1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Like Japanese poetry, CBD seems, at first glance, restrictive and formulaic. But in the hands of someone immersed in the art, it can be immensely expressive.

Creativity arises from constraints. Igor Stravinsky:

"My freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one's self of the chains that shackle the spirit."

"No matter what the subject may be, there is only one course for the beginner; he must at first accept a discipline imposed from without, but only as the means of obtaining freedom for, and strengthening himself in, his own method of expression."

--Andre

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Warm [autumn jacket] and cool [mostly winter tie, summer shirt] mixed together, one can only see the clothes, not the man.

CBD, so no need to see the man.

One can stare at the little patterns and think how unobtrusive the repetitions are.

There is no "uniform" in CBD, more mixy-matchy.

^ All warm [autumn] palette allows one to see the man.

Not a CBD man, but a stylish one.

This can pass as "uniform."

- M

The thread continues to find new ways to surprise and impress.

And here I thought I couldn't see Vox's posts because he was deleting them. Little did I know he was posting in a blue tie.

4. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

Although, I suspect that you talk about whining, you are thinking of something different.

- B

you are smarter beyond your years ... [​IMG]

5. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Interesting. - B
    ^ Based on sage advice, I am standing [sitting?] by you. Color is a purely emotional response, usually the first response, and a visceral one at that. Proportions and lines follow. For example, once I get past O/O's uniformity, I noticed how somewhat anemic his lapels are for a DB, especially when buttoned down low. More belly on them [leading to less accentuation of his] would glare less. - M P.S. What do you read on the commode?

6. voxsartoria

7. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

New suit from Chan. These pants are definitely too full and will be slimmed. Also, not sure if a bit too much drape in the chest. Minnis 520, blue hairline shirt, and Drakes shantung silk tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I noticed how somewhat anemic his lapels are for a DB, especially when buttoned down low.

They go 2/3 the way to the shoulder seam. How fat do those puppies need not to be anemic to you?

9. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

^ Not so much width of where lapels and collar sit in regards to shoulder length, but more so on the belly of the lapels themselves.

With DB there is a chance for curves, all over the place. With curves, I prefer them voluptuous.

Think Tom Ford or Edward Sexton, although not as swashbuckling as they.

- M

10. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

^ Not so much width of where lapels and collar sit in regards to shoulder length, but more so on the belly of the lapels themselves.

With DB there is a chance for curves, all over the place. With curves, I prefer them voluptuous.

Think Tom Ford or Edward Sexton, although not as swashbuckling as they.

- M

I have wider but I'm not partial to belly (well, I don't mind mine):

[​IMG]

Incidentally, the warm brown autumn colored suit is 10 oz. wool/mohair in a moderatedly open weave, so I was wearing it this spring when I took the pic. Mixed up as usual.

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] ^ There is far too much skinny and far too little of this on SF.

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

^ There is far too much skinny and far too little of this on SF.

Yes. Do not slim.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

^ There is far too much skinny and far too little of this on SF.

Yes. Do not slim.

Ignore.

Slim. Not skinny but slimmer than that.

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Pink, it's not so much a question of slimming the pants or not, but of giving them shape. Right now they seem to fall straight down (and come in a bit at the cuff). There should be some gradual decrease from the thigh to the shoe. Just think of the shape of your leg. The pants have a nice shape from the back. Maybe it's more an issue of ironwork than it is about how they are cut. Then again, I'm not a tailor so I have no idea what I am talking about.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^ My advice is listen to the man that makes pants.

16. Navi

Navi Senior member

Ignore.

Slim. Not skinny but slimmer than that.

Yep... Pants like that just look too big, they have no shape at all just | | ... Getting them tapered a bit doesn't move them into "skintight skinny" automatically, just give them a bit of character. There is such a thing as too much drape.

The jacket looks really great though. Giving the pants some shape will take it to the next level!

17. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

Do people thinking doing the 'PG Photo pose" makes them look like PG?

18. voxsartoria

19. voxsartoria

20. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

wider.

Yes.

- M