• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

JasonG83

Reaction score
I am a newcomer to the forum, and just in time it seems. Now that I am in law school, I am realizing how dismally inadequate my "professional" wardrobe has been (I worked in finance, but off-Wall Street, so it was a really laid-back dress code). To begin my conservative business dress overhaul, I have been picking things up on sale at BB. Please let me know if this combination is appropriate for a legal office setting, or for interview purposes.
4vibgp.jpg
French blue BB slim-fit, BB 346 tie, BB 1818 Madison navy w/ burgundy pinstripes suit

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would say no. Shirt is too dark and stripes are not recommended for interviews. Colored stripes, no way.

The tie is conservative business dress enough but kind of lame. Be warned that I have a prejudice against red ties so my advice may not be that great.

JasonG83

Reaction score
Are the colored stripes conservative business dress at all, or is this suit a bust?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best shot I could get yesterday. Olive BB sack suit. Polo tie. Local maker shirt (lt blue herringbone).
5582387038_81f84aba72_z.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JasonG83
Are the colored stripes conservative business dress at all, or is this suit a bust?

Not conservative business dress at all, if you ask me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
Skinny, fantastic fits of late!

Thanks you! I've got some charcoal on the way later today.

Originally Posted by luftvier
Best shot I could get yesterday. Olive BB sack suit. Polo tie. Local maker shirt (lt blue herringbone).
5582387038_81f84aba72_z.jpg

Good stuff Lufty!! Thats a dot tie i can stand behind for conservative business dress since it's a print and the silk has a casual feel to it.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
As close as I got to conservative business dress this week, just so I could post in Manton's thread:

P1030633-1.jpg

P1030635-1.jpg
P1030632.jpg

One of the best fits posted here in a while, Gnat.

Mike

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not conservative business dress at all, if you ask me.
I agree with this. A burgundy striped suit is best reserved for social occasions.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking good, Skinny. I really like the last combo with the yellow tie and loafers, too.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I haven't generally liked the pinned collars but I think this looks great.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I wear this exact combination from time to time and my feeling is that a white linen works much better.

EDIT: Sans tie on this particular day but you get the idea:

5081389527_85fe661009.jpg

Love the look, especially for going out to a show and/or dinner with your favorite gal. I've been looking for the same color light grey pants but to no avail. I really need to find a glen plaid jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads