1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

What does the thread think? [​IMG]
    Very, very nice! But CBD? Lots of unconservative things here if by that we mean "things one hardly ever sees in the office." Genadine ties are hardly ever seen. Pocket squares are hardly ever seen. Spread collars are perhaps not quite as endangered but still not common. The rig's not inappropriate or foppish - don't get me wrong - but it's probably not conservative. Nonetheless ... smashing.

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Let's make it seven continent CBD.
    This is brilliant and will make the thread anything but boring and repetitive. I hope that members from various places will offer their perspectives on CBD. I think it will be fascinating. For example, CBD in London would never involve brown pebble-grain chukkas. It can, however, involve shirt-patterns that will make your eyes water. In Italy, brown shoes are fine while in Australia, I believe flip-flops are mandatory. I am really looking forward to this. I hope you will actively solicit commentary from our international members.

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Moo - While a fun outfit, I think a few subtle things take away from it being an uber CBD outift.

1) The texture of the tie as something a bit more flat would have worked better.

2) The lavender overcheck in the suit as it's tough for me to associate any shade of pink or purple with CBD.

3) The fold of the square has a bit too much flair and the colors stand out a bit.

What do you think?

4. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Moo - While a fun outfit, I think a few subtle things take away from it being an uber CBD outift.

1) The texture of the tie as something a bit more flat would have worked better.

2) The lavender overcheck in the suit as it's tough for me to associate any shade of pink or purple with CBD.

3) The fold of the square has a bit too much flair and the colors stand out a bit.

I first wrote something about the check as well, but closer examination suggests that it's light blue, not lavender, and a PoW with blue overcheck isn't all that rarely seen. Uncommon, but not really out-there. So I think he's likely fine on that score.

Agree on (1) and (3) though ... as much as I like them.

5. onix

onix Senior member

I really want to hear what Manton has to say about the current submissions. I still only half understand his concept and perspective on CBD.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Sigh.

I hate to explain jokes but ... the original CBD threads were ... jokes! Everyone has forgottent the troll Kasper/Joseph K. Bank. But he was prolific at the time and the threads were inspired by his schtick.

This thread is not a joke, or at least not intented to be. I really did wear this to work. I work in a conservative place. Suit & tie every day. No casual Friday. My boss even wears his jacket in the office. I never see odd jackets on people on my floor. (People visiting are another story.)

So, yes, this about "CBD" but it's also about what you can do to CBD without straying from the straight and narrow.

Or, at least, it's about what I do.

Interesting thread - I like the concept, and a challenging first post. I confess I would never have considered brown pebble-grain with an office suit, only with a country suit. Brown oxfords, or black derbies I would have considered fair moves from the past conventions, but these surprised me.

I really want to hear what Manton has to say about the current submissions. I still only half understand his concept and perspective on CBD.

+1

Checked suits, brown suits? I'm interested in where this thread goes.

7. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't be bothered taking a new photo yet, so here is an old photo once posted here. perhaps some old timers will recognize.

[​IMG]

LP wool/linen
    Bespoke shirt
    Forgotten brand tie

the non-CBD element is a pair of shell loafers worn without socks.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Shoes & socks:

[​IMG]

oops, i don't remember that i sent you a pair of shoes... [​IMG]

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll play...something I wore recently...the marks on the mirror are from that distressed "bistro style" type glass...critique away...already know Foo's feelings on the white linen square. :^)

[​IMG]

This is very good.

I have gotten DB shy lately. The two that I will wear are a gray flannel in about that shade and a navy. I actually have two of the latter, in different shades. I am the only person I have yet seen in my my entire office ever to wear DB. Yet I feel that those two are subdued enough that it's OK.

Too many solids.
    No, it looks good. Three solids is an enduring classic that is never wrong.

Silk is rebellious? I almost exclusively wear silk squares.

You've probably discussed this elsewhere, but why no linen? I probably wear linen squares 8 out of 10 days.
    I wear silk with a woolen tie always, and in fall winter, most of the time. Linen is more for spring summer for me. Foo's dislike of white linent makes no sense to me.

It looks like Slew tried to fold his in a puff, which I would not recommend.

10. Manton

This is the fit I caught flack for in terms of the cashmere tie not being CBD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's a great tie. Fit of the coat looks a bit off.

I think the narrow guage of the stripes on the shirt and suit are too close. If you are going to shoot for three patterns, either one has to be almost imperceptible or else the scale of the two should be radically different.

For me, a two stripe ensemble almost demands a solid tie. This comes off as too many lines. When mixing three patterns, I would make the tie a dot or a neat of some kind.

Finally, if you are going to go more or less monochromatic with the main elements (nothing wrong with that), it's best to throw some color into the sqaure. Also, always silk with a woolen tie.

11. Manton

CBD when it got really [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please do notice how the tie's background picks up the the color of the [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a vest a lot like that. I have not worn it to the office in a long time. Not sure why. I used to. Maybe it's because this year I got a heavy OC and that took care of the cold.

We'll see if I crack that out next year. For weekends with an odd jacket, a sweater vest in winter is something I wear a lot.

12. Manton

What does the thread think?

[​IMG]

Surprisingly good. I would fold the square to show more brown and less white, and also cram it down a bit more.

13. Manton

I can't be bothered taking a new photo yet, so here is an old photo once posted here. perhaps some old timers will recognize.

[​IMG]

LP wool/linen
    Bespoke shirt
    Forgotten brand tie

the non-CBD element is a pair of shell loafers worn without socks.

This is great, but socks are required. Also, I have never gotten over, and probably never will, my phobia of loafers with suits.

14. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I think I remember this - did one of the accompanying shots feature a glass of champagne?

It looks good. I like the blue on blue on blue.

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, it looks good. Three solids is an enduring classic that is never wrong.
    "Never" is a strong word. Even if it's possible for an all-solid outfit to look good, you still have to carefully coordinate the pieces so that they form a cohesive aesthetic whole. The particular outfit in question does not achieve that. Each solid is completely unrelated to the others.
    Foo's dislike of white linent makes no sense to me.
    I'm next level. Actually, it's not white linen I dislike. I dislike non-white linen. I just think white linen is far less optimal than commonly accepted.

17. Manton

"Never" is a strong word. Even if is possible for an all-solid outfit to look good, you still have to carefully coordinate the pieces so that they form a cohesive aesthetic whole. The particular outfit in question does not achieve that. Each solid is completely unrelated to the others.
    ?

Gray suit + blue shirt is "unrelated" yet nice. Similarly, a maroon tie goes with both. I don't think that's really disputable.

18. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

...per maomao1980's pic for example, and replacing the shirt with something like this http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=
    or should I stay with solid? Thanks..

for CBD, the suit has enough surface interest (wool/linen blend, faint herringbone), a solid shirt would be more ideal.

19. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

The idea is to show what CBD is, how it can be bent, and -- crucially -- what the old-timers, or at least me, mean by "classic style."

II thought the point of the thread was to show CBD and ways one can deviate from the C part to a certain extent. I mean, the OP is quite indicative of this idea. Cashmere tie, pebblegrain bluchers.

I hope people remember this. I'm interested in what the long-termers gut feelings tell them they can and can't get away with. That has got to take a lot of repetitions, so I hope this thread has legs.

My favorite (besides MaoMao's, but that is almost cheating) is Slewfoot's, just because it seems so soporific but it is double breasted. Manton's reaction is great: "db-shy lately", which I read as: good but right at one edge.

20. Dewey

Dewey Senior member