1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

This is not the "You must wear a white shirt, solid gray or navy suit, plain tie and black stitch caps" thread. It's about dressing with a little flair without going overboard.

Outside of a handful of the most conservative firms in London and maybe one or two other cities in Europe, brown shoes have been perfectly fine with a gray suit for probably the last 70 years.

Get it?

All this stuff looks great.

One question - why don't we try a true CBD thread, or at least a few true CBD posts here - no colored pocket squares, no suede shoes, no brown shoes, no crazy socks.

I think there's real beauty in true conservative dress and its simplicity. Look at PG a few posts above this one. He looks absolutely fantastic, just with the basics, and he's not "bending" the rules. He's adhering to them.

This would obviously be boring to see go on for 100 pages but it's also frankly a bit boring to see all these posts where we're supposed to applaud a great outfit as being even greater just because -- oooh -- he's "bending" the rules by introducing that dash of unexpected color, or that non-CBD texture.

[​IMG]

i agree with you johnny. go and start that thread.

2. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

^^ I know those of you who live where it's cold are sick of wearing flannel, but I'm envious.

Are you having a laugh? Sick of wearing flannel? Never.

Flaps on his jacket's hip pockets would look less interrupted, to me.

- M

Sorry, this doesn't makes sense to me.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I like the shoes. Mind sharing the maker and model? Thanks.

Thanks! They're the Polo stanton model, made in italy.

-LR

Don't shorten the jacket. If you do you'll only look trendy.
    Moreover, after shortening, the pockets usually look low
    and the vent(s) will appear to be on the short side.

This thread has proved to be the voice of reason, and I appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome Manton, really spectacular.

4. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit. I know some don't like the points up PS, but I like it with linen squares with colored borders. [​IMG]
    The more I see photos and swatches of the 0520 the more I like it. Well done! If I ever get another BlazerSuit it may be this one. z - would you say this photograph is a good representation of the in-real-life color? I've found it hard to pinpoint the exact shade. Also, is that shirt made by Peter Lee? While I know it's a popular style fabric, it really looks like a few I have by him.

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I left my huge head in today for the "boxy" crew.
    Huge head makes a huge diff [​IMG] Also: nice rig.

I like the tie, but yeah, the square would be better as a green paisley madder.

What fabric is the suit? [​IMG]

I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit.
    Really nice. How do you like the fabric? Any reservations?

6. UrbanComposition

[​IMG]

What color are those shoes?

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Are you saying Manton should improve his photographic skills?

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

You probably tucked the flaps in.
    - M

- correct as my Herringbone suits are OTR & GAWD FORBID shorten in the body by 1"

9. UrbanComposition

Are you saying Manton should improve his photographic skills?
    Heh...just haven't seen black suede too often. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

- correct as my Herringbone suits are OTR & GAWD FORBID shorten in the body by 1"

I do that all the time [​IMG]

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

A navy Panama was sighted [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] * A Q for Sir Mantoni - where does the rules sit with wearing black shoes w a knit tie that is not black or navy or grey. As I may have sinned today.. Certainly can't be worse than me not buttoning up my BDs or commissioning a 1B SB BlazerSuit..

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Heh...just haven't seen black suede too often. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[​IMG] I'm guessing brown.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

[​IMG]
    Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I really don't mean any harm. This has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I don't recall a reply. Is the granny knot faux-sprezz, a Manton signature item, or do you really not know how to tie a square knot? For a guy that's fairly meticulous when it comes to the appropriate way to do wear a tie, pocket square, and on and on, I'm surprised that you tie your shoes the way that you do. I'm not making a cosmetic point either, granny knots are far less secure than square knots. Any chance that you're left-handed and never thought about how you tie your shoes? For what it's worth and to make this topical, fellow Cal grad here and think it's a shame that it's so hard to find a good Cal repp tie. Not sure why anyone would want a tie that says Cal 50 times on it or a repp tie with the word Cal written on it. Seems to me that it sort of defeats the purpose of a tie to represent your school if you look like a clown while wearing it, although I guess that shows how far the necktie has fallen in stature in California. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

@ zbromer - whole thing looks great, including the shoes (IMO.)

+1, looks fantastic. In fact, so good I ordered a suit's length of 0520 just now which will be sent to Mina as soon as it arrives!

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's up with your photo skills today? Nice shoes, but the rest is a blur...
    Not sperm:

[​IMG][/SPOILER]

I quite like that tie [​IMG]
    I've been asked for a picture of how the Minnis 520 Fresco looks when made up as a blazersuit. I know some don't like the points up PS, but I like it with linen squares with colored borders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/SPOILER]

This looks great. Congratulations on the weightloss too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All this stuff looks great.

One question - why don't we try a true CBD thread, or at least a few true CBD posts here - no colored pocket squares, no suede shoes, no brown shoes, no crazy socks.

I don't think anyone would complain if you wanted to post an ultra-CBD fit...
    My guess is Mink rather than black.

A navy Panama was sighted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

* A Q for Sir Mantoni - where does the rules sit with wearing black shoes w a knit tie that is not black or navy or grey. As I may have sinned today.. Certainly can't be worse than me not buttoning up my BDs or commissioning a 1B SB BlazerSuit..
    Looks good.

I'll eagerly await Manton's comments, but surely black shoes can be worn with anything, it's a proud English tradition [​IMG] - I agree that not buttoning up your BD's is a sin, but a 1B SB suit is fine [​IMG]

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

What's up with your photo skills today? Nice shoes, but the rest is a blur...

LOL, busy day, iphone in the early morning light...will throw some better ones up.

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I really don't mean any harm. This has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I don't recall a reply. Is the granny knot faux-sprezz, a Manton signature item, or do you really not know how to tie a square knot? For a guy that's fairly meticulous when it comes to the appropriate way to do wear a tie, pocket square, and on and on, I'm surprised that you tie your shoes the way that you do. I'm not making a cosmetic point either, granny knots are far less secure than square knots.

Please tell me this is a joke.

17. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Please tell me this is a joke.

My knots used to 'unknot' quite often, before I used the knot as it was intended. I write 'intended', because the two phases of making a good knot strengthen the knot automatically, with a granny knot they don't.

If you don't have problems with 'unknotting', I can see you don't want to change anything. But it's a wrong knot, against the Very Important Rules of Knot Construction (VIRKC).

Srivats around? He's chairman of the VIRKC.

18. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I don't care about the knots - I just want to know whether those shoes are Mink Suede [​IMG]

19. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I don't care about the knots - I just want to know whether those shoes are Mink Suede [​IMG]

[​IMG] But it's Very Important, MoK!

(I just checked: yours are okay.)

20. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Today's not particularly exciting effort:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the dodgy post-processing - I'd made a mess of focus and exposure and rescued it as well as I could:

[​IMG]