• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cedar Tie Holder

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not bad. My ties are generally hung, too.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
As long as you're not moving it around much, it's fine.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't put ties on or near cedar, just because it has a tendency to have splintery edges that will easily catch on delicate silk. There's no benefit to having aromatic cedar near silk, either.

At the moment, I hang most of mine on a cheesy rack with brass loops that all swing out and retract together. Though I wouldn't recommend the thing I have, hanging definitely seems to be the most space efficient way to store ties, along with making them easier to look through.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I prefer to keep mine rolled up and stored inside my armoire on a shelf.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd want my ties resting on stained wood. However, last time I was at Ikea I found the perfect (for me) tie solution. It's a hanger from their "Komplement" line that has a 4x6 or 4x7 grid of ~4" fabric-covered round hoops on a hanger. I think it costs about $4.

The only annoying part (in Atlanta, at least) is that they keep these things in their pick up area with the rest of the hangers and stuff, so instead of just ringing it up you have to stand in a second line and wait for someone to bring it out to you.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That hangar is obviously made by Woodlore, a subsidiary of Allen-Edmonds and well known on this forum for their shoe trees. I have two of them that I keep all my long ties on. As far as I'm concerned, they're great. I don't believe the wood is stained, just sanded. I have never had the slightest problem with the wood splintering or snagging my ties.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I prefer to keep mine rolled up and stored inside my armoire on a shelf.
yup same here

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use two of these Woodlore cedar hangers, bought on STP. They seem to be out now. If I thought about it more, I probably would have bought the version you posted.

Thumb_WOODtiekeeper.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads