1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

^ Agree on the aesthetic and break. Looks like tutee's trou. Break crosses the line from drape to droop.

- M

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trousers look good. Too much break? No way.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trousers look good. Too much break? No way.

I didn't know you were one of those puddle people.

4. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

^ Back looks fine. Slightly droopy in front. Perhaps he can get Chan to slant the break, less in the front but maintain the back Mid-Atlantic solution.

- M

5. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I've always thought this cat nailed it:

[​IMG]

but his physique needs no tailor's magic.

I don't see a lot of win here. Shoulder is suffering from dimple effect and there's no roll to the lapel. Barbera does a good example of showing how to get your roll on...

[​IMG]

That said, the Asian dude definitely has the physique where DB could be a win. He just needs to step his game up.

6. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Trousers cut for braces needn't be so roomy. Bown (http://www.bownsbespoke.com/) has several examples of trousers cut for braces with plenty of break that are not this full in the leg. And Bown is significantly heftier than Mr. Pink. The trousers above are simply too full in the thigh imo. A bit of shape would look a lot cleaner with such a well-fitting jacket.

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Yep... Pants like that just look too big, they have no shape at all
    Seriously? Look at the curve at the back of his pants. That's more shape than I've seen on the vast majority of pants on this forum, and I think it looks great. Not a look I want for myself, and they could still be trimmer for him. The front could also be tweaked. However, any critique that says these pants don't have any shape is just plain wrong. It may not be shape that you like, but that's entirely different.

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Shoulder is suffering from dimple effect

Look at how he's standing. Why would you expect to see a clean shoulder?

9. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

With that sort of (machine) padding, I wouldn't.

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

A good tailor will always ask 'And will sir be carrying his overcoat in the left or right hand?' [​IMG]

Point's well taken about the roll. My thought was more that the details on the coat are better balanced than on o/o's.

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Then you're completely unrealistic.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

In addition to how he is holding is arm I also feel that that kind of effect is endemic to roped shoulders.

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

CaymanS, a little knowledge is dangerous. Take a step back from the keyboard.

14. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

CaymanS, a little knowledge is dangerous. Take a step back from the keyboard.

I have no idea what you mean.

@TRINI, OK. Fair enough.

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have no idea what you mean.

@TRINI, OK. Fair enough.

probably the (machine) padding comment.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

probably the (machine) padding comment.
    Yes. What is a machine-padded shoulder? Are you talking about machine padded lapels? Are you talking about machine-made (i.e. pre-made) shoulder pads? Interpreted either way your comment betrays a lack of understanding wrt construction types, and X-ray vision/sartorial divination to boot. That Japanese guy's coat has a crease pressed into the lapel. Not au fait with SF taste, but I wouldn't say that it was wrong per se.

17. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Yes.

What is a machine-padded shoulder?

Are you talking about machine padded lapels? Are you talking about machine-made (i.e. pre-made) shoulder pads?

Interpreted either way your comment betrays a lack of understanding wrt construction types, and X-ray vision/sartorial divination to boot.

That Japanese guy's coat has a crease pressed into the lapel. Not au fait with SF taste, but I wouldn't say that it was wrong per se.

I did not mean machine-padded, and apologies for being unclear. The shoulder pads strike me as machine/pre-made and not cut to the size of his shoulders. Even with this level of padding, if they were narrower, I simply think it would give a cleaner look and would dimple less when he swings his arms out.

18. apropos

apropos Senior member

You are still missing the forest for the trees - diagnosing fit 'problems' from a dynamic photo is a fools errand. Suggesting 'solutions' to these 'problems' only adds to the [​IMG] BTW, pre-made shoulder pads can be trimmed to fit shoulders, and you can have poorly thought out handmade shoulder pads. Which brings me back to the X-ray vision/sartorial divination point.

19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

The break ruins the appearance of the trousers. A different cut where the cloth flows out over the shoe would look much nicer. Even less baggy legs and it can be done. For how baggy the legs are the bottoms should be out over the front of the shoes more.

Overall it is nice cloth and style.

Not quite sure what you mean, but in that pic the trou (especially the left leg) are a bit windblown. Normally they drape cleaner:

[​IMG]

Break might be a bit more than is common here, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

And as for the shoes, I have big feet. Trousers don't cover them much unless the bottoms are really wide - far more so than these.

20. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Belly and the next button up would forgive a lot.

With apologies to the thread, a blazer--but the only DB I own with real belly--buttoned three ways:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I can see the argument for buttoning the middle or the middle and bottom, but my inner slouch just prefers the roll through to the bottom.

Barbera does a good example of showing how to get your roll on...

[​IMG]

Here's the full shot of Barbera that day. Even when I don't steal his whole combination (which I have done), I ape his buttoning point:

[​IMG][​IMG]