1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CEGO shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newyorker, May 14, 2005.

1. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Hi all, I had some shirts made by Carl at CEGO, and wanted to recommend them as a terrific source for custom shirts, whether you're looking for entry-level shirts or anything below perfection. I am very happy with the quality of the shirts. I think they are much higher quality than one would think given the price (please direct pricing questioins to shirtmaven). I am also pleased with the service and quick turnaround. Carl will give you his frank opinion. He steered me away from some fabrics because they do not match my complexion, and he was quite obsessive about fit. He will give you his advice, but will let you have it your way, which I think is a good way to do it. [​IMG] I cannot give an in-depth reviews except that I like the shirts, they fit me well, and they look attractive. Pearl buttons are used and for the red shirt, antique red pearl buttons are used. Stop by Carl's place some time.

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

2 questions...

1/ what color is the top one? pink or peach?

2/ could you post a pic of yourself wearing one so we can see how they fit and hopefully lure Carl into some discussion on the project

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I like, although I would only wear the red as a casual shirt. I'd really like to try CEGO out sometime. Have to get to NYC first, though.

4. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

The shirt at the top is pink. It is a 100% cotton fabric but has a great linen-like weave. I won't post pictures of myself weariing the shirt - I'm too shy :)

The red shirt is my favorite by far. The buttons were from 20 years ago, according to Carl. The red and pink shirts are for casual wear only.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I absolutely LOVE the blue stripe shirt. I have a similar one in french blue bengal stripe. Yours looks like a two-tone...very smart indeed.

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

The pink I would certainly wear with a tie. Why wouldn't you? I love my pink H&K.

You could post a picture with your head cut out of it. See the "What Are You Wearing Now" thread for many examples.

7. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I wear light pink shirts to the office all the time. The reason why the above pink shirt is designated casual is because of its texture - it has a linen-like weave and is very slightly sheer (for the summer).

8. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

It's actually french blue with triple thin white stripes [​IMG]

9. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I like the red shirt a lot because of the buttons and because it is actually not a solid red fabric but an end-to-end one which gives a very pleasing shade. Slightly fashionable without being flamboyant or crass.

10. ttam

ttam Member

Good looking shirts newyorker.  Are CEGO shirts MTM or bespoke (i.e., a new pattern cut for each customer)?  Or does Carl offer both services?  Also, what is the minimum shirt order and where are they located?  Thanks.

11. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Yes, a new pattern is cut for each customer. Carl, please give your input here. There is no minimum, I don't think. Carl may be able to create a sample shirt for you even, if you are purchasing several shirts (ask Carl). They are location in the Lower East Side. http://www.cego.com

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

FYI: 22nd and 5th is not the Lower East Side; it is the Flatiron District. In fact, Carl is on the west side of 5th, so techinically he is on the West Side.

13. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Maybe it's time for me to consider changing my username.

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The shirts look great. I have to get in touch with Carl...

15. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Very nice shirts newyorker--love that pink one.

Let me also add that Carl is a pleasure to work with and has a great eye for fit. I've only received the sample shirt so far but intend to place a real order when time permits.

16. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Thanks. I'm wearing Carl's pink shirt now, with sleeves rolled up, plus my Brooks Bros navy chinos, Dunhill tan belt and Polo RL burnished tan oxford shoes. Heading to Chinatown with friends on a bright Sunday afternoon. Life is good.

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

That red shirt looked really sharp if I say so myself. The buttons were really nice. Dyed red MOP.That was 1 100/2 from italy. The ppale pin shirt was a 100% cotton linen weave also from Italy. The Blue stripe was 100/2 from japan. The whole concept of MTM/Bespoke is all very confusing to most people. To clarify my process of making shirts for customers. I have two ways of producing shirts. I work with Skip gambert for my opening price point shirt. These start at $85 for a basic 50/1 pima cotton. I have worked with him for over 20 years. He produces an excellent and well made garment. I have learned to manipulate and adjust his patterns and process to get what I want in 2-3 weeks. Measurements are taken. All the things are taken into consideration from your shoulder slope to how large your watch is. I find out how you want the shirt to fit.  Fabric is chosen and details are discussed. I have a book of fabrics that are stocked in NJ and I also have an office full of interesting fabric. I am not going to sell you a 50/1 broadcloth if you are used to 140/2. You will not be happy. I recently sold a  cotton/poly shirt to a customer who was used to better. He wanted the pattern of the shirt. I advised him and he was fine with it. The workroom then inputs all of my specs into the computer and a paper marker is produced. The shirts are then cut by hand with a short knife. Patterns are not matched yoke to sleeve or sleeve placket to sleeve. Only on really large patterns will you notice if this does not happen. The workroom does a great job of lining up fronts. This is done via a chain stitch machine. The side seams are single needle closed. The shirts come through with a nice looking plastic button. A pearl button can be requested at an additional charge. I am not fond of the MOP button that they use. I find it a little small. I will sometimes change buttons for my MOP. My only complaint is the use of white thread on certain shirts where I would prefer an off-white or tan colored thread. There are certain shirts I will not sell from their line because I am not pleased with the look of the white thread. All in all it is an excellent shirt. I also have 6 tailors who work for me. One upstairs shares space with an alteration tailor. The others work from their homes. Two are these quite old Chinese brothers. Their work is amazing. Their English isn't. We speak in shirt since I do not speak chinese. One is an Albanian woman who trained in Italy. One is an older Carribean fellow, another is Dominican and the most recent tailor is from Venenzuela. HE worked for many years in Miami for Bertini. These tailors work on more demanding and difficult work that SKip Gambert could not handle. All work in different fashions. Some create paper patterns, others just chalk in measurements on the fabric. My job is to figure out which one will give me what I want for my customers. These shirts start at $125.These can sometime be turned around in a day if the need is there. New yorker's work was made by one of these tailors. He is a rather difficult fit. He has very square narrow shoulders. his head posture is a bit forward. He first came to me to fix some nicely made but Ill fitting Jantzen shirts. I was quite pleased with the fit on his shirts. In either situation, I prefer to start slowly. One or two shirts. The last thing I want to do is start fixing collars on 1/2 doz. shirts. I don't make much money on single shirts. I prefer tobuild confidence and get it right then over sell. Is this custom,MTM, bespoke? Who cares. The shirts fit. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. cegocs@aol.com New Yorker, thanks for posting the photos.. Carl

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My sentiments exactly. I'm looking for someone like you - upfront and unpretentious about their work, but proud of it. When wedding finances are put in order, there are some rather unusual shirt I'd like to get made, and I may just need to seek you out.

19. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Is this custom,MTM, bespoke? Who cares. The shirts fit.
    My sentiments exactly. Â I'm looking for someone like you - upfront and unpretentious about their work, but proud of it. Â
    I can attest to that. Pleasant person with which to deal and has a no bs attitude. Carl, will try to swing by Wednesday. Have 2 little blondes that need a visit in DC the next couple of days. I won't post pics [​IMG]

20. ttam

ttam Member

Carl - Thanks for clarifying your processes.  It would appear you do an excellent shirt at a fair price.  Appreciate the helpful post.

Regards,
    Tom