• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What are those lines on the collar then?

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It seems to have it. The stripes on the shirt, are they in the weave? As in a different weave and texture?

Raised weave. I think it's known as dimity.

When I think jacquard, I think of that shiny sheen look - like a self-stripe. I may be mistaken.

ctp120

Reaction score
I take it back, ditch the jaquard stripe on the shirt.
Honestly, I was shocked you didn't note this right off. Faith in your discernment restored; carry on.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Raised weave. I think it's known as dimity.

When I think jacquard, I think of that shiny sheen look - like a self-stripe. I may be mistaken.

Same thing; not conservative business dress.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing; not conservative business dress.

The goal here, essentially, is clothing that wouldn't get attention in a conservative office.

Brown suede shooz are conservative business dress.

A raised weave white shirt is not.

eh.gif

Just when I thought I'd gotten a hang of this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The goal here, essentially, is clothing that wouldn't get attention in a conservative office.

Brown suede shooz are conservative business dress.

A raised weave white shirt is not.

eh.gif

Yeah, b/c brown suede shoes are classy/U and jacquards are greaseball/non-U.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Elaborate? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

ctp120

Reaction score

+ ∞

No offense meant towards luftvier, by the way. Your look is very good overall.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Elaborate? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Suede looks nice and has a pedigree. A brown suede shoe is, like a gray flannel suit or a shepherd's check tie, one of the markers of someone who knows how to dress. It's unusual, compared to calf, but not flashy. It's distinctive and understated at the same time.

Jacquard and fancy weave shirtings are flashy and mostly eschewed by the great dressers and always have been. Edge stripes on collars and cuffs are worse but in the same vein.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
protip on white shirts: don't get anything that is supposed to make it "interesting". Stick with the typical weaves and avoid self stripes, jacquards, dimity, sheer, etc.

Originally Posted by ctp120
+ ∞

No offense meant towards luftvier, by the way. Your look is very good overall.

No offense taken; I don't think there's a substantial population (outside of here) that's going to hold this shirt against me. FWIW, this is one from my first (only) foray into MtM shirts. My desire for "unique" is now out of my system.

I never really considered this weave "flashy," as it's rather unnoticeable until one gets really close. Hm.

Coincidentally, I also had a white jacquard w/ mini blue stripes made at that time. I thought it looked great when I got it, but I rately wear it as there's nothing it looks good with.

Suede looks nice and has a pedigree. A brown suede shoe is, like a gray flannel suit or a shepherd's check tie, one of the markers of someone who knows how to dress. It's unusual, compared to calf, but not flashy. It's distinctive and understated at the same time.

Jacquard and fancy weave shirtings are flashy and mostly eschewed by the great dressers and always have been. Edge stripes on collars and cuffs are worse but in the same vein.

This is what I imagined you'd say.

Luckily, I know better than to get edge striped shirts.

ctp120

Reaction score
Again, not directed at luftvier, because you show obvious other signs of good taste, but I'd expect someone who consistently goes for white jacquards over white solids to also drive a yellow hummer and/or wear copious amounts of hair gel.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
protip on white shirts: don't get anything that is supposed to make it "interesting". Stick with the typical weaves and avoid self stripes, jacquards, dimity, sheer, etc.

This board needs more protips in general.

elgreco

Reaction score
Edge stripes on collars and cuffs are worse but in the same vein.

I saw a gentleman this morning in the lobby of my Biglaw firm's building wearing an edgestriped collar shirt. I was dismayed, but then I realized I am utterly un-conservative business dress today, so the scales of judgment were leveled.

ctp120

Reaction score
I never really considered this weave "flashy," as it's rather unnoticeable until one gets really close. Hm.

This example is a low level offender for sure. Still, I was surprised at first when I thought it had slipped past the all seeing eagle-eye in Manton's conservative business dress panopticon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads