1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Century 21 v. nm last call

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, May 18, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

The Isaia post got me thinking. Having been to neither store, which one gives you the best bang for your buck/chances of a great bargain?

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Johnny:

I've been to both multiple times, and I hate to sound like a broken record. But it completely depends on timing. Some days there's nothing, and other days you've got 20 Isaias.

I've found that sales at both dept and spec stores often have pricing as good, and a better selection. The only way outlets have the best deals are if they've been marked down at the outlet a couple of times, and that's not likely to happen if it's good stuff. Someone else will snap it up.

Word of caution, however. Don't buy it just because it's a great deal. I've made that mistake, and some pretty nice stuff I was all excited about in the moment ended up on E-Bay or at Goodwill. Make sure it fits with your overall wardrobe strategy, and looks good on you, not just on the rack.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Thanks, Steve. That's a little odd -- but perhaps enlightening -- that you think that sales at dept. stores can be just as good. In your experience, could I pick up a suit at the regular Neiman Marcus super sales (the "last call" sales, I guess) at over 50% off? I particularly like Hickey Freeman suits -- I just think they are a great deal and I love the fabrics and patterns -- and know that Filene's Basement has them for about $450 during their suit sales. Could I really do THIS well at a department store sale?

Also, I'm always afraid to go into "men's stores" like Mr. Sid's, etc. because I know that I can't afford full price -- nor would I pay full price even if I could -- at those stores, and I feel silly asking if they have sales (do stores like that really have sales?).

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Johnny:

Actually you'd be better off looking for Hickey at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack or a specialty store. I frequently see Hickeys in the $500 range at half yearly sales at Nordstroms, if not at the first markdown, then definitely the second. I've never seen a Filene's that impressed me, but I've only been to the one on Michigan Ave in Chicago. You guys keep raving about the ones in Boston and DC- I'll definitely have to check those out next time.

As far as spec stores and their sales people's attitudes toward sale customers, it depends on the store. Most good spec stores should know that sale customers are a vital part of their business, and become regular price customers and trunk show (Custom/MTM) customers as their income increases. And many customers like myself and I'll wager most of the members of this Forum are both simuiltaneously. We love a good bargain, but if we see something really good that has just the touch of personal style we're looking for, we'll buy it at full price.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Steve's right. Don't be intimidated by the salespeople/pricepoint of the store. If some snooty salesperson (and is it just me, but are the older male salespeople the retail equivalent of a waiter at a Jewish Deli?) condescends to you, ask him very politely to please remove the pickle from his rectum. I did that once at a second tier men's store in NYC masquerading as Bergdorfs, after giving the ignoramus a lesson about the difference between Tom Ford's YSL Rive Gauche and Gucci lines, and the salesman didn't know what to do with himself. I told him that if he wanted to impress me, he ought to at least take a little pride in what he did for a living.