Cesare Attolini 7-Fold Silk Tie Construction/quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

I have some Cesare Attolini 7-Fold Silk Ties

[​IMG]

The are available at Shopthefinest.com

I believe these are self tipped as shown and use the same silk as the front leading me to believe they are indeed 7 fold of the highest manner?

They are quite light/thin yet I've noticed the fabric and sheen are extraordinary; and after getting a bit used to them they tie an excellent knot.
    *However, they are UNLIKE any other tie I've seen as they are so light and thin yet they are 7 folds?

Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences as I do find them quite different than any other tie I've seen.
    What's the 411?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

IMO, this is an artisan type tie done by a big factory and they don't quite pull it off. An untipped tie is my favorite style, but these pale in comparison to the good ones that you find in Naples.

3. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I have some of these too (and agree they are great) - they are not self-tipped. It is a single piece of silk wrapped around a liner with a hand-stitched edge, much like you'd see on a pocket square. I don't know if it's seven, four or however many folds - I just like the way they knot.

edit - well, I guess I agree with the OP but haven't had the chance to compare to artisinal makers as iammatt has done.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

IMO, this is an artisan type tie done by a big factory and they don't quite pull it off. An untipped tie is my favorite style, but these pale in comparison to the good ones that you find in Naples.

Pics?
    Where does one find good ones in Naples?

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Pics?
    Where does one find good ones in Naples?

Pretty much anywhere that sells ties in Naples other than Marinella. They might make them, but not RTW. The construction tends to be softer (look at the edges) and the stitching is nicer.
    [​IMG]

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I agree...I don`t think the Attolini ties are seven folds.

The silk is nice and makes for a good knot, and the contruction is very light. I like this combination of good silk with light construction so over 80% of my ties are Attolini...on the other hand, I think some people will hate this type of tie since it may seem a little "flimsy"...especially toward the tip of the tie.

as iammatt pointed out, Rubinacci makes very nice ties and I think they use better silk and better contruction than Attolini (and pretty much everyone else out there)...the downside is that the silk patterns are too conservative...but that's just personal taste.

7. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I think Attolini makes a beautiful 7 fold tie. Unlike Borrelli and Kiton 7 fold ties, Attolini ties that I have are not not lined with self fabric (it is made up of a piece of slik wrapping around of canvas). This makes the tie lighter also makes a beautiful big soft knot.

8. iyorito

iyorito Senior member

I recommend E.G.Cappelli on via Cavalerizza a Chiaia