• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Manton,

I'm with the majority of naysayers on the tie (though the reactions do seem hyperbolic), but the suit and shirt are nice. The collar band on the shirt looks very tall (I like); good collar roll too. Any idea what the collar height (front and back),spread, and point length measure? As a slim, tall-ish person myself, I've gone for the same look with custom shirts to varying degrees of success.

I think it's 2" in back and 3.5 to the points.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
manton, the first time i looked at your most recent fit, i said no on the tie but the more and more i look at it, the more i like the tie with the outfit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Valentino overcoat
Zegna shirt
Forever jeans
Nocona belt
NM socks
Gucci balmorals
AOS cologne
Concord watch

I positively insist that Manton stick to his stated intentions in the first post, and give a critique of outfits posted in this thread according to conservative business dress criteria...
devil.gif
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
The shoes? I crave them.

They're St Crispin

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I positively insist that Manton stick to his stated intentions in the first post, and give a critique of outfits posted in this thread according to conservative business dress criteria...
devil.gif
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif
However, Manton has already abandoned that promise to critique any fit posted in here.

Mike

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
What? What?

I can't believe what I'm reading. My whole world is shaking!

I'm caught in a Japanese earthquake!

LOL, definitely too soon.

Originally Posted by ctp120
Sorry that I don't have a full-length shot. FYI, tie is a blk cashmere knit, and the pants (not visible) were cream and flat front.

DSC_0844-1.jpg

Not exactly conservative business dress, but I like this sportcoat look a lot.

As for me, my usual but with pinstripes this time.

IMAGE_016.jpg

I'm half English so when it comes to pinstripes, collar pins, contrast collars and french cuffs (err, double cuffs) I see no evil.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Valentino overcoat
Zegna shirt
Forever jeans
Nocona belt
NM socks
Gucci balmorals
AOS cologne
Concord watch

Originally Posted by Holdfast
devil.gif
laugh.gif

2011-03-26+DSC_0435_edited-1.jpg

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

IMAGE_016.jpg

I'm half English so when it comes to pinstripes, collar pins, contrast collars and french cuffs (err, double cuffs) I see no evil.

Skinny, this is awesome, all you need is a waistcoat and a hat and you'll be truly conservative in a 1930's British way...(this does not mean your costumey, simply that you look pretty bloody ace!)

-TTO

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
LOL, definitely too soon.

Not exactly conservative business dress, but I like this sportcoat look a lot.

As for me, my usual but with pinstripes this time.

IMAGE_016.jpg

I like this very much, SG.

Note to self, pin a CC this week.

Mike

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^^SG, have you at least experimented with a ps to see if you'd like the look?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I realize you are really getting into PJ MTO, but I think some of your 'older' bespoke coats and suits look much better on you.
Just sayin'.

- noted, but this is early days & like any new relationships - takes times. So what is different with PJ? PJ is MTM not bespoke. The finish & quality is very good, the service is excellent & the return on investment is quantifiable unlike PL or Chan IMO.
- in summary we are all here to learn & explore with what means we have access to

Originally Posted by gdl203
It's a silly look and trend here. That too shall pass
- what is the average length for a trend? 1 season, 2 or ? Maybe here on SF as there are many that simply emulate & not personify, so I see your point. But in defence, I have been wearing my BDs like this for > 2years now.

Originally Posted by gazman70k
PG, PJ just ain't working for you. Will this be a backlash?
- I agree with you on the 1st cut that you witnessed IRL. To PJ's credit, they produced a new cut which is noticeably better.

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
I don't mind the new fit, but I'd love to see old/new side by side. Also: nice pochette.
- good idea, will do when a w/end has there is consistent light.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Will you hate me if I say I prefer the before fit?
blush.gif

- not at all, each to their own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads