• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cesare Attolini Appreciation Thread

Michael Jondral

Reaction score
For the Attolini Admirers we have a truly special addition to our curated collection:

Bildschirmfoto_2019-03-15_um_20.17.40_1024x1024.jpg

The details that make the difference - Introducing a unique range of Knit-Wear by Cesare Attolini!

DUVET Cashmere is the result of a unique artisan know-how.

The final result is attained, in fact, through a very specific process. The fabric is woven using specially modified machines that come with a
number of tricks which are the fruit of years of experience.

This allows the presence of much more yarn within the knit, which thus becomes much more compact.

Consider the fact that a crew neck sweater in 100% cashmere widely regarded to be of good quality weighs approximately 220 g, while the same 100% cashmere pieces undergoing the DUVET process will weigh approximately 350 g using the same model.

The garment is washed exclusively in water from Lake Trasimeno, using an intensive washing system that lasts for about 50 minutes; whereas a 100% cashmere garment is normally washed for between 3 and 6 minutes, but with the use of soaps or fabric softeners.

The naturally iron-rich waters of the lake, in combination with this special weaving technique and the intensive washing, allow the
fibre to expand fully.

The result is a knit garment with a unique “hand” which, above all else, is completely free from pilling.

Discover the Knitwear Range here:

https://en.michaeljondral.com/collections/cesare-attolini/filter-type-strick

We will be adding further Duvet Cashmere Sweaters in the next weeks!

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is fit compared to isaia/Kiton for those that own both? Seems similar?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Below is a post I put up earlier in this thread that includes some response to your question.
Thanks for starting this thread for us Attolini fans.

That Patrick Stewart clip is excellent and entertaining, even if only 3 seconds.

I think it's acknowledged that Attolini's cut is very slim, typically. And to me, there is something about their silhouette that is simply the most appealing and elegant - compared to Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, that I've tried on, or own.

I've found Kiton RTW to have a longer jacket cut, and unless one has very long legs (like their models), I find it has an unflattering effect and feels to me more like putting on a pajama top - to make an exaggerated analogy. While Attolini, with a bit more waist suppression, and tending towards shorter jacket length, has an opposite effect.

Here's a couple good discussions on Attolini's fit and distinctive elements:

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/what-makes-attolini-suits-so-striking.49399/

http://dieworkwear.com/post/4808204434/italian-menswear-series-part-viii-cesare

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is a post I put up earlier in this thread that includes some response to your question.

Thanks, so it's fair to say they're even more slim than the typical Isaia cut?

I'm basically looking to grab a nice classic navy/charcoal suit and figured I'd go all out for something that I can wear pretty much forever.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, so it's fair to say they're even more slim than the typical Isaia cut?

I'm basically looking to grab a nice classic navy/charcoal suit and figured I'd go all out for something that I can wear pretty much forever.

I do not have a ton of personal experience with Isaia, and each maker has various cuts, like Isaia used to have the Base "V", "S", etc. Attolini is known to be cut pretty close to the body. I generally fit a size 40 in Attolini, but 38 in a lot of other makers. Sounds like you may want to invest in an MTM is you can get to the Attolini boutique in NYC.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not have a ton of personal experience with Isaia, and each maker has various cuts, like Isaia used to have the Base "V", "S", etc. Attolini is known to be cut pretty close to the body. I generally fit a size 40 in Attolini, but 38 in a lot of other makers. Sounds like you may want to invest in an MTM is you can get to the Attolini boutique in NYC.

Interesting! Thank you. MTM is probably overkill for me @ this point given my weight fluctuates between 175 - 200lb frequently.

MarkWinter

Reaction score

Compared to Isaia, Attolini has wider and more generous shoulders and longer in length. The overall fit is just better, a nice hourglass shape on the body. It's more structured, a cleaner look, but it feels extremely comfortable. Attolini also has more distinctive lapels and shoulder construction, which contributes to the whole effect.

Last edited:

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with Isaia, but between Kiton and Attolini, I'd say Attolini has more fitted silhouette, and more structure in the shoulders. Keep in mind however that both makers have different cuts. One Attolini jacket I own has zero shoulder padding and spalla camicia type shoulder, while other two have con rollino and a bit of structure/padding.
Some say that Attolini's is the "most English of all Neapolitean tailors" in that they do have structure in the shoulders and that hourglass silhouette as others have mentioned.
I find Attolini fits me better. As to why, I have no scientific explanation.

Best thing is to try it your self, as always. Let us know what are your observations.

