• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

wmb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Finally a day without important meetings! I'm so not conservative business dress today - and I can't even count the number of ways I'm breaking rules and SF consensus (forgive me father Manton) - but I got used to stopping by here so I will place this NCBD day in spoiler tags à la Holdfast.

IMG01512-20110324-0921.jpg

IMG01510-20110324-0920.jpg

IMG01519-20110324-0923.jpg

IMG01515-20110324-0922.jpg

is this Chan gdl?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You don't like it, the faux-sprezz ?
- is this the same as double jeopardy?
Originally Posted by Bounder
What, no tie pin today, PG?
laugh.gif
And be careful. This is how it starts. Next thing you know, It'll be Steve Madden shoes and Steve Harvey suits.

- um, history shows that I don't always wear "x" & .. Gah..
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Have you increased the waist suppression on this? Seems a little too waspy, which is not something I've noticed before in your jackets.
- New maker. Though this is tighter than I like & the new version which I am wearing today is more my likening - Also Phat is getting FAT

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
5555562263_9c8f1d3cd1_z.jpg

Great tie, and beautiful fabric on the suit.

Originally Posted by ctp120
DSC_0859.jpg

Blazer and odd pants may not be conservative business dress for most, but this is pretty typical of what I wear to work.

Nice. I think the purple gingham is a nice touch. Your coat looks a little short to me though. It'd be interesting to see a full shot.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jb are those gabardine pants?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
BTW, the shirt is great. If custom, what book/fabric?
It's a RTW shirt by Mastai Ferretti that I bought in Siena 8 or 9 years ago. I have tons of "better" shirts but this is one of my very favorite one. I also used the spread BD collar pattern to have Carl make new BD shirts for me - that didn't go to well with the shirt pr0n thread crowd
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wmb
is this Chan gdl?
It's RTW by Borrelli. To be quite frank, I'm VERY surprised by all the praises for this coat here. It's pretty basic - and you guys can't even see the suede elbow patches !

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
DSC_0859.jpg

Blazer and odd pants may not be conservative business dress for most, but this is pretty typical of what I wear to work.

I don't mind the shirt, but the jacket does look a little short.
Originally Posted by ndw
Thought I'd cross post today since two people commented on how conservatively I was dressed today.

6KaW1.jpg

GADcJ.jpg
Needs a PS - particularly with quite limited shirt space.
Originally Posted by Manton
Two close-ups today, one with flash, one without.

QqMhS.jpg

ePiGM.jpg

BTjvf.jpg

y0WRa.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Great silhouette, and I like that tie and thise boots.
Originally Posted by jamesbond
This is my version of this...

black2.jpg
Non conservative business dress, but that's a pretty good blazer combination.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I had before getting tempted during my fitting
110325006.jpg

Picked up new SC (2nd version of my 1B SB P Johnson in navy Loro Piana "The Wave" cloth & tie (black/navy 2 tone silk knit from Drakes
110325014.jpg

110325010.jpg

110325013.jpg

110325018.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How pale a suit can you go for before it's non-conservative business dress? Does CDB have to be dark suits?

Anyway, no meetings, the forecast was for the early morning mist to burn off to reveal a bright spring day (it did eventually...):

20110325_main.jpg

20110325_detail.jpg

20110325_shoes.jpg

Tie is an old Burberry 80/20 Cashmere/Silk blend (has a tad more 'soft' texture than picture suggests).

Shoe colour is 'Anthracite' - mid/dark grey with a hint of brown (probably look slightly greyer in real life). Can grey shoes ever be conservative business dress?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads