• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cedar Rapids (The Movie)

PITAronin

Reaction score
It just opened in ATL. Will be trying to check it out this weekend.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Saw this yesterday and thought that it was - and no real negative criticism implied - a small and ultimately sweet movie that hid a nice (albeit pretty common) message about character and values and blah blah inside a shell of raucous, raunchy humor. The whole movie is really short and would be even shorter if the (to me) pretty unnecessary subplot stuff involving the hotel hooker had been left on the cutting room floor. Though I wondered if calling her Bree was a film buff reference to the Jane Fonda character in Klute. (Having grown up in Cedar Rapids, I really am not buying the whole 'hooker trolling for business at the entrance of the convention hotel' trope. Likewise, having all of the convention attendees renting cars - though it's necessary to some later plot developments - seems a little goofy and unnecessary.) Ed Helms - though his character initially comes across as WAY too naive to be believed in this day and age - does a nice job, as does John C. Reilly going balls to the wall overboard as the antithesis of everything that (hypocritical) president of the insurance association is trying to promote. And I now have a total crush on Anne Heche. In short (or long, actually) a nice, minor film to check out on a rainy day when everyone else is in line to see the various Oscar-nominated films that they'd missed.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 46 19.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 17 7.3%