BXpress

Reaction score
Another Attolini tie for a great price. Recently i really started appreciating Jacquard.
Atojacquard.jpg

MarkWinter

Reaction score
Here is one of our favorite Cesare Attolini sportcoat, as part of a summer business look. It has all the signature Neapolitan details like doppio impuntura topstitching, spalla camicia shoulder and barchetta breast pocket. The fabric is a lightweight wool/silk in a beautiful brown plaid pattern. The jacket is half lined for extra breathability, a great option for summer.

untitled-8-Edit_3000px90q.jpg

shackletonian

Reaction score
Had my first custom order experience. I purchased an Attolini blazer off eBay that was a unique hue of blue (cobalt with shades of violet) in a medium super 130s. Maybe an atypical decision, but I really wanted to get matching trousers so that I could use it as a suit because it was so vibrant. I went with my fiancee (who works in bridal) to a number of shops to see whether they could produce matching trousers, but the fabric was unique.

I reached out to the CA shop in NYC and had an extremely responsive and excellent experience communicating. They checked the tag for the fabric ID and confirmed that they still had some fabric in Italy. I live a bit of a way from NYC, so they suggested that I could send a pair of pants that fit me well, and they could use that to make pants from their fabric. I was a bit hesitant, but used some of my regular RL wool pants (that are slightly stretchy) after confirming with my better half that they fit best of the pants I have.

I worried whether the fabric (new) would match older fabric from the roll, whether the condition would be different, and whether the fit would be good - or require alterations (and undermining one of the traits of C.A., the handiwork).

After about 2 months, I got my pants in the mail (and my old pair back). I had not anticipated being so impressed. The fabric was a perfect match (to the blazer from eBay), vibrant and soft. Even more impressive was the fit. Somehow, they must have looked at the old pants, seen how they were being worn, and adjusted to make their pants fit perfectly. These pants are better fitting, without any in-person interaction, than pants I've had tailored to fit me.

It was my first custom clothing order - and I couldn't be happier. It's not something that I can afford but once in a blue moon (my fiancee agreed to these pants to be part of a suit/outfit for engagement and formal or stylish events), but it did make me appreciate the difference between OTR and custom order.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first custom order experience. I purchased an Attolini blazer off eBay that was a unique hue of blue (cobalt with shades of violet) in a medium super 130s. Maybe an atypical decision, but I really wanted to get matching trousers so that I could use it as a suit because it was so vibrant. I went with my fiancee (who works in bridal) to a number of shops to see whether they could produce matching trousers, but the fabric was unique.

I reached out to the CA shop in NYC and had an extremely responsive and excellent experience communicating. They checked the tag for the fabric ID and confirmed that they still had some fabric in Italy. I live a bit of a way from NYC, so they suggested that I could send a pair of pants that fit me well, and they could use that to make pants from their fabric. I was a bit hesitant, but used some of my regular RL wool pants (that are slightly stretchy) after confirming with my better half that they fit best of the pants I have.

I worried whether the fabric (new) would match older fabric from the roll, whether the condition would be different, and whether the fit would be good - or require alterations (and undermining one of the traits of C.A., the handiwork).

After about 2 months, I got my pants in the mail (and my old pair back). I had not anticipated being so impressed. The fabric was a perfect match (to the blazer from eBay), vibrant and soft. Even more impressive was the fit. Somehow, they must have looked at the old pants, seen how they were being worn, and adjusted to make their pants fit perfectly. These pants are better fitting, without any in-person interaction, than pants I've had tailored to fit me.

It was my first custom clothing order - and I couldn't be happier. It's not something that I can afford but once in a blue moon (my fiancee agreed to these pants to be part of a suit/outfit for engagement and formal or stylish events), but it did make me appreciate the difference between OTR and custom order.
Great story with a great outcome. Thanks for sharing and nice to know that CA was so accommodating.

shackletonian

Reaction score
Thanks! The color is very difficult to capture - and shows best in natural light. When paired with a light blue, the violet comes out more. With a pink, it is more strongly blue. I tried to take two photos in slightly different light to capture the dynamic.

IMG_6679.JPG
Great story with a great outcome. Thanks for sharing and nice to know that CA was so accommodating.

IMG_6681.JPG

fastlane

Reaction score
I dont know if he posted it here, but fellow gentleman Michael Jondral ist having an extra 20% discount on already discounted Attolini garments!!! Some amount 35% + the 20% - thats insane!!!

check out for yourselves: https://en.michaeljondral.com/collections/anzug-sakko

If I wasnt a MTM customer with Attolini, I would for sure snap this bad boy here - to the likings of Roger Moore...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics