CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Well, I'm only in Kentucky by a few hundred yards--I can see Indiana from my desk.

Kentucky, and especially Louisville, is the black sheep of US regions. Nobody claims it. If you're from the South, Louisville is definitely not the South. if you're from the Midwest, Kentucky is not the Midwest. Etc.

I think of Louisville as the South.

Mike

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

It's hard to get the balance right in this thread because the definition of CBD will never be precise.

I beg to differ.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

After what Lufty just posted, perhaps my socks today will slip under Ed's radar.

Socks should be burned, son. Are they of teh Glennie variety?

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I beg to differ.

What, you have the definition that everyone will agree on and that makes every ensemble instantly classifiable as CBD or not?

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    -TTO

I enjoyed how the lady was so reluctantly captured in the background. [​IMG]

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Making my first CBD WAYWRN post... Apologies for the crappy lighting. My biggest complaint about this suit is that its button stance is 1.5-2" too high. Also, I'm aware that the sleeves are too long, though this is exacerbated by the fact that the shirt sleeves are bit too short. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. srivats

srivats Senior member

8. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Aravanel--Thanks for posting this. I like seeing folks post besides the usual suspects. Really like the tie. Shirt collar is good too. I think ed is right to point out that collar shape/height is sometimes under-appreciated here as a key factor in the overall look. A few critical points aside from sleeves and button stance, since you addressed those:
    ^ I'd use a different square.
    Square does look very casual relative to the suit and tie. Is it cotton? The gingham also looks brown on my monitor, which seems out of place, especially with black shoes. On the back of the coat, you need to address the collar roll. May be due to posture or prominent blades, but either way, I'd get it cleaned up.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Aravanel--Thanks for posting this. I like seeing folks post besides the usual suspects. Really like the tie. Shirt collar is good too. I think ed is right to point out that collar shape/height is sometimes under-appreciated here as a key factor in the overall look. A few critical points aside from sleeves and button stance, since you addressed those: Square does look very casual relative to the suit and tie. Is it cotton? The gingham also looks brown on my monitor, which seems out of place, especially with black shoes. On the back of the coat, you need to address the collar roll. May be due to posture or prominent blades, but either way, I'd get it cleaned up.
    Thanks. The square is a brown cotton gingham. I agree that it is a bit casual relative to the suit--that's actually somewhat on purpose, as I was trying to "soften up" the suit a bit--pinstripes with solid white shirt can be too close to a "power suit", which I was trying to avoid. Good point about not matching the shoes though, didn't even think of that... Definitely agree about the collar roll too. This suit actually has a nasty habit of gaping at the neck, which is probably due to the collar being a bit too high, also causing this collar roll. Will definitely have to get it taken care of.

10. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Not sure if this suit pattern would make the cut as CBD, or the knit tie for that matter, but it is pretty subdued. Plus, black shoes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

Whoa - old school fish mouth Oxxford-style lapels. Love those. But that doesn't look like Oxxford pick-stitching(?) In any case, I like this.

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Whoa - old school fish mouth Oxxford-style lapels. Love those. But that doesn't look like Oxxford pick-stitching(?) In any case, I like this.

It is not Oxxford, it is Domenico Spano.

Thanks for the kudos,

Mike

12. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

It is my debut here. Critical comments, please, gentlemen?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if CBD, but I love this. хорошо​

13. Big A

Big A Senior member

Bow ties are CBD in the South.
    I used to wear them frequently as an associate at a relatively conservative, large-ish firm. Never got a negative comment - at least not about the bow ties. This was in South Florida - while technically in the south by the map, it was more like Long Island (the shitty part)

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This was in South Florida - while technically in the south by the map, it was more like Long Island (the shitty part)

That's the truth, there might be more Yankees in Florida than in New Jersey [​IMG]

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks. The square is a brown cotton gingham. I agree that it is a bit casual relative to the suit--that's actually somewhat on purpose, as I was trying to "soften up" the suit a bit--pinstripes with solid white shirt can be too close to a "power suit", which I was trying to avoid.

To my eye you didn't achieve what you wanted to accomplish with that square. It doesn't soften the look of the CBD suit and tie, it makes it look off. The pattern of the square is too inconsistent with the rest of the look.