Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cedar shoe trees in Singapore

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by joonian, Jun 19, 2010.

1. csqz22

csqz22 Well-Known Member

Which is why i've given up on retail shopping in Singapore. Even with all the GGS going on. Its still very much overpriced imo!

2. dbc

dbc Senior member

You mean CYC right?

In any case, I used to use them and thought they were ok. Then I went to HK and will be sticking to Ascot Chang for the forseeable future.

Why? Because your fitter is most likely going to be a salesman first and foremost. In my case, this meant that they weren't able to take into account things like a dropped shoulder, etc.

The service is ok, their selection of fabrics is decent and you could definitely do worse here. But for their price, I'd go elsewhere.

3. CrimsonWave

CrimsonWave Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with my shirts from Hwa Seng Textiles, The Black Label and Iris Tailor. Never tried CYC. I think in terms of workmanship and getting the fit right, HST was superlative, although the others were very close. The drawback where HST is concerned (at least to me) is that you don't know which mill/range a particular fabric in their catalogue is from. Also, their buttons are not included in the price of the shirt and are very expensive. The next time I'm in Hong Kong, though, I'll drop by Hemrajani to get my pattern down then make subsequent orders through www.MyTailor.com

I still regret not getting good suit fabric (from Harrisons of Edinburgh, Smith's Woolens and so on) when I was visiting the UK in May. I was not able to do my due diligence before my trip. It was such a shame because the local distributors charge a very high mark up!

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will go with an RLBL on ebay / B&S or a Benjamin Sartoria (the model with the deeper gorge) in a medium grey.

For suit alterations (to hem trousers, let out waist, create surgeon cuffs etc), I guess Iris Tailor will be a fairly competent place to go to. How are their prices and do I have to wait long on weekends (that was my experience with Clancy Tailor's...but I wouldn't trust them with suiting material, and they are real expensive besides - $20 to hem pants = wtf?)

Also, since Raoul is best avoided, what is the best RTW shirt locally under $SGD 100 on sale? Just looking to buy workhorse shirts for the office with reasonable quality. Please don't suggest G2000.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

5. CrimsonWave

I'm still wearing shirts I bought on sale from Crocodile between 2008 and 2009. They have frequent sales. The fabric is really quite decent in view of how much I paid (usual price around $119 but I've always paid less than that, often around $50), and the cut fits me reasonably well. I agree with the other posters that Raoul is way overpriced. I've only ever gotten one Raoul shirt and it was off ebay.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

6. csqz22

csqz22 Well-Known Member

Anyone else interested in ordering shoe trees from cedarvillestore pls PM me asap. Thanks!

7. csqz22

csqz22 Well-Known Member

Anyone else interested in ordering shoe trees from cedarvillestore pls PM me asap. Thanks!

Still able to take in a few pairs.

8. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Hey. Just wondering can shoe trees be used for boots? I have a leather wingtips that needs one. If so I would love to get one.

And just to jump on, where's the best place to get a navy DB blazer for 200-300 SGD in Singapore? In my head right now, I've got Brook Brothers, APC, H&M. But I have no clue what's their price range.

9. csqz22

csqz22 Well-Known Member

Yes. u can check out on cedarville's website.

If you want to get off the rack, better off getting online or buying and selling section here rather than retail stores in Singapore?

10. bythecartons

bythecartons Member

Could you be so kind to share how much HST shirts are currently? I assume you go for their fila range?

11. CrimsonWave

Yes, the Gianfranco Fila range. $195 per shirt BUT does not include price of buttons. Shanking is $5 extra I think. They also have Acorn but I don't know how much they sell shirts not made from their Gianfranco FIla range for.

12. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

PMed

13. AOTR

AOTR New Member

I'm interested in getting the shoe trees as well. When is this happening?

14. mira88

mira88 New Member

Hi,

Those keen on getting shoe trees in Singapore, I have some used ones for sale.
    Its in 43/44, thats like UK 9/10 and I got 5 sets.
    These are the full wood shoe trees which you can see in my avatar.
    It cost more than S$40 brand new but you can have 1 for S$30.
    Overseas buyers have to pay for shipping.

Please PM me or email me at mira88 at hushmail.com if interested since its very slow for me to log on here.
    I would post this on Buy & Sell except I got to wait 45 days before posting a sale advert!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

15. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

Yes, CYC is what I meant. They're ok. Decently priced, and they get the job done if that's all you're looking for.

HST seems more passionate about their shirts, but for the price quoted, I would really expect them to be stellar. The fabrics are, as one of the above posters said, a bit sketchy. Their "Gianfranco Fila" -- there's absolutely nothing on google. It might as well have been made in Indonesia and branded with an Italian name. Happy if someone knows otherwise for sure and shares a link where we can read more. And their collection of MOP buttons is severely limited and boring.

Iris - I absolutely adore Nani, the owner. Funky woman. But her shop is so busy that my suit has taken *six months* (yes) and many trips for corrections and whatnot. A shirt I made was made wrongly based on simple instructions, and while she's charming when she says "Oops, we're so busy we forgot", it doesn't hold up to repeated neglect. My suit ended up being so soft padded (attempting Napoli quality or something) that it didn't fall well on my shoulders at all, and given the number of taxi trips I've made to Lucky Plaza, it's now more expensive than my Isaia's and Tom Fords. The shirt simply doesn't fit well around the waist. Sorry, but I won't go there at all, although she has some fine tailors and a keen sense of style. I'm not her priority anyway, clearly.

I will give Ascot in HK a try on my next trip. Sounds good.

For now, I'm quite happy with the quality of John Francombe line of TM Lewin shirts (I don't like the typical TM Lewin), which fit me well and hold up spectacularly to repeated cold washes at home. Got each for less than US$ 50 a piece during a sale in Reading earlier this year, and they've been my best shirt purchase so far.

Sorry, this was a thread about Cedar shoe trees. My suggestion is to skip Berluti etc and just order online. eBay now has some excellent deals. Cedarville is nice, but the shipping kills it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011