CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

another thing where I am in the minority in this thread, I dislike tatersall shirts, both the "dressy" kind and the "tweedy' kind. the graph paper check I could wear but my preference is stripes over checks and I also don't like multistripes.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    I would not do it with brown.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Mike,
    I really like this look.

Thanks, Redwood.

Whilst it has a sheen I think it avoids the 'shiny' suit look, and I suspect under office lighting the sheen is reduced anyway. I like the combining btw.

Thanks, MOK. It is actually more shiney than it appears in this pic. It is a wool/mohair/silk blend. It does not look like plastic or anything, but it is for sure a suit with sheen.

I would like to hear Manton's take on it.

This is a great example of national/regional differences. BD + suit has always been acceptable for business in the US and in some regions is THE dress shirt. Elsewhere, this is not so. But here it is.

In New Orleans, I see more BD with ties than any other collar.

Mike

4. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

This is a personal thing but I may as well mention it. I am seeing a lot of striped and checked shirts in which the white ground totally dominates the stripe. I think these are hard to coordinate and generally don't look that good.
    I agree completely. I have been seeing quite a few of those in the main WAYWRN thread and I always have to check to see if the photo isn't somehow "washed out." Like you I'm a very big fan of the traditional butcher stripe and the small blue graphs. I need some of both patterns in spread collars, since the only ones in my current rotation are BD.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This got mixed reviews on WAYWRN a while ago, IIRC. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Yeah, agree with Manton. No brown.

Don't really like contrast collars in general, especially when the contrast is pronounced. The only ones I like have fine stripes on the body, so there's some white there too. Even those I'll wear only under a vest or V-neck, and that's not very CBD.

The contrast collar is a look that goes wrong more often than not, IMO.

6. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

In New Orleans, I see more BD with ties than any other collar. Mike

Same in the Nation's largest theme park, too.

7. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

another thing where I am in the minority in this thread, I dislike tatersall shirts, both the "dressy" kind and the "tweedy' kind. the graph paper check I could wear but my preference is stripes over checks and I also don't like multistripes.

I like tatersalls but I tend to wear them w/o a tie. Its easy to get them wrong with a tie. I do like graph checks and ginghams and wear both frequently.

Not a fan of multi-stripes either.

8. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Don't really like contrast collars in general, especially when the contrast is pronounced... The contrast collar is a look that goes wrong more often than not, IMO.
    This example isn't bad. (Light blue end-on-end weave / white): [​IMG] But, like you guys, I'm pretty much over this look.

9. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Something wierd about this. The pattern goes "missing" in certain places and there appear to be jacquard dots in the middle of the squares.

Yeah there is a white "overcheck" with a sort of raised woven texture to it but no jacquard dots in the squares. It was called gingham on the tags for some reason. But I thought it more of a micro-check with a white "windowpane" over-check.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I confess I don't see the problem with this shade of yellow on a white shirt.

Thanks MOK, it's been one of my spring/summer staples so I have a hard time pairing it with blue, unless a blue bengal.

I love contrast collar shirts, I prefer the more casual collars like button downs or clubs, but I dont mind a contrast spread collar. I'm not a fan of contrast cuffs.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

This example isn't bad. (Light blue end-on-end weave / white):

But, like you guys, I'm pretty much over this look.

I like that shirt, but not with that tie.

12. ndw

ndw Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Everybody shantung tonight.

14. wmb

wmb Senior member

Lighter than navy 3 patch worsted flannel suit, blue OCBD, "mustard" paisley wool challis tie, brown & white silk square, tan belt, orange and mid-blue glen plaid wool socks, mid-tan double-soled pebble grain bluchers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I personally don't like what is going on here. I like the suit but not the shirt+tie+square+socks+ shoe combination for CBD.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think there's probably one too many casual element here. Brown pebblegrain bluchers + 3 patch + BD shirt. I think it would be better with one of them slightly more formal (maybe balmorals instead of these)