1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

I agree with you on the trousers, but the jacket seems to have better shape than most of Old Dog's stuff.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah what the hell. As my style has been progressing more towards, what I understand as CBD, I figured I might as well drop a fit or two in here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are both good and quite CBD. I like the second better mostly because I don't like the first tie. Obviously, the shoes in the second make the ensemble less conservative, but in a good way. Also, nice use of a solid tie to balance out a patterned jacket and shirt.

3. Manton

[​IMG]
    All the parts here are nice. This is getting into fairly bold territory, however. I am one to talk as I am wearing a chalk stripe DB today too. But I think it would have been "calmer" to wear a darker shoe. Not necessarily black but a darker brown.

The lapels are pretty F-U. I think I would ditch to the tie clasp to make the whole less conspicuous, and I no longer like ticket pockets on city clothes.

4. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

These are both good and quite CBD. I like the second better mostly because I don't like the first tie. Obviously, the shoes in the second make the ensemble less conservative, but in a good way. Also, nice use of a solid tie to balance out a patterned jacket and shirt.

Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

So how does today's look fit in?

[​IMG]

5. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

re: olddog - I find the cut of this suit and particularly the trousers very unflattering. Clearly the shoes are too sleek for these wide-legged, wide-opening trousers.

+1

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

I no longer like ticket pockets on city clothes.
    I am kind of nonplussed by ticket pockets on DBs in general. Is this normal or should I seek counseling?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

6 to 1 jacket. Don't see those often.

8. Manton

Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

So how does today's look fit in?

[​IMG]

It's good. I am not in love with the tone of the tie. And, of course, smoking is bad for you.

9. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Cheers. I appreciate the comments and feedback. So how does today's look fit in? [​IMG]
    I like how your tie matches your cigarettes.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton, can cavalry twill be used for CBD suiting?

11. Manton

Manton, can cavalry twill be used for CBD suiting?

I don't think so. Serge or gab or just plain ole twill are fine, though.

12. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

It's good. I am not in love with the tone of the tie. And, of course, smoking is bad for you.

And I desaturated the image too [​IMG] The tie is actually a bit darker IRL than it appears in the photo but still on the stronger side. I was going to go with my blue with white pin dot tie but wasn't sure if that would have been too much given the strength of the shirt pattern.

yeah, I know but SF has just been so stressful these past few months [​IMG]

13. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I like how your tie matches your cigarettes.

It also happened to match part of the facade of the Monaco Hotel [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

All the parts here are nice. This is getting into fairly bold territory, however. I am one to talk as I am wearing a chalk stripe DB today too. But I think it would have been "calmer" to wear a darker shoe. Not necessarily black but a darker brown.

The lapels are pretty F-U. I think I would ditch to the tie clasp to make the whole less conspicuous, and I no longer like ticket pockets on city clothes.

Thanks, and I quite agree with everything you say. I chose the shoes, socks, square, and tie bar positioning because, given my age and tenure, I can "get away with it" on a day when I am not in court and am meeting only with people whom I see regularly. Nonetheless, I would wear and have worn combinations very like this to many court appearances. And even for the most conservative of appellate court proceedings, I would wear this suit, shirt and tie combining them, however, with darkest brown punch cap oxfords, navy socks, white linen handkerchief, and tie bar positioned, for function only, below the cross-over point of the coat fronts. Caveat: I learned to dress as a retail menswear clerk rather than as a law clerk.

15. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

It also happened to match part of the facade of the Monaco Hotel [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My hat is off to you. Matching your WAYWN look to the local architecture is truly next-level.

16. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

These are both good and quite CBD. I like the second better mostly because I don't like the first tie. [...]

Is there something inherently wrong with the tie, or is it just personal preference?

17. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Too shiny and bright for my taste. I hate satin ties anyway.

18. Manton

Too shiny and bright for my taste. I hate satin ties anyway.

And sort of a gimmcky stripe pattern.

19. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

This is worn with a navy blue suit but would this have been a better shirt/tie combo for today's grey suit?

[​IMG]

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, and I quite agree with everything you say. I chose the shoes, socks, square, and tie bar positioning because, given my age and tenure, I can "get away with it" on a day when I am not in court and am meeting only with people whom I see regularly. Nonetheless, I would wear and have worn combinations very like this to many court appearances. And even for the most conservative of appellate court proceedings, I would wear this suit, shirt and tie combining them, however, with darkest brown punch cap oxfords, navy socks, white linen handkerchief, and tie bar positioned, for function only, below the cross-over point of the coat fronts. Caveat: I learned to dress as a retail menswear clerk rather than as a law clerk.

If I understand Manton's intention for this thread, this comment is right on point. o/o is within the universe of CBD, but he's earned the right to get away with more in certain contexts. J Cogburn's post upthread about UCBD is probably good advice for the young man starting off in a conservative business so that he can rise to the point where he can pull off something like o/o's style. Which is pretty awesome, IMO. I want to dress like him when I grow up!