• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ndw

Reaction score
6aSrN.jpg
Vn75S.jpg

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't think an odd SC is ever truly conservative business dress. It is Business Casual, or good for a weekend conservative business dress, I think.

First, plus one on the fit being excellent. It is a great understated combo that still has personality.

I disagree slightly, though, that an odd SC is only business casual or good for weekends. While it's not necessarily conservative business dress, at least in this region it's accepted in just about every conservative business context but an important meeting or court appearance (and sometimes even then). But we differ only by degree.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looking good Moo. I would throw a square in.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised how much I like that lighter tie witha white shirt.
- I usually only do this for more formal situations like going to cocktails after work etc. other wise I would have wear a patterned version like the mini-houndstooth on Mon.
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Suit: Chan in Lesser 13oz Herringbone Tie: Drakes Wool Challis Shirt: Geneva (still working on the collar) Shoes: Vass
- Drakes ties are one of the easiest to get a dimple & your knots tend to look too loose. There are some good vies on you-tube, maybe have a gander - shame as the knot is what is letting your fits down
Originally Posted by Parker
I like that, too. I think it's a nice Spring look. Sometimes it can look too formal, but I like this.
- Agreed as mentioned - was going to a cocktail function after work
satisfied.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smirk and hair product make look like more of an ass than I am. Constructive criticism appreciated (I can already see that the left sleeve is too short and the right sleeve too long).
100_2496.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Luftvier, I think the first jacket has short front balance. I know gunboats are your thing, but they look funny with business suits. Especially with no break. (Not pictured in 2nd pic) Captoes look much better in the first pic
5734494898_d2589a9c28_b.jpg
5737343390_89cfb98d35_z.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Ron Swanson avatar is awesome!

The combo is nice, too. I think a soporific silk tie would go a little better with the chalk stripes and the printed square. Good elements though.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
Suit: Chan in Lesser 13oz Herringbone
Tie: Drakes Wool Challis
Shirt: Geneva (still working on the collar)
Shoes: Vass

IMG00063-20110519-0909.jpg

IMG00065-20110519-0910.jpg
IMG00066-20110519-0910.jpg

No offense man, but you have all these expensive items, yet still manage to look like your average office worker, minus the shoes. If you're wearing Chan, Drakes, vass etc the least you could do is learn to tie a decent knot and iron your shirt collars yourself if you somehow can't find a drycleaner that understands how to press a collar.

Just trying to be helpful here. Your sloppy knots and wrinkled collars are really bringing you down, man. Not a fan of that tie either way, though.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
If you're wearing Chan, Drakes, vass etc the least you could do is learn to tie a decent knot and iron your shirt collars yourself if you somehow can't find a drycleaner that understands how to press a collar.

Agreed. Knot a lot more shaping. And I think the collar may be too big.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Airforce Friday
110520109.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
No offense man, but you have all these expensive items, yet still manage to look like your average office worker, minus the shoes. If you're wearing Chan, Drakes, vass etc the least you could do is learn to tie a decent knot and iron your shirt collars yourself if you somehow can't find a drycleaner that understands how to press a collar.

Just trying to be helpful here. Your sloppy knots and wrinkled collars are really bringing you down, man. Not a fan of that tie either way, though.

Axelman's look is more about small details, weaves/textures and quality of materials than it is about standing out. His pics, like mine, stink but his outfits have to be seen up close to be appreciated. We can't see the overall fit but the elements are very strong. The wool challis tie is more muted in person and wool challis is hard to describe, you have to see/touch it to get an appreciation of it. The shirt has a very subtle pattern, the suit looks like an interesting blue/grey color, again, with the nice herringbone pattern. Assuming the fit that Chan is capable of, this is one if those outfits where you notice a very well dressed man, but can't necessarily point out to any one item that stands out. That is probably what Axel wants.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Axelman's look is more about small details, weaves/textures and quality of materials than it is about standing out. His pics, like mine, stink but his outfits have to be seen up close to be appreciated. We can't see the overall fit but the elements are very strong. The wool challis tie is more muted in person and wool challis is hard to describe, you have to see/touch it to get an appreciation of it. The shirt has a very subtle pattern, the suit looks like an interesting blue/grey color, again, with the nice herringbone pattern. Assuming the fit that Chan is capable of, this is one if those outfits where you notice a very well dressed man, but can't necessarily point out to any one item that stands out. That is probably what Axel wants.

I agree with this. I feel like there are a lot of people on here who would get a lot more praise if they simply took better pictures. They might be on par with some of the "experts", but their photo quality doesn't get them the "fans" they would otherwise have if you saw them in person.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. I feel like there are a lot of people on here who would get a lot more praise if they simply took better pictures. They might be on par with some of the "experts", but their photo quality doesn't get them the "fans" they would otherwise have if you saw them in person.

"Ya, dat's why you call me - I am de expert." Karl Hungus

karl_hungus1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads