• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cedar Closets?

mingus2112

Reaction score
I took the plunge the other day and bought these chipboard cedar panels to line my closet. My closet isn't that big, but it's about time to redo it. The previous owner of the house did a really crappy job with bulk shelving from one of those wire closet systems (done right, they're decent - he did a cruddy job) and I want to have a nice home for my clothes.

My concerns were
1) moving my jackets away from the floor (so the cats don't hide in there!)
2) control humidity in there in the summer (attic access is through the ceiling in my closet - planning on double insulating the ceiling in addition to the cedar panels)
3) protect my clothing from insects

#3 is a big concern of mine - even though I haven't had an insect problem in the past. I've also not had quality clothing in the past. I've been buying MTM suits and shirts and don't want to see that investment killed due to moth damage. I've also been buying preowned stuff on ebay, etc lately. I never put it in my closet until it's been to the cleaners, but moth larve is still a concern of mine.

I'm hoping the cedar panels can help with #2 and #3. My big concern (that didn't hit me until yesterday) is the smell. I like the smell of cedar, but became concerned when my wife came in from the garage (where i put the panels for now) and said "smells like a hamster cage!"

Does anyone have any experience with cedar lined closets? Is the smell a problem on your clothes? Any other words of advice?

-James

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From my point of view the cedar aroma is an asset not a liability. Moreover, the 'smell' that lingers on the clothing is not as intense as the aroma of the closet. But while cedar does repel insects I'm not certain that it's fool proof. I've taken the extra step to ensure that I have tightly closing closet doors by utilizing a 'weather seal' similar to that more typically used at exterior doors. It may seen extreme ... but their installation was less costly than the one Anderson & Sheppard suit lost to moth damage.

Last edited:

mingus2112

Reaction score

From my point of view the cedar aroma is an asset not a liability. Moreover, the 'smell' that lingers on the clothing is not as intense as the aroma of the closet. But while cedar does repel insects I'm not certain that it's fool proof. I've taken the extra step to ensure that I have tightly closing closet doors by utilizing a 'weather seal' similar to that more typically used at exterior doors. It may seen extreme ... but their installation was less costly than the one Anderson & Sheppard suit lost to moth damage.

I agree that it's not foolproof - nothing is. I just want to do whatever I can to discourage the little critters. Like I said, I don't have a problem - just ramping up the effort to avoid one!

As far as the smell, that's my concern. The transfer to the clothes. Opening the closet door in the morning and getting a facefull of cedar will probably be a highlight of my day - walking around with my suit smelling like a hamster cage wouldn't!

In the pictures on the cedarsafe website they show shelves lined with the stuff with folded shirts sitting on top. I'm actually taking extra steps to have my clothes NOT come into contact with the stuff. I'm sure i'm overthinking all this stuff, but I think overthinking is better than not caring at all. Last thing I want is a wardrobe full of moth holes and damaged from humidity! It gets pretty hot in there in the summer!

-James

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%