CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Eagle-eye lawyer, you don't need a blackline to spot a difference between versions [​IMG]

Yes, I do feel a little naked today - I left home thinking I had one of those drakes mogul squares in my bag... turns out I didn't [​IMG]

Jeebus... how long you been here?

Spare sock? 3x5 card? Paper towel?

You must give your all, mang, your ALL.

2. srivats

srivats Senior member

Thanks Sri.

It's funny, I have three BB sacks (navy, charcoal, olive). All are identically cut. But I've now gotten different opinions on each with relation to how the trouser cut relates to the coat.

I think the trou were hiked a little high in these photos. They don't normally appear this short on me, though a lengthening is likely in order. I just don't wanna lose my cuffs.

I still enjoy a slimmer odd trouser, but I agree that suit trou should be fuller. I am looking forward to spring to pull out the whole GTH wardrobe, which is admittedly not CBD, but may be tradly.

The best trouser fit that I liked on you was your (newish?) glenplaid suit - it was fuller and longer than any other suit you've posted so far and it looked great. I can't recall the maker, BB, maybe?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

The shoes are the deal breaker.

agreed

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Elaborate?

sure, they are beaten to death. nice with denim, though i don't recall if you wear this kind of stuff.

imo, they, their overall condition, are not suitable for business anymore.

6. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Yeah, they're broken in. Beaters even. But black bal punchcaps with denim? [​IMG]

7. quar

quar Senior member

[​IMG]

gdl203, is that a Chan or a NSM? I really like that coat.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

gdl203, is that a Chan or a NSM? I really like that coat.

This one is a Borrelli

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

This one is a Borrelli

I was going to guess neither so glad I was somewhat correct! Keep up the good work gdl...

10. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

This one is a Borrelli

Sorrento?

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sorrento?

Posillipo

12. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

PG, I am not so into your squares for the most part. However, I like this look a lot. The way the lighter blue contrasts with the black is nice. The totally unexpected brown shoes give it a nice twist.
    - I actually had my black "Belgraves" on first then..
    Is the tie black or midnight blue? Either way, I have to disagree about the shoes; I'd prefer black with this tie. Gorgeous suit cloth and perfect shirt collar.
    - the tie is navy & black
    I continue to be impressed by the quality of this thread. The posts, feedback and replies are very helpful and constructive.
    - I agree.. MostExerent..
    With a few exceptions, my suit trousers have DAKS type waist bands. I can wear them either with suspenders on the looser adjustment or without on the tighter. Almost invariably if I wear them without suspenders, even though the adjustment makes them properly snug in the waist, I periodically have to pull them up. Which raises the question, why the #*%+ don't I just always wear suspenders?
    - interesting, in this case I forgot to pull in the tabs in the morning.
    It's hard to get the balance right in this thread because the definition of CBD will never be precise. There is a massive element of "I like/dislike" which I acknowledged in the very first post.

I think we are trying to do three things here:

1) Post what we actually wear to work, in non-circus environments. I.e., if you are the creative director at a fashion start-up, then CBD is sort of irrelevant for you. This thread is about people who go to normal offices every day and must wear suits but 99% of their colleagues don't care about dressing beyond its obligatory character.

2) TITFD. This is about being less nuts than regular WAYWRN, more sedate. Yes, there will be an element of groupthink, which I do not think is bad. This is a thread with a POV. There are parameters, expectations and limits otherwise it would just be another free for all.

3) Find ways not be too rote or too dull. Push CBD outward a little without breaking the barries totally.

- amen

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I continue to be impressed by the quality of this thread. The posts, feedback and replies are very helpful and constructive.

+1. It's the best show on television.

By show I mean thread.

And by television I mean SF.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Interesting discussion going on in here, I agree with a lot of the thoughts posted about not doing patterned everything, it's simply overboard many times.

This one is probably not CBD, but this place is home to me. Which BTW, great looks posted lately!!

[​IMG]

This one is a work in progress, I have some tick-weave tan linen/silk pants on the way to spruce it up.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Socks!!!