1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

[​IMG] In my usual bad photography. The only non-conservative thing i'm wearing is an Alligator belt with a sterling slide buckle that is monogrammed.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went a little crazy today. It was sort of cold, but not cold enough for an OC. Perfect day for three piece flannel. This is just about as loud as I get these days.

Three piece brown flannel chalk stripe, solid blue shirt, Italian striped tie, purplish paisley square, brown & blue wool socks, dark brown cap toes (that look burgundy but that are really brown).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

It's certainly on the 'different' side of conservative, but I like it.
    And I'm not too fond of brown suits, ordinarily.

4. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I went a little crazy today. It was sort of cold, but not cold enough for an OC. Perfect day for three piece flannel. This is just about as loud as I get these days. Three piece brown flannel chalk stripe, solid blue shirt, Italian striped tie, purplish paisley square, brown & blue wool socks, dark brown cap toes (that look burgundy but that are really brown). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's like a CBD hat trick. Three-piece, double-breasted AND chalk-striped! The shoes are interesting. Do you think the overall effect would be better with burgundy? For some reason I can't put my finger on, I have the impression that it would. Second, can you comment on the lapel width? Finally, I renew my question on ticket pockets on double-breasted suits.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Manton, who makes those birdseye looking socks from today and yesterday?

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

I went a little crazy today. It was sort of cold, but not cold enough for an OC. Perfect day for three piece flannel. This is just about as loud as I get these days.

Three piece brown flannel chalk stripe, solid blue shirt, Italian striped tie, purplish paisley square, brown & blue wool socks, dark brown cap toes (that look burgundy but that are really brown).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great silhouette on that jacket, Manton. I really wish you'd post photos in natural light.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your clothes all fit so well.

Who made those shoes?

8. Manton

Who made those shoes?

Cleverley.

9. Manton

The shoes are interesting. Do you think the overall effect would be better with burgundy? For some reason I can't put my finger on, I have the impression that it would.

Second, can you comment on the lapel width?

Finally, I renew my question on ticket pockets on double-breasted suits.

The lapel width is, I think, moderate.

I forgot the question on ticket pockets. Anyway, I don't like them on any city suits and I really don't like them on DB.

Manton, who makes those birdseye looking socks from today and yesterday?

Yesterday's were Pantherella. I can't remember what these are.

10. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

As HF suggested, todays CBD [​IMG] [​IMG] -SOS

11. Manton

As HF suggested, todays CBD

1) I pretty much never think that odd jackets constitute businesswear.

2) If you are going to do it, you need more contrast between coat and pants.

3) The sheen and very fine pattern of that coat make it look like a suit jacket.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Yesterday's were Pantherella. I can't remember what these are.

Thank you. And thanks for doing this.

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

1) I pretty much never think that odd jackets constitute businesswear. 2) If you are going to do it, you need more contrast between coat and pants. 3) The sheen and very fine pattern of that coat make it look like a suit jacket.
    OK. Since this appears to be a 7-continent threak, I'll chime in with a few thoughts from fly-over country. 1. Here, only some lawyers and a few others wear suits to work these days. Sad but true. My standard business uniform is exactly this, but without a tie. Also I usually go with a patterned sport jacket, but sometimes a navy blazer (like today) Most people in my office think I over-dress. I work in banking. 2. Surprised that you don't think this is enough contrast, this appears on my screen to be pretty much the standard, navy/light charcoal uniform of the Trad. This is how Lisa Birnbach told me I should dress back in 1980 (or there abouts). 3. No comment on the third. I pretty much agree, although I probably wouldn't notice it in real life.

14. Manton

I guess I am out of touch with 1). I figure, either you wear a tie to work or you don't. If you don't, then no need for a jacket.

2) The combo is not "wrong," but lighter pants would be better.

I also think--and it's hard to explain the basis of this--that his shirt & tie combo, while nice, is a suit combo, not an odd jacket combo.

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I guess I am out of touch with 1). I figure, either you wear a tie to work or you don't. If you don't, then no need for a jacket. 2) The combo is not "wrong," but lighter pants would be better. I also think--and it's hard to explain the basis of this--that his shirt & tie combo, while nice, is a suit combo, not an odd jacket combo.
    I am a man caught between two worlds. I can't bring myself to stop wearing jackets to the office. It seems...wrong. I've been able to ween myself from the tie, but only because every time I wear a tie (100% of the time) someone comments that I must be interviewing for a new job (joke got old about 10 years ago). Jackets without ties here are pretty common. Except on Fridays when it's jeans and golf shirts. Did I mention I work in banking? The pocket square is my tie. My own personal rebellion against the tyrrany of the lowest-common denominator. Very few people wear them, but I seem to be able to get away with the sports jacket, trousers, button down shirt, pocket square look without raising too many eyebrows. Add a tie to the combo and everyone's got a comment. :shrug: One adapts to one's environment I suppose. The only time we wear suits is if we are meeting with a client that will be wearing one. Even some clients consider them stuffy and so we try to sort out the dress code beforehand. I liked it better when there was one dress code and everyone knew it. Things are much more complicated here these days.

16. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I like the look of a blazer with medium grey or medium brown trousers. It's like an intermediate level of formality between the other odd jacket/trouser combos and a suit. Plus the color combo just looks pleasing to my eye, more pleasing than navy/light grey or navy/khaki.

17. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

For a better representation of color : [​IMG] While this is an odd jacket, it reads blazer from a distant of more than 5 ft. Additionally, this was a sold only jacket fabric from a pretty respected company, and I agree. When seen in person, it would not be a suit fabric whatsoever.

18. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

I don't like that tie with that outfit Manton, seems too 'matchy' and a different pattern would be better

19. Manton

I don't like that tie with that outfit Manton, seems too 'matchy' and a different pattern would be better

Actually, I think that is a good example of how to pair stripes with stripes. Different width, scale, spacing and grouping.

20. Manton

For a better representation of color :
    [​IMG]

While this is an odd jacket, it reads blazer from a distant of more than 5 ft. Additionally, this was a sold only jacket fabric from a pretty respected company, and I agree. When seen in person, it would not be a suit fabric whatsoever.

I need DocHolliday here. I guess this is like those early '60s small, tone-on-tone plaids. Somehow the whole is not doing it for me. Maybe if the tie were narrower and/or a knit. I am also not a fan, generally, of graph paper checks on shirts. Gingham or a more complex check is better.

Overall, I think we (on SF) overuse the check jacket/check shirt combo. There is nothing wrong with solid shirts.