• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ PG, do you have edge stitching on your buttondown collars? That's unusual.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
conservative business dress Tuesday. Collar's a mess, but it's completely devoid of fusible so I can never get it to look as sharp as I want. Must practice my ironing. Tomorrow: People's Court taping.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I like the fit of the db in the first pic, but iron your shirt and lose the tie bar.
devil.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
^^^I like the fit of the db in the first pic, but iron your shirt and lose the tie bar.
devil.gif

Thanks.

I spend 5 minutes just trying to get the dammed collar ironed this morning. Need to buy more sizing.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ditch the square and maybe swap in lace-ups for monks and I think this is UCBD.

Mj19z.jpg

Is this one of Solito?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie is a good bit darker than it appears.

Mike

FuckIt1.JPG

FuckIt2.JPG

FuckIt3.JPG

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

Great colours for our current weather. I leave it to the overseers to determine its CBDitudity

Thanks - It's a pretty good April so far. I think the verdict on knit ties was - not conservative business dress but might pass as a grenadine so probably okay...

Originally Posted by Holdfast

Elephant-grey pure silk DB for the ongoing sunny and warm weather. Solid grey suit, simple blockstripe tie and black captoes still makes this officially conservative business dress, right...?
wink.gif

ODwcJ.jpg
Nice, and pushing the conservative business dress envelope
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TRINI
5610731158_51d2fbd621_z.jpg

5610147205_c10e31f7fb_z.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Great tie Trini
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Here's my latest attempt at conservative business dress

20104111.jpg

20104112.jpg
[/SPOILER]Socks are gray, not black.

Good. Dark blue tie on blue shirt does seem to be a conservative business dress classic
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ctp120
I wear this combo often with this sportcoat anyways, but I was already in the car on the way to work when I realized that I'd most likely chosen it today after seeing Orgetorix's pic yesterday, which I liked very much.

DSC_0861.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I'd be interested in seeing how this looks buttoned.
Originally Posted by Manton
Ditch the square and maybe swap in lace-ups for monks and I think this is UCBD.

HLZQG.jpg

Mj19z.jpg

x5pUG.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Definitely approaching UCBD
Originally Posted by inlandisland
Kiddo_1.jpg

greentie_2.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Nice tie.
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Needed contrast in textures so wore a satin tie. Very difficult to capture the colors. By the way, I love the burgundy tie. What is it?

k7tqe.jpg

y49fi.jpg

The blue tie/single colour palette keeps it toned down.
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Not all that conservative business dress, and not what I wore today, but I know Manton loves a striped shirt with white ground ...
bluedot.jpg

bluedotboots.jpg
(That's actually the very shirt with white ground I was talking about earlier in the thread -- forgot I took a pic that day.)
Nice shirt
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sugarbutch
I have long favored the light gray suit/light blue tie combo. Manton, are light gray suits conservative business dress, IYO?
Thanks. I'm interested too.
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
St Crepin's Day
110412056.jpg

110412057.jpg
I like all of this (CBA)
Originally Posted by luftvier
conservative business dress Tuesday. Collar's a mess, but it's completely devoid of fusible so I can never get it to look as sharp as I want. Must practice my ironing. Tomorrow: People's Court taping.

I don't understand the need for a collar bar with a DB so it looks a little extraneous. That collar is awful
smile.gif
Suit looks good though.
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Tie is a good bit darker than it appears.

Mike
FuckIt1.JPG

FuckIt2.JPG

FuckIt3.JPG
Looks fine overall, but I'm not convinced I like the tie.
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
I like this

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the tie yesterday, not owning a true yellow tie. Having chosen a safeish shirt I came to the PS problem eventually settling on the one shown but I'm not sure it's quite optimum. Any suggestions? I think a darker suit might be better with the tie too - thoughts?

As it has the air of a Liberal Democrat MP I could have abandoned my principles and gone for a white linen PS with a non-white shirt I suppose*

Sticking with the political, I don't normally wear Suede shoes with a suit, but if they're good enough for cabinet ministers they're good enough for me.

20110412_main.jpg

20110412_detail.jpg

20110412_shoes.jpg

*If you're outside of the Uk this will probably go over your heads, and it's not worth worrying about.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
As it has the air of a Liberal Democrat MP I could have abandoned my principles and gone for a white linen PS with a non-white shirt I suppose
Blue square needed in that context, then, surely.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads