms with a tiny body. The second has too much flair in the skirt and appears to be some sort of court-wear from the 16th century. He should have on tights instead of pants and little leather shoes that curl up at the toe.

edit: I'm sorry. Drunk posting.

I think the reason the flare happens is because his arms are crossed.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
437dpvk.jpg

This is an example of a more modern, fashion forward model from Attolini. I don`t think the guy wearing the jacket in the pic looks good, but if you are looking for a modern cut (slim fitting, skinny lapels, high gorge, etc.) with good construction, it would be a great choice.

Also, I like the natural shoulders more than the roped shoulders.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think the reason the flare happens is because his arms are crossed.
Yes, but the too long skirt of the jacket and the fact that it is not darted all of the way to the bottom also contribute. FWIW, the second jacket looks pretty damn good to me. The first one is not so great.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like roped shoulders. But also the other. ARGH can't decide which I like better, they both look great to my eye in different ways

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love the look of the pinstripe, the the first coat strikes me as just a bit short but my what wonderful shoulders.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
The jacket on the left looks like it was fitted by Thom Browne. Too short, and the jacket is pulling a little in the waist. Let the poor guy breathe a little.

I like the suit on the right. The sleeve buttons seem kind of far from the end of the cuff though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the guy on left looks great, has a unique vibe to his choices that makes you think that he dresses very deliberately. Great jacket, I think the super high gorge is interesting, not sure if I'd like it that high, but I enjoy small details like that which separate his gear from everyone else's that follows the 'rules'.

the guy on right looks fine, albeit a bit nondescript to me. Looks like your typical conservatively well-dressed fella that will turn your loan down.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For whatever reason I can't seem to find these photos on his site or GQ, whats the deal?

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
437dpvk.jpg

I was under the impression that Attolini(and other Neapolitan tailors) only makes 3 button jackets. Judging by the lapel width and button stance, that jacket looks like a 2 button.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I was under the impression that Attolini(and other Neapolitan tailors) only makes 3 button jackets. Judging by the lapel width and button stance, that jacket looks like a 2 button.

It`s hard to tell, because the 3rd button (top one) might be hidden under the lapel.

Attolini and other Neapolitan tailors will make 1 button and 2 button jackets, although 3 button (usually rolled to 2 or 2.5) jackets are the most common.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads