CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I like all the pieces seperately but it's a little busy. I think you need to swap out one pattern for a solid.

Oftentimes I wear this suit with a solid navy grenadine or a dotted knit, both probably would work a bit better than the current tie.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Security what? [​IMG]
    LOVE this photo; hilarious. You look as if you're in charge of their army. [​IMG] (good clothes, btw, as almost always)

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

New Orleans CBD.

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

5. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Tuesday:

[​IMG]

I suspect some won't consider Chelsea boots to be truly CBD, but with a slim suit I think they work okay:

[​IMG]

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

[​IMG]
    I think that you sometimes want a suit or coat to work that just doesn't fit you properly, and this is an example of that. This coat looks quite long, particularly with how low the pockets are. I think you would be better served by paring down your collection and focusing on items that don't require extensive alterations or that flatter your build. It seems that you may prefer quantity and variety over fit. That's fine, but I think it results in a number of outfits that are just a bit off. When you wear some of your coats that fit you well, it looks noticeably better. It's a trap that many on this forum, including myself, have fallen into. I think someone like Trini is a great example of how to get out of that trap. He had a bunch of decent outfits, but they often had some noticeable flaw. He pared down and started focusing more on getting things that fit, and the results show. Yes, he has less to choose from now, but they just look better. (I'm not talking about his diavolo-esque shift to very basic colors and patterns. I mean the actual fit of his clothes.)

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I started off yesterday with a patterned silk square, but then I remembered TITFD and went to white. The silk was too much. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I think that you sometimes want a suit or coat to work that just doesn't fit you properly, and this is an example of that. This coat looks quite long, particularly with how low the pockets are. I think you would be better served by paring down your collection and focusing on items that don't require extensive alterations or that flatter your build.

I have not worn this in a year. It is a suit I wear a few times a year, at most. I wanted to get some good pictures of it because I had pretty much retired it due to the length of the coat. After seeing the pictures, I am actually fine with it. For the amount of use it gets, I am not concerned. I wish it were an inch shorter, but the patch pockets prevent any length alteration and I guess Ralph Lauren thinks anyone who is a 42 should be at least 6 feet tall. C'est La Vie.

You are missing the mark here. While I used to have quite an extensive collection of various items, I have sold off more than half of my collection of suits and SCs and have carved it down to items that, for the most part, work. There are some iffy things still in the closets that see use, but most of it is gone and I have focused on items that I like the fit of. Does everything fit perfectly? No. Do I care? No. These are functional pieces of my life. I wear these clothes day in an day out. Sometimes, you have to compromise. And, for the record, of all the suits I own and wear, this suit has received the most compliments in the real world. Outside of our isolated little sartorial world, real people don't see this fit and think "wow, if it were only an inch shorter in length it would flatter his 'build' so much better." No, they just see the color and the basic style and fit and that registers. I often chuckle at how different the real world is compared to our online world.

I used to fall into that trap. I have moved away from it.

Also, I think I prefer the old Trini, to be honest. I enjoyed his eclectic collection of SCs and his individuality.

And, that is precisely why I chose this suit today. Because going through my closet, I just didn't want to wear one of the same suits or SCs that I wear over and over again (keep in mind that I don't post in this thread that often, so if you are not looking at the regular WAYWRN, you are not seeing how often I repeat). So, I went to the reserve closet and pulled this out, much like I pulled out yesterday's suit.

Mike

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I often chuckle at how different the real world is compared to our online world.

+ a bazillion

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

PG - great photos (higher class security guard look too)

Mike - I like the way this has a strong regional flavour, yes it's a tad long but horribly so

Orge - You made the right decision on the PS. Looks good.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

warm and sunny:

[​IMG]

The stripe weave in the tie isn't as obvious from straight on - it looks pretty much solid from 4-5ft
    PS probably isn't optimal - any suggestions (obviously not white)?

[​IMG]

Must be brown monks day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

+ a bazillion

Except we come here for the very purpose of discussing the minutiae of clothing, which is why I chuckle when people chuckle about how detached from the real world this forum is. Of course we are detached from the real world. That's sort of the whole point of the forum.

14. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Security what?
    [​IMG]

ain't no big deal but i'm the boss around this motherfucker.

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Except we come here for the very purpose of discussing the minutiae of clothing, which is why I chuckle when people chuckle about how detached from the real world this forum is. Of course we are detached from the real world. That's sort of the whole point of the forum.

Yes and no. I don't exist in a vacuum. I have to wear these clothes, not just put them on and post pictures for critique and dissection. Also, quite often something that is praised here is looked at with a strange eye "out there."

Mike