1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

The knot and collar look terrible. If that's what you like, fine, but how could you ever think that collar is even remotely CBD? note: I'm not trying to be mean, though that picture left me with a look of horror upon my face. I would wager you'd already be anticipating comments such as my own though.
    I'm on my phone so maybe not seeing well but the knot and collar look like what I wear in every picture.

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Oh, lots of members have let me have it. Feel free to continue [​IMG] . Part of it is bad camera angle. Part of it is that it's a pure cutaway. Pure cutaway is CBD in England, and it's been re-hashed several times in this thread that CBD = international CBD. That's all I'm saying.

OK fair enough. Now explain that thing on your chin!

3. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

OK fair enough. Now explain that thing on your chin!

Haha fair point! The King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia non-connecting goatee is in no way CBD. In fact, my facial hair probably kills my chance of ever posting legit CBD in this thread [​IMG]

4. Navi

Navi Senior member

I'm on my phone so maybe not seeing well but the knot and collar look like what I wear in every picture.

It's some cutaway collar which is nearly a straight line across. I'm all for spread collars, but past a certain point, probably when you can start seeing the sides of the tie past the knot, it just starts looking ugly to me. [​IMG]

The tie knot is huge as all hell, which is probably necessary considering the collar, but the whole combo just looks unattractive to me. It certainly isn't CBD in any sense except for the colors.

5. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now that I'm at home I still think it's partly the angle of the photo (the knot does seem like it could use some tightening). Might look better head-on.

As for the collar: incontro, the king of CBD, had a nearly straight cutaway as well.

Here's a couple different angles from previous fits of my collar and knots. Curious if you have the same hatred towards mine knowing that you can see some of the tie past the knot:
    (close-up of collar area)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(full pics)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Butler

Butler Senior member

They don't work for me personally. I also don't like the look.
    +1

7. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

[​IMG]
    For my money, Parker is the best dressed guy on this forum

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Not CBD (I think Manton said something like 'not even close' lol).

I'm starting to think that CBD is whatever Manton says it is (depending on the day of the week)!

I don't remember commenting on this at all. But the colors are fine and plenty CBD, however the knot and shirt collar are sort of neo-Edwardian and flashy.

9. Manton

manton, is that a white shirt or a really light blue one in the most recent outfit?

Blue.

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Back to work today. Hopefully CBD enough...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No worries. It probably has as much to do with my age which is pushing 50 than anything else.

Though, I must admit that sleek bluchers from the likes of Lobb, Cothay etc. look great with a slim cut suit trouser with no cuff. It may not be my style, but it does looks good.

I am with you on this and I am 25. To me derbies can be substituted for sneakers in most applications.

12. patrickBOOTH

I hate the look of side tabs. Something is missing in the silhouette without a belt IMO. I ask my tailor to add belt loops every time I bring an OTR suit that has side tabs.

I feel that belt loops look to generic. I think side tabs look finished, while still looking clean.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Belt is for plebe? [​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

Ha! I wouldn't go that far.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Blue.
    Manton, the collar looks good on that shirt. By the way, I'm a fan of the cut of your suits. I like your jacket lengths and the fullness of your trousers.

16. Manton

Back to work today. Hopefully CBD enough...
    As you can imagine, I don't like the shirt, but everything else looks good.

17. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

18. Manton

The latter is just a lot richer and more interesting. Note that white dominates the former, but blue dominates the latter.

19. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I am with you on this and I am 25. To me derbies can be substituted for sneakers in most applications.

I understand the origin of this rule, but for whatever reason, I think of shoes in precisely opposite terms. I don't really care for oxfords and wear bluchers or derbys with slim cut suits all the time. I like chunky shoes with slim fit suits. It just appeals to me.

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Very nice, I really like that shirt.