• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress Db?

HappymaN

Reaction score
Hey manton, nice collar on that shirt. Is that a Kabbaz-Kelly?

Aries

Reaction score
Manton;522224 said:
Do I need to specify that the shirt must be white? I hope not. The suit may be gray or blue, but in either case dark and solid. The tie should be dark blue. Black is too funereal. Any other color is too lively. Manton, I am stumped in regards to alternative colors to the conservative business dress. Perhaps it's the nature of the beast, but I've consistently heard the same colors being mentioned that you have mentioned in regards to conservative business attire. Unfortunately, these colors do not suit me. I didn't put much weight into the skin tone/color theory, but it has proven to be correct in my case. Earthy colors seem to make me look better, while blue and stark white are particularly hideous. I believe that you could provide a better solution to this dilemma than most. Your advice would be greatly appreciated as to which alternative colors, if any, can be used for conservative business dress . Thanks.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton suit, right? Isn't that too Neopolitan flash to be conservative business dress?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THat collar is too spread for conservative business dress.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can drape be conservative business dress?

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
I would go with a darkblue coloured conservative business dress, with that tie you have on or a striped navy/red tie.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aristocrat
I would go with ... striped navy/red tie.

And you would be wrong.
boxing[1].gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These threads are great fun for a saturday.

But the tie bar. Doesn't it almost make the wearer . . . noticeable?

cuffthis

Reaction score
Well, I like it. You would certainly get a good table at my place (and a GREAT table if you bring a pretty blonde with you).

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aries;523066 said:
Originally Posted by Manton

Do I need to specify that the shirt must be white? I hope not.

The suit may be gray or blue, but in either case dark and solid.

The tie should be dark blue. Black is too funereal. Any other color is too lively.

Manton, I am stumped in regards to alternative colors to the conservative business dress. Perhaps it's the nature of the beast, but I've consistently heard the same colors being mentioned that you have mentioned in regards to conservative business attire. Unfortunately, these colors do not suit me. I didn't put much weight into the skin tone/color theory, but it has proven to be correct in my case. Earthy colors seem to make me look better, while blue and stark white are particularly hideous. I believe that you could provide a better solution to this dilemma than most. Your advice would be greatly appreciated as to which alternative colors, if any, can be used for conservative business dress . Thanks.

Black-green or dark chocolate brown: Totally conservative business dress ( and you don't look like you were raised from the dead). Shirt goes from white to pale cream. Don't be fooled: there ARE other colors than charcoal and navy.

stirpot.gif

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Only a clod wears SB to an evening social event. So you must wear DB. But it has to be conservative business dress...

Really? I didn't know this.

Aries

Reaction score
yachtie;523556 said:
Originally Posted by Aries

Black-green or dark chocolate brown: Totally conservative business dress ( and you don't look like you were raised from the dead). Shirt goes from white to pale cream. Don't be fooled: there ARE other colors than charcoal and navy.

stirpot.gif

Yachtie, very glad to hear your input. I just needed some feedback from members such as yourself, because I have felt that there are other non-flashy colors(such as the ones you have stated), and saw no point in sticking to the often advised charcoal/Navy/white colors just for the sake of it. Thanks for the help.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Manton, what about age? I'm skeptical that a young fellow could don a DB and be deemed conservative business dress-compliant. Seems like the whippersnappers should have to pay their dues before being allowed to explore the foppish far reaches of conservative business dress.
You raise a good point. The young man is pulled in two directions: the desire not to appear cloddish by wearing SB to an evening event, and the necessity of not ruining his career before it gets started. Since conservative business dress is more about advancement than looking good -- more Sammy Glick than Patrick Bateman -- better to go with SB and be thought a clod. At least you can overcome that impression later, by making the right choices when you get older. Make the wrong choice, and the only apparel choice you will have later in your career is which fast food chain uniform you like best.

Originally Posted by Khoa
Hey manton, nice collar on that shirt. Is that a Kabbaz-Kelly?
No.

Originally Posted by Aries
I am stumped in regards to alternative colors to the conservative business dress. Perhaps it's the nature of the beast, but I've consistently heard the same colors being mentioned that you have mentioned in regards to conservative business attire. Unfortunately, these colors do not suit me. I didn't put much weight into the skin tone/color theory, but it has proven to be correct in my case. Earthy colors seem to make me look better, while blue and stark white are particularly hideous. I believe that you could provide a better solution to this dilemma than most. Your advice would be greatly appreciated as to which alternative colors, if any, can be used for conservative business dress . Thanks.
There ARE NO alternative colors. Sorry. That's just the nature of the beast. I do, however, believe that color theory is BS, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Originally Posted by A Harris
Kiton suit, right? Isn't that too Neopolitan flash to be conservative business dress?
Good eye. No.

Originally Posted by jml90
This has been explained at length, and you are WRONG.

Originally Posted by zjpj83
Can drape be conservative business dress?
Yes. Drape was invented by a Savile Row tailor (a conservative bunch by nature), and based on the uniform worn by the Guards (the most conservative British regiment). It was then picked up by A&S, the most conservative SR tailor. So, QED.

Originally Posted by countdemoney
But the tie bar. Doesn't it almost make the wearer . . . noticeable?
Maybe, a little. Like I said earllier, a tie bar disqualifies you from UCBD, but not conservative business dress. Since the three main parts of the ensemble are all solids, the tie bar sneaks in under the limit.

Originally Posted by ruben
Really? I didn't know this.
Now you know.

Originally Posted by yachtie
Maybe conservative business dress in the Bizzaro World allows for this, but not in our dimension. Now, run along. Aren't you late for your meeting in the Trapezoid Office?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics