CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Surprising no one, I wear BDs both with and without ties. When I am without tie, I wear BDs almost exclusively.

You can enjoy the best of both worlds by going BD with the points unbuttoned...

(OK, that's not really CBD.)

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the subject of national/regional differences, am I right in thinking that whilst in the UK a contrast collar shirt would pass without comment in the US it would be considered flashy?

Yes, especially on young dudes.

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

[​IMG]

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

On the subject of national/regional differences, am I right in thinking that whilst in the UK a contrast collar shirt would pass without comment in the US it would be considered flashy?

Yeah, mostly. They had a vogue in the '80s but I think their day here has passed. I do still see them but, honestly, the shirts usually look cheap and the people wearing them look, um, outer borough, for lack of a better term.

/snob.

5. Manton

(OK, that's not really CBD.)

NCBD.

6. Moss

Moss Senior member

Checks and stripes look best, IMO, when the area allocated to the pattern is equal to or greater than the ground. Butcher stripes are a good example of equal to. Gingham would be greater than.
    My favorites are the light color ground (e.g., light blue) with thin white or cream stripes that are closely spaced.

7. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

This is a personal thing but I may as well mention it.

I am seeing a lot of striped and checked shirts in which the white ground totally dominates the stripe. I think these are hard to coordinate and generally don't look that good.I have a couple and I notice that I never reach for them and haven't ordered more in forever.

Checks and stripes look best, IMO, when the area allocated to the pattern is equal to or greater than the ground. Butcher stripes are a good example of equal to. Gingham would be greater than.

So that's why I don't really care for this. Also not a fan of the tie.

I think it has more to do with the thickness of the colored stripe/check and the richness of the color. I think the picture you quoted has a 50/50 mix of white and color, but the stripes are thin and the blue is pale so the pattern looks weak overall.

Compare to oldog's shirt which is probably 80% white 20% color, but the blue is deep and the stripe is thick enough that the white doesn't dominate the shirt.

I don't like fine or weak patterns on shirts unless the color is very rich. They look very Jos A Bank/Brooks Brothers to me.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree on stripes but disagree on checks. There's very handsome checks where white dominates (tattersall type of patterns) and I find them easier rather than harder to coordinate with a tie than the ones where color > white.

9. Manton

I agree on stripes but disagree on checks. There's very handsome checks where white dominates (tattersall type of patterns) and I find them easier rather than harder to coordinate with a tie than the ones where color > white.

Blue + black or red + black tattersalls are probably the only ones I like. I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

Love those.

11. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Much better.

Cheers MoK!

Blue + black or red + black tattersalls are probably the only ones I like. I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

Love those.

Would this constitute one of those? This is one of my fav shirts and almost wore it today with the same tie but opted for a plain white shirt because I wore blue shirts the last two days.

[​IMG]

12. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

I also like small blue graph paper checks. Those probably have more white than blue.

Indubitably.

[​IMG]

13. Manton

Would this constitute one of those? This is one of my fav shirts and almost wore it today with the same tie but opted for a plain white shirt because I wore blue shirts the last two days.

[​IMG]

Something wierd about this. The pattern goes "missing" in certain places and there appear to be jacquard dots in the middle of the squares.

14. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

How about today's effort?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Yes, especially on young dudes.

Yeah, mostly. They had a vogue in the '80s but I think their day here has passed. I do still see them but, honestly, the shirts usually look cheap and the people wearing them look, um, outer borough, for lack of a better term.

/snob.

This got mixed reviews on WAYWRN a while ago, IIRC. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]