• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cell Phone Etiquette (Big Deal or Not?)

singhstyle

Reaction score
Well, I was sitting at a restaurant yesterday... Applebees (nothing too fancy) and I noticed a male of about twenty or twenty one years of age texting away on his cell phone while he was with family. I thought it was rude, but then again, I thought "why not? I will post this on SF and see what everyone else has to say about cell phone etiquette." So, what is the view you guys have on its use... when it should never be used and when it is ok to text. Post whatever you want in response to this but stay on topic please. Cheers.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rude, perhaps, but ubiquitous. It's at the point where I see entire families on their cell phones in restaurants. I'd say it's particularly excusable at Applebee's, one step up from McDonalds.

KenN

Reaction score
I've seen people tapping on their blackberries at church during prayers.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A quick text is okay in a group.

A quick text is a bit rude at a 1on1 dinner (friends). Excusable if only once. Repeating is rude.

A quick text at a data is kind of rude already. Repeating it is a complete slap in the face.

Checking a phone very briefly is alright in all but the most formal of situations. With friends it is completely acceptable.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went out with a girl once who kept checking her phone every half hour. it was pretty offending, as if she was waiting some other guy's message.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
txting may be the stupidest thing in the world. get rid of that and then create 'cell phone' booths (like old fashioned telephone booths in the same types of spots) that people would have to enter in order for their cell phone to work

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if you are at dinner even pulling your phone out or having it on ring is rude. Just my HO.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in a group of friends trying to arrange an evening, I consider texting and calling to be acceptable.

I certainly would not text when meeting in any more formal circumstance.

I find it incredibly rude when someone uses their cellphone on a date. I once watched a guy eat his entire meal while the girl he was on a date with babbled into her phone the whole time. She never touched her food. If I was the guy, I would have excused myself for the bathroom and then just left the restaurant, leaving her with the bill.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse

I find it incredibly rude when someone uses their cellphone on a date. I once watched a guy eat his entire meal while the girl he was on a date with babbled into her phone the whole time. She never touched her food. If I was the guy, I would have excused myself for the bathroom and then just left the restaurant, leaving her with the bill.

And I would slap you a high five and buy you a drink.
laugh.gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
txting may be the stupidest thing in the world. get rid of that and then create 'cell phone' booths (like old fashioned telephone booths in the same types of spots) that people would have to enter in order for their cell phone to work

exactly... I don't understand how anyone could be so important that they'd need to be reached via their phone every second of everyday anywhere in the entire world.

cellphones are a tool, they should be used as such.

I would enjoy if a non-fatal lightning bolt struck a person who was talking on their phone/texting in church. If you believe in God enough to be there then He is important to you... atleast as important as a job interview, or high tea with her majesty et cetera...

I think cellphones have lowered the quality of communication amongst people these days.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I think if you are at dinner even pulling your phone out or having it on ring is rude. Just my HO.
I feel the same way, it's rude.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
How about cellphones only work in the restrooms of restaurants? Not the dining area.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
How about cellphones only work in the restrooms of restaurants? Not the dining area.

I'm not sure I'd like to be in a men's room fulll of people on the phone...and I don't think I'd like to be on the other end of a call and hearing toilets flush...
smile.gif

I think in any small group social situation, it's rude to use your phone. Excuse yourself, and make your call quick if you absolutely must take the call. I also think it's a sign of respect to the other person to make it clear you're refusing calls by silencing your phone. If you'd rather be talking to someone else, why are you there?

Just my thoughts...

jag

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
I think in any small group social situation, it's rude to use your phone. Excuse yourself, and make your call quick if you absolutely must take the call. I also think it's a sign of respect to the other person to make it clear you're refusing calls by silencing your phone. If you'd rather be talking to someone else, why are you there?

Just my thoughts...

jag

I kind of agree with this but when you say small group situation I don't really include hanging out with my friends. However, for dinners and stuff - definitely.

I will screen my calls and if it's someone important, I'll say "excuse me, but I have to take this" e.g. I was with my fiancee (g/f at the time) having dinner and my father called. If it was one of my buddies, I'd have let it go to voicemail. I think it's extremely rude to be chatting on the phone when you're at dinner; even more so when it's just you and another person.

tricota

Reaction score
As long as people are only texting, I am normally okay with it. It is far worce, when they start talking among other people, about deeply personal things, on their phones. I really cant take that. It is at those times. I love my iPod the most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads