1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

[​IMG]

ctp - looks great but would look so much better with a belt

On my monitor, there just isn't enough contrast between the pants and shirt. IRL, I suspect the lavender vs. grey is much more pronounced. That said, I think a belt would create a sufficient visual break (I did see your comment that these pants are loopless).

And a white shirt.

White would definitely be more crisp with the light pants, especially sans belt.

Regardless, I'm picking nits on an overall solid look.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton - other than your A&S Shetland tweed, do you have any other 'FU' type sportcoats?

And would you ever wear the Shetland to work?

I have a lovat green with a blue windowpane.

Answer to second is "No way."

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

gdl - you look fantastic. Are those St. Crispins?

gdl,

Looks nice. Especially like the tie and suit fabrics.

Thanks guys [​IMG] Shoes are St Crispins indeed. Tie is wool and suit is blue minnis flannel

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Cross-post from WAYWRN, since I'm wearing a tie...

Mediterranean CBD, on a Friday?

[​IMG]

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's RTW by Borrelli. To be quite frank, I'm VERY surprised by all the praises for this coat here. It's pretty basic - and you guys can't even see the suede elbow patches !

Fwiw, I'm not so hot on that coat. [​IMG]

Back to CBD today. I apologize about the crappy quality of the pictures. It seems like the blackberry camera has trouble getting in focus on fuzzy flannel...
    [​IMG]

This however is great! Your collar/lapel/knot triumvirate is always in excellent proportion.

6. gdl203

NOBD - looks very nice. Shirt stripe is very thin so it looks like all solids in the first pic, which I would have said is not optimal - a butcher stripe would have been nice.

I'm not a fan of the perfect belt & shoes match but both are awesome in their own right. [​IMG]

7. Manton

[​IMG]

I think this would be improved with:

1) a less formal shirt collar

2) bluchers, monks or loafers

3) different pants. Those look chino-ish

Colors are nice.

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

NOBD - looks very nice. Shirt stripe is very thin so it looks like all solids in the first pic, which I would have said is not optimal - a butcher stripe would have been nice.

I'm not a fan of the perfect belt & shoes match but both are awesome in their own right. [​IMG]

Thanks, gdl. I understand what you say about the thin stripe: can look a bit drab from a distance, but it's quite vibrant (especially for a linen shirt) IRL.

The match is not perfect, btw. I wanted a medium brown that went well with medium brown suedes (Polo brown, like these, but also snuff). I'll dig up a pic to show what I mean.

Edit:

[​IMG]

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I think this would be improved with:

1) a less formal shirt collar

2) bluchers, monks or loafers

3) different pants. Those look chino-ish

Colors are nice.

Thanks for the feedback. The pants are chino's (jacket is cotton as well).

10. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Knowing his reticence about grey odd jackets, I'm especially interested to hear Manton's take on this, if he'll be so kind. Also, strict CBD rules aside, do you feel this works generally? (It would definitely go over fine at my workplace). Please ignore sleeve wrinkles; left is twisted and both arms are bent. Never realized posing for fit pics could be so awkward [​IMG] . [​IMG]
    you might not like this, but it's a very "thom browne"

11. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

you might not like this, but it's a very "thom browne"
    [​IMG] You aren't the first to question the length, but I didn't think it was that bad. [​IMG]

12. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

i wasn't just talking about the length. the whole thing on second look is thom browne styled. the grey jacket with the darker grey pants were his stock in trade look around like 2008 or 2007. i actually like it a lot.

13. Manton

Knowing his reticence about grey odd jackets, I'm especially interested to hear Manton's take on this, if he'll be so kind. Also, strict CBD rules aside, do you feel this works generally? (It would definitely go over fine at my workplace).
    As solid gray odd jackets go that's far from the worst. But it illustrates the paradox. Gray odd jackets look better when they are light. Yet a top-light, bottom-dark pairing is hard to do well. The reverse looks so much better 99% of the time.

Overall it looks you have mostly "suit" colors, textures and patterns but in an odd jacket ensemble and it just looks incongruous. The only "suity" odd jacket combo that looks good, IMO, is a blazer and grays. With that you can wear a spread collar shirt and soporific business tie. With a coat like that, it doesn't work. The trousers are also too polished for that. Khaki, cream or stone would probably be better. Or else something funky like an F-U plaid or red or lime green or something.

14. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

westside,

Well, as I'm sure you can imagine, he isn't one of my style icons (although I do own an untipped grey herringbone wool tie from his BBBF collection [​IMG] ). I see your point about the dk. grey/ lt. grey combo, though.

The coatmaker in this case would likely be insulted by the comparison, but I'm starting to question the length more and more myself. Probably doesn't help that I have long-ish arms in proportion to my torso length.

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Serge fabric is pretty indestructible. Was thinking of getting a grey suit in the fabric.
    pochette
    I don't mind the new fit, but I'd love to see old/new side by side. Also: nice pochette.
    How pale a suit can you go for before it's non-CBD? Does CDB have to be dark suits? Shoe colour is 'Anthracite' - mid/dark grey with a hint of brown (probably look slightly greyer in real life). Can grey shoes ever be CBD?
    A light grey suit would certainly fly here in California without a hitch. I like the shoes & don't think anyone would notice.
    Great combo.
    The coatmaker in this case would likely be insulted by the comparison, but I'm starting to question the length more and more myself. Probably doesn't help that I have long-ish arms in proportion to my torso length.
    It may work if the coat length reaches halfway down your body. I know a guy with gorilla arms that does the "must cup hands under jacket" rule & it looks like he's wearing a robe. If the coat cuts you in half, I'll wager you're fine.

16. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Manton, Thanks for the feedback. I'm very appreciative. To be perfectly honest, soliciting your opinion is a major reason why I decided to come out of the lurking shadow and post a few pics in this thread, which is great, by the way. I understand your points about the paradox. To risk offending your sensibilities even more, I'll admit that I primarily wear the coat casually with denim and OCBDs or sweaters, because the paradox you mention makes it very difficult to do otherwise. I wondered if the combo I posted might strike near that rare exception you hint at. I have the same color trousers in flannel rather than worsted, and I agree that they would have been a much better choice. As for the jacket, I think it's actually anything but "suity," IRL. It's a very substantial 100% cashmere cloth in a fuzzy and textured finish (not sure of the technical name of the weave), which unmistakably reads sportcoat to me (save the color, as we've already discussed). Patch pockets is a configuration I only have in SC's too, but perhaps this is a personal cue that doesn't translate to anyone but me. I've posted a detail pic of the cloth below for reference. Re: the navy blazer and grey trouser pairing as the only "suity" separates combo that might work, I wonder how my other pic from earlier in the thread measures up? [​IMG]

17. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

gdl what color is the square on your most recent fit? white linen?

the outfit looks great.

18. gdl203

gdl what color is the square on your most recent fit? white linen?

the outfit looks great.

Thanks. It's cream / light beige. Has brown rolled edges but you'll never see the edges of my squares.

19. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

[​IMG]

Holy crap. I'm pretty much wearing this same outfit today. You're not Greek, are you? (that's why I'm wearing that outfit today; Greek Independence Day HOLLA!)

20. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

Back to CBD today. I apologize about the crappy quality of the pictures. It seems like the blackberry camera has trouble getting in focus on fuzzy flannel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow this is all very good! Is the flannel Minnis 0304?