1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thank you! I've been paying attention and thanks to some great advice from a large number of people, I'm managing to build a wardrobe that I hope won't embarrass me.

Duly noted on the socks. Don't know what I was thinking as I had a more subtle patterned gray pair for this occasion. D'uh on me!

As to the shoes (old school Florsheim Imperials made in the U.S.A.), I am torn between them and a lighter pair of AE Sanfords (walnut burnished calf) that I have acquired. Would that be too light or should I go darker with a pair of cordovan Sanfords that I have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Very nice TTO, but I'd like to see some shirt cuff.

3. UrbanComposition

Finally got a basic navy suit. Wore it Friday.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

The suit looks terrific; the shoes could use some Saphir.

5. UrbanComposition

You got me there. It has been about a month since they had a good polishing.

6. TTO

TTO Senior member

Thanks UC, in real life the shirt sleeves are actually still a touch longer than I would like, but the shirt has only been through the wash once so the collar and cuffs should shrink a little more.
    Where they go I don't know, maybe the actions in setting the camera send them up my coat sleeves to hide, they where prominent all morning before the pictures?
    I like your suit today, i still need a plain navy that fits, I'm too big for my YSL one now, it was a touch to modern/short for me anyway, where did you find yours?
    -TTO

7. UrbanComposition

Ah, disappearing cuffs. Happens all the time.

Suit is WW Chan. I'm a weird size between a Short & Regular, so I opted for bespoke. Very happy with the results.

8. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

I also posted this over on the WAYWT thread.

I was wondering if this qualifies as CBD, and to me, everything seems to be in line with what I've seen here with the exception of the tie and maybe the PS.

[​IMG]

9. Acer

Acer Well-Known Member

Is your PS teal? If so, I think CBD is out.

I'm no expert, though.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, the proportions and fit of everything is way too fashiony.

11. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Is this the thread we come to to get away from the irrational exuberance of the WAYRN thread?

UC's navy suit was a wonderful sight for sore eyes.

12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

+1000000000000

There's some fun costume drama going on over in WAYWRN at the moment. But it has little to do with dressing for my world.

And UC - that navy suit looks great!

13. highball

highball Senior member

UC, just wanted to say that I've saved basically all of your recent fits (in this thread and elsewhere) to a folder i keep on my hard drive for great fits to refer back to later. For a a young guy such as myself who is just learning how to dress well in an office setting you've provided some great inspiration for how to get creative without going overboard.

Quoted for awesomeness:

I think this gets close to qualifying as CBD for a younger guy. I'm 26 and work in a fairly conservative office and could probably get away with this. If the jacket were just slightly larger in all dimensions I think this would be a great start.

On another note, how does the collective mind feel about pink shirts as CBD? I have a couple very unassuming pale pink shirts that I wear to the office on a regular basis and when worn with a dark suit and a toned-down tie I feel like they get me close to CBD.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

^^^^^^^^ In my CBD world pink shirts are fine^^^^^^^^^^^

15. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Does anyone have any recommendations on mohair books that would qualify as CBD (i.e. minimal sheen)? I'm looking for some hot weather material but I like my charcoals and navies on the dark side and the 8 oz. Minnis fresco charcoal and navy are a bit too light in color for what I'm looking for. I've heard mohair dyes better and figured that would be a good option.

16. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

The low mohair % Tonik have little noticeable sheen.

17. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

PS does not work here. On my monitor, it kind of looks like it matches the shirt. Either no PS or something more muted . . . or, possibly, white linen.

The jacket doesn't fit quite right. It is too short for CBD so it looks too fashion-forward.

The buttoning point is also too high but I don't suppose that is a serious CBD sin. And this has nothing to do with CBD at all, but for some reason, I think 2 button suits would look better on you.

18. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Also, try unbuttoning the top button.

19. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Pink's fine in my experience: have always worn it, my father regularly wore it. Context is everything, I guess, but I've never seen it as a big deal. But then I get slightly bemused by some on here who wear eye-incinerating sports jackets, OCBDs and brown brogues in a work environment complaining about others wearing shirts in anything other than white or blue or slightly more colourful ties. Maybe it's a Britisher thing (or maybe just me), but if the suit's conservative, the shoes are plain, I've never seen a problem pushing the boat out a bit with the shirt and tie.

20. academe

academe Senior member

I think in a UK context it's even expected/de rigueur to have a slightly livelier shirt/tie combination with sobre suiting and shoes. Perhaps not something as outrageous as a Duchamp tie for CBD, but brighter shirts, stripes & checks seem quite the norm. I almost feel that the plain white shirt - in certain social circles - almost borders on the naff...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011