• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cerruti 1881 Wool Pants - Worth the investment?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
As I continue to build up the staples to a quality wardrobe, one of the things I've been hunting down is a medium-grey wool trouser. This particular Cerruti 1881 flat front is right up my alley - seems to be high quality fabric from what I've seen in past 1881 threads on this forum, but of the other deals on ebay for mid-grey wool flat front quality trousers, I have nothing to gauge their value relative to other options online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWT100-AUTH-CER...S_CSA_MC_Pants

at $80-$90, are these a good investment? I picked up a $200 pair of Harold Powell trousers for $35 shipped, and figured $14 shipped wasn't a huge risk for a pair of 100% Wool Greg Peters slacks, but the former are patterned, and the latter are potentially hit-or-miss on quality (I mean seriously, $14 shipped?).

Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

-Evan

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of these pants exactly, but what I can tell you is that cerruti did license it's name to a number of operations, from mills make cerruti fabric to license holders who made apparel. I am not sure when and if they have taken specific operations in-house.

Their womens clothing is considered among the best, however. The problem again in the licensing, as the diffusion lines were licensed.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are not an investment. They are pants and will be worth 75% less once you wear them.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Pants are not an investment. They are pants and will be worth 75% less once you wear them.

Semantics. I'm not looking to turn a long term profit, so perhaps I just worded things poorly. I'm just trying to figure out if $90 shipped is a great deal on these pants, or if people would recommend I keep looking for a better deal.

-Evan

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price point, you are probably better off picking up a pair of Incotex, Mabitex, of the Made In Italy Polos off of B&S or maybe FleaBay...

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
At that price point, you are probably better off picking up a pair of Incotex, Mabitex, of the Made In Italy Polos off of B&S or maybe FleaBay...
Perfect, that's what I was wondering. Thank you very much!

-Evan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads