• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not conservative business dress in any way.

But when I wear my multi-colored knit tie, I always get compliments.

The second statement only further supports the first statement. Ethegent, we apologize for your not having the opportunity to participate in this latest version of this conversation.

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was not unintentional.

I know. My reply was the inevitable follow up to your reply to Butchy's reply so that we could all go ahead, get through this latest occurence quickly and return to the part of our lives where we talk about clothes on the internet without having to pull out the noob lifecycle pic again.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was not unintentional.

I know. My reply was the inevitable follow up to your reply to Butchy's reply so that we could all go ahead, get through this latest occurence quickly and return to the part of our lives where we talk about clothes on the internet without having to pull out the noob lifecycle pic again.

The recent membership and low post count made me wonder we were seeing some sock trolling. This is an odd choice for making one's first WAYWRN post.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plenty of explanations for that. One being a misunderstanding of the different WAYWRN threads - There are what, five now? - or simply posting in the wrong thread. More data is necessary.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the iPhone quality.

facepalm.gif
baldy[1].gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Plenty of explanations for that. One being a misunderstanding of the different WAYWRN threads - There are what, five now? - or simply posting in the wrong thread. More data is necessary.
I just looked at all four of his posts, and they don't seem very troll-y or sock-ish. So, in the spirit of welcoming him to StyFo: E the Gent: In addition to not being conservative business dress (conservative business dress), this look is kinda all over the place. All of the pieces look okay, but you just shouldn't wear that tie with that shirt. Period. The sunglasses in the pocket, if just a practical choice, are fine. If not, please stop doing that. Finally, the jacket appears to be too tight in the chest.
Apologies for the iPhone quality.

Dewi

Reaction score

:(

But I like the noob lifecycle pic.

ethegent

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am just now learning. I'll continue to do more searches.
smile.gif

recondite

Reaction score
Two tie options today: Hober Grenadine or Drakes Boucle.

Opinions / suggestions?

(I know it's the same Simonnot-Godard square I've been wearing; testing it out with different ensembles this week before it joins the regular rotation)

In my mind, there is a thin white line between what is conservative and what is not. Repp ties are sporty by nature and in practice, with the lone exception being a single pinstripe repp.

What say you?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In U.S., non-garish repp ties are more conservative than sporty.

jbuffone

Reaction score

In my mind, there is a thin white line between what is conservative and what is not. Repp ties are sporty by nature and in practice, with the lone exception being a single pinstripe repp.

What say you?

Hober.

I have the same tie from Drakes. It's so thick that I wind up with a giant knot every time i want to wear it. It's like tying my duvet into a four in hand. Sure it can be done, but it never works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads