• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
The cleaners destroyed the collar on my Hamilton test shirt, I ended up having a new collar put on it. I got so spooked that for the next few months I laundered and ironed the damn shirts myself, which was luxurious but a pain **********. Now I use a world class dry cleaner that offers hand finishing at $9 per, which is riduclous, but my time is worth a lot more than that. It's difficult to own anything nice these days unless you are willing to care for the items yourself.

The last I heard lawyers did a bit better than $9 per hour. Your cleaner should be paying you to do your shirts.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The last I heard lawyers did a bit better than $9 per hour. Your cleaner should be paying you to do your shirts.

In a weird sort of way, I kind of enjoy doing it. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would pay me 50 cents a shirt to do his laundry. Fast forward to 2011, when I told my dad that I was spending about 2 hours every Sunday ironing, he told me that was the dumbest thing he had heard in a very long time. LOL

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a weird sort of way, I kind of enjoy doing it.

So do I. Some nice music with it and of course an iron that steams like hell, because that sounds good.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
So do I. Some nice music with it and of course an iron that steams like hell, because that sounds good.

i ended up buying that iron you recommended
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, Tuesday evenings are my ironing days. Mondays wash, Tuesdays iron. Practically my whole evening is devoted. I really hate doing it though. I sweat like a pig.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
i ended up buying that iron you recommended
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I really hope
blush.gif
that you don't regret having listened to me...

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. Wish I was wearing a white shirt.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty - suit looks pretty good in general. There seem to be some bumps along the shoulder so perhaps the padding needs to get straightened out. Also, I'd recommend taking in the waist to give it more shape which I think would look on you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Divots!!!!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a weird sort of way, I kind of enjoy doing it. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would pay me 50 cents a shirt to do his laundry. Fast forward to 2011, when I told my dad that I was spending about 2 hours every Sunday ironing, he told me that was the dumbest thing he had heard in a very long time. LOL

I iron all of my shirts the morning I wear them.

Mike

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this ironing talk is making my head hurt. Wish I could justify doing it all, but no way it's ever going to happen unfortunately.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Lufty - suit looks pretty good in general. There seem to be some bumps along the shoulder so perhaps the padding needs to get straightened out. Also, I'd recommend taking in the waist to give it more shape which I think would look on you.

The padding is wonky and extends a bit too far, hence…

Originally Posted by Manton
Divots!!!!

I had considered some additional waist suppression - but the illusion here may be from lens distortion. Here's another shot from a different angle:

Originally Posted by MBreinin
I iron all of my shirts the morning I wear them.

Mike

As do I. Or the night before, if I'm in a planning sort of mood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads