• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cerutti suits

aybojs

Reaction score
I've been looking for a tux in the $500-600 range recently and saw a Super 120's tux by Cerutti at bluefly. Though I've heard the name Cerutti a lot, I'm unfamiliar with the quality of their lines. I believe they have one line that sells in low-end department stores (Nino Cerutti, I think?) and a higher end one with suits in the $1,000+ range (Cerutti 1881?), but I don't know where the Cerutti suits at bluefly fall. I was curious if anybody could take a look at the suits on bluefly and post if they know anything about the quality of fabric and construction (fused or canvas front?) and the cuts of the suit(s) in question. The other thing of note is that the tux is apparently in charcoal instead of black; I can't see much difference from the online pictures, but would this stick out like a sore thumb at a black tie event?
While I'm at it, I might as well ask if anyone has any other recommendations for a nice tux in the above price range, in case this one sells out or I decide not to buy it.

pstoller

Reaction score
I can't tell from looking whether these are from the Nino Cerruti line, which often features fused construction, or the Cerruti 1881 line, which is usually very fine stuff indeed. If I were you, I'd email Bluefly and ask.

I'm not sure how I feel about charcoal vs. black. I assume you aren't a size 42, or you'd be snatching up the black super 150s tux with the same cut.

aybojs

Reaction score
ah well, it appears now that the last tuxedo in my size has been sold or is in someone else's shopping cart, but I'll send bluefly an e-mail and ask for future reference.

guess i'll have to go back to checking out my local stores for a decent tux in my price range.

Edit: well apparently the tuxedo I wanted was in someone else's cart, as it showed up in stock again; now I just can't decide if it's worth it to buy a tuxedo that fits all of my major specifications, but is charcoal instead of black. Things would be much easier if I were a 42 and could get that nice black super 150's tuxedo instead :/

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P. Stoller, on a related topic, Bluefly also has some nice flat front trousers from Cerutti in grey and camel. It doesn't say which line, but they are $125, which seems pricey for Bluefly.  Do you know much about their trousers, and if they are Cerutti 1881, (I imagine they are, because they claim the list price is in the $220 range) does the price sound right?

aybojs:  My apologies for butting in here, but while you are on the subject of Cerutti, I thought I'd bring this up here instead of starting a new thread.

pstoller

Reaction score
Bluefly also has some nice flat front trousers from Cerutti in grey and camel. It doesn't say which line, but they are $125, which seems pricey for Bluefly. Do you know much about their trousers, and if they are Cerutti 1881, (I imagine they are, because they claim the list price is in the $220 range) does the price sound right?
Seems a tad steep to me, but I'm a cheapskate.
smile.gif
Because the Cerruti label doesn't have the big name recognition of some of the other designers, I'd risk waiting it out for a steeper discount. But, again, email Bluefly and ask if they're 1881 trousers. I'm not that familiar with how C. 1881 compares to, say, Zanella or Incotex when it comes to trousers, but I'm sure they're nothing to sneeze at. The list of big-name designers who've done the menswear for a season or two at Cerruti 1881 is formidable.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cerutti 1881 is quite a reputable company which, like Zegna, started as a fabric mill. It is my distinct impression that the label has nothing to do with Nino Cerutti, under whom Armani got his start. The prices sound about right. In any given Neiman's, their suits start at about the high end of Hugo Boss suits, between about $800-$1000. In my experience, the suits are fairly slim fitting, especially around the shoulders. In Germany, the suits go for about $500 (Eu500) at their outlet stores.

pstoller

Reaction score
Cerutti 1881 is quite a reputable company which, like Zegna, started as a fabric mill. It is my distinct impression that the label has nothing to do with Nino Cerutti, under whom Armani got his start.
It's a mistaken impression.
smile.gif
Cerruti was founded in 1881 as a fabric mill, as you say. Nino Cerruti took over the company in the 1950s, and transformed it into one of the first (if not the first) vertical clothing companies, starting with the "Hitman" label in 1957. Nino ran the company until it was purchased by Fin.part in 2001. It turns out that "Cerruti" is the couture label, while "Cerruti 1881" is a diffusion line (as is "Cerruti Jeans"). The "Nino Cerruti" label is the relatively cheap stuff made under license to department stores, which is to be avoided.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.Stoller, I did write Bluefly and they said all of the Cerruti stuff they sell on Bluefly is 1881, so perhaps the price isn't bad afterall. That would include the tux that Aybojs was asking about.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m bumping this 20-year old thread because I saw this Cerutti 3-piece suit on eBay and was wondering if anyone could opine on it’s possible quality. Would this have a fused jacket? I like the design, especially the shawl collar vest.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m bumping this 20-year old thread because I saw this Cerutti 3-piece suit on eBay and was wondering if anyone could opine on it’s possible quality. Would this have a fused jacket? I like the design, especially the shawl collar vest.

I don’t think it’s a suit by Cerruti. They have a full size run and what’s more, in the description they say “We can make you a custom bespoke suit in any size using our super 150 Cerruti wool fabric in 6-8 week for only $700”.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a suit by Cerruti. They have a full size run and what’s more, in the description they say “We can make you a custom bespoke suit in any size using our super 150 Cerruti wool fabric in 6-8 week for only $700”.

Thanks. Good observation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads