• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

CEO: How should a CEO of a major corporation dress?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching Donald Trump posing for pics in ill fitting suits and super shiny Brioni? ties the other night on tv. etc. etc.

So how do you think a top executive at the majority of firms should dress?
---Yes, there are always the exceptions.

I'll start with few examples that look pretty smart, sharp and authoritative.

Ellison's just up for the classic white shirt/red tie/dark suit power look.

Any good examples???

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Thomas Crown outfit might seem great, because it works on many of the details we seem to notice - showing cuff, three piece, high gorge, pocket square - but it's actually really off kilter and he looks like he's wearing a neck brace. That said, Brosnan's Bond always looked CEO-ish.

Gianni Agnelli's brand of conservative and confident dress is ideal.

Beckwith

Reaction score
I meant to start this thread a while back after attending a conference with major media CEO's. They are a horribly dressed bunch. It seems that with their presence and position they would spend money on clothing that fits them well and improves their appearance. Guess not.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren

Gianni Agnelli.

Agnelli wins. There's no comparison, really.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
but it's actually really off kilter and he [Brosnan playing Thomas Crown] looks like he's wearing a neck brace.
I agree that the shirt collar is too high. Another problem is that the jacket, although precisely at the textbook length, appears too long to my eyes (with pockets to high). Other than that what problems do you find in this outfit?

Duveen

Reaction score
Agnelli is certainly the best-dressed of that bunch, but we knew that already. To the thread topic, however, I always thought that he looked more like an investor than a CEO. He always seemed at ease, like a man with a great fortune. His elegance and bearing indicate that he is very powerful man, certainly, but one who is more of a man of leisure than a buttoned-down operations guy... That certainly doesn't preclude him (or anyone else with sprezzatura) from actually being a CEO, but if part of what we are talking about is projecting the classic type-A power-player look, I'd say that Agnelli doesn't quite fit the mold. Although many don't like his style, I think that Chirac looks typically 'CEO' - sober, authoritative and serious... All this said, I don't think I would want to go for the typical 'CEO look' unless I were actually getting paid that $$ and also just about to present to stockholders/the street. That level of formality and sobriety is more like a salesman's uniform than a real expression of one's dress sense.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Lately two styles seem to have emerged: the golden parachute and the jail stripe.

"How should a CEO of a major corporation dress?" Any way he wants to!

Seriously, I think he should dress appropriately for the occasion, as others have implied. That does not necessarily mean always striving for the "power look". I would say Agnelli is probably my everyday ideal, with the power look reserved for important presentation days. If I worked with a bunch of sharks, though, I would aim for the intimidating power look on a full-time basis.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Agnelli wins. There's no comparison, really.

Agnelli looked the part, I agree. The fact that from some angles he looks a bit like my grandfather is an added bonus

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about like Steve Balmer?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Yes. Well, I would assume anyone given the epithet "monkey-boy" would be out of running for the best dressed title.

"DEVELOPEEEEEEEEEERS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

---For the love of God man, sweaty dudes should wear an V neck undershirt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%