• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
5a734d61.jpg

Like the shoes - Kiton?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Interesting - I think the association (in that they have one) over here would be academics, social-workers and other left-leaning professions.

Same here.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would argue that square-end knit ties are actually profoundly unCBD these days in the US. It would automatically attract stares and comments in most conservative professions. Moreso than unCBD shoes, an unCBD jacket or shirt.

Agree 100% with this. There's no way you could wear a square-end tie to my office and not have a slew of comments come your way

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Agree 100% with this. There's no way you could wear a square-end tie to my office and not have a slew of comments come your way

I have done it at least twice here and I no one said anything. Maybe I will try again just to see.

southbound35

Reaction score
Glad your vacation was "wonderful".

A few nit-picks.

1) Presuming the tie is black, red, grey/silver (which is how it appears on my monitor), I don't think it works with the blue shirt (which I like on its own). If I were to wear red/black/silver tie (I don't think I would), I would stick with a white shirt, a light grey shirt , or a white with grey or black stripe/check (the last two of the three I wouldn't wear).

2) It may just be this particular tie, but I don't like the double FIH look with a narrow tie.

3) I think the narrow lapels require a shorter collar on the shirt.

Originally Posted by PandArts
First day back after a wonderful vacation...new shirt and vintage Oleg Casini tie.

Oleg-040411_01.jpg

Oleg-040411_02.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks B...

wait, what? young pants what?
confused.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Glad your vacation was "wonderful".

A few nit-picks.

1) Presuming the tie is black, red, grey/silver (which is how it appears on my monitor), I don't think it works with the blue shirt (which I like on its own). If I were to wear red/black/silver tie (I don't think I would), I would stick with a white shirt, a light grey shirt , or a white with grey or black stripe/check (the last two of the three I wouldn't wear).

2) It may just be this particular tie, but I don't like the double FIH look with a narrow tie.

3) I think the narrow lapels require a shorter collar on the shirt.

Good point. I was toying with the idea of going with a plain white shirt with this tie or another tie with this shirt but woke up late and just said f-it let's see how this works. It's funny when I bought the tie it really looked like a deep navy and not black but in the light of my office it certainly does appear to be black. That doesn't make me like the tie any less but it does tell me that I need to reserve this tie for my grey suits
smile.gif

Hmmm I can see your point but that's my favourite knot for narrower ties as it gives me a slightly larger knot, when I do a double FIH with my wider ties it makes a know almost as big as my head
confused.gif

I agree with this point as well. It's sort of hard to tell until it's on and I'm looking at the pics. I think this shirt would be better suited to my other suits that don't have a narrow lapels.

Appreciate the constructive feedback.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Thanks B...

wait, what? young pants what?
confused.gif

That rig must look awesome in daylight (outside).

Your pants seem a tad bit short in the pics. Are your socks always visible when standing?

If so, early on I had the same [mistake in my case] issue in that since I hem my pants myself I would make the the precise length while standing still looking down, then when I was done and viewed them in a mirror they looked a bit like flood pants.

Either that or you're bending for the shot?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they ride up a little when I bend down to take the pic.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mr. pink, brand and model of shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics