CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

what does cbd mean

Conservative Business Dress

2. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

what does cbd mean
    I prefer Consistent Business Dress, but that's my take & not Sir Mantoni who is the holder of the rule book.

3. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

what does cbd mean
    Consistently Boring (you fill in the 'D') [​IMG]

5. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

Greg, I think that looks great, well done.

Here's mine for the day.

[​IMG]

You and medtech do the best with the skinny/fitted look out of anyone I've ever seen, on SF or in real life.

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

Consistently Boring (you fill in the 'D') [​IMG]
    Consistently Boring Dreck? Just kidding, I honestly think CBD is fantastic stuff. Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art. As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people. It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

7. Azzurri

Azzurri Well-Known Member

Consistently Boring Dreck?

Just kidding, I honestly think CBD is fantastic stuff.

Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art.

As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people.

It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

I agree with you. Very well-said.

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

Dressing unexpectedly well within set rules/boundaries is IMO the highest expression of our art.

As WAYWRN proves daily, literally anyone can dress to draw attention and/or plaudits from women (or easily awed men). It is always the easier path to say that 'the rules don't matter', to try for the 'pop', the 'peacock', to be a 'baller', to try to 'show personality' via one's dress, to make concessions to trendiness, or give in to the over-accumulation of goods - you end up dressing for other people.

It takes real skill to create a concentrated wardrobe that is flexible within its inflexibility, and that is why I really appreciate this thread.

I somewhat agree but disagree (mainly based on some of the comments made as to why one doesn't do splashy even from time to time) that moving away from gray suits and light blue/white shirts doesn't necessarily mean one is dressing for others.

Many who do CBD on the other hand are either dressing for others or not dressing for themselves because of others. And as far as having a concentrated wardrobe, remember I'm the guy who set limits on how many what I shall own at any given time. I can fit my clothing for 4 seasons in the small closet (wife got the big one).

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Animal Thug,

The way I see it is CBD is dressing appropriately for the workplace. If I'm going out for dinner and drinks, etc I can let the pocket square pop or wear the crazy pants, etc.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Animal Thug,

The way I see it is CBD is dressing appropriately for the workplace. If I'm going out for dinner and drinks, etc I can let the pocket square pop or wear the crazy pants, etc.

I do realize that in some work environments one has to be conservative but c'mon, I've heard: double cuff shirts are reserved for more senior partners only, stick to white & light blue shirts, etc. Say's who?

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do realize that in some work environments one has to be conservative but c'mon, I've heard: double cuff shirts are reserved for more senior partners only, stick to white & light blue shirts, etc. Say's who?

This mindset exists. One time I had 15 clients in the same company and there was a clear division of who wore what styles and even a distinction of where to shop.

What is UCBD? Can't figure out the U

12. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

[...]
    What is UCBD? Can't figure out the U

Ultra.

As in "I don't want my clothing choices to possibly offend anybody"

13. micbain

micbain Senior member

14. micbain

micbain Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deets on suit/tailor pls!

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Looking good, Skinny. I really like the last combo with the yellow tie and loafers, too.

I haven't generally liked the pinned collars but I think this looks great.

You and medtech do the best with the skinny/fitted look out of anyone I've ever seen, on SF or in real life.

Thanks guys!

That's what I like about it, making the rules work for you and pushing boundries or even sticking to hard rules without boundry pushing.