• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

Mirage-

Reaction score
Jackets look nice but with warmer weather in summer in most of Europe, only the unlined jackets seem to work for me from May to September. This year I carried around a few different jackets for travel in Spain, France, Italy, and the USA from May to August and none of the lined jackets (cotton, wool, linen, or mixed) worked. One needs to take the jacket off most of the time, especially if one is walking.

The unlined cashmere blazer from Cabour was the coolest along with one or two unlined wool/linen hopsack spoart coats.

@kevinsvindland try to have a few unlined sportscoats next season, with the warm weather being a constant thing every year, garments that wear cooler in spring to fall are more versatile.
Personally, from June to early September I couldn' t even bear wearing an unconstructed jacket indoor - Rome was that hot. Then i wore unstructured or light summer jackets from september to october, only in the morning for most of september even, and only with november I started wearing other jackets. I also wore linen trousers into october...

Last edited:

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Jackets look nice but with warmer weather in summer in most of Europe, only the unlined jackets seem to work for me from May to September. This year I carried around a few different jackets for travel in Spain, France, Italy, and the USA from May to August and none of the lined jackets (cotton, wool, linen, or mixed) worked. One needs to take the jacket off most of the time, especially if one is walking.

The unlined cashmere blazer from Cabour was the coolest along with one or two unlined wool/linen hopsack spoart coats.

@kevinsvindland try to have a few unlined sportscoats next season, with the warm weather being a constant thing every year, garments that wear cooler in spring to fall are more versatile.

I find the combination of lighter open weave fabrics, with a mix of wool, silk and linen to work rather well for summer, with our usual half lining.

All Cavour jackets for Spring Summer 23 come with the same type of lining as last spring.

Like this:
DB07E253-2EE5-4F66-BEE9-175A9A7223AB.jpeg

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Just received my order and I am impressed by the blazing fast shipping. Some fit pics right out of the box - apologies for the lighting. Overall, I am very pleased with the fit of the jacket. I am a big fan of Spier and Mackay and own a good deal of their jackets as they fit me quite well off the rack, but I have to say that the fit and finish of this jacket is slightly better for me. For those who are curious, the fabric is by Marling and Evans (I don’t believe this is mentioned on the site). Below I am going to detail some of the key differences that I’ve noticed in the hour that I’ve had this jacket. Hopefully this will be helpful to those who frequent both the Spier thread and this one and are curious about fit differences. For reference, I purchased this jacket in size US38R. I am 5’9” and 160lbs (as of 5 minutes ago).

Shoulders: The shoulder is narrower than Spier by a small margin. I was initially worried about this because the Spier shoulders tend to fit me quite well. However, the shoulder in Cavour’s jacket is even less constructed than Spier’s, allowing it to hug the shoulder. It’s almost a shirt-like fit

Chest: I typically buy a size 38R because it fits my shoulders well. Unfortunately, my chest measures around 39” and is rather…round (?) because I lift weights regularly. If I buy a 40 in Spier, the shoulders are too big. The 38R Contemporary fits me quite well, but I still don’t have “flat” lapels that allow my shirt’s collar points to comfortably sit under them. Put simply, this is not an issue with the Cavour jacket. The chest seems to be cut ever so slightly fuller than Spier’s, and can accommodate a slightly more built chest.

Sleeves: I have T-Rex arms and always need to shorten the sleeves of jackets. My burden to bear…

The sleeve pitch is very slightly off for me on the Cavour jacket. This is something that Spier absolutely nails for me in every jacket I own. Your mileage may vary based on your own body’s dimensions. However, I will say that it’s slight enough that it is not noticeable unless I am in my “robot pose”. In motion and general use, it is not noticeable and certainly not a reason for me to part with this jacket. I'll also note that the armholes are high, but not uncomfortably so. They allow good range of motion, and are very comfortable.

Length: This jacket is slightly shorter, but not by much and still long enough for my personal preferences. Any shorter would be a problem for me. The vents are still sewn shut on this jacket but lie reasonably flat even with my, shall we say, prominent seat.

Finishing: The finishing on this jacket is very, very good and is (in my opinion) a cut above Spier’s. Not a thread out of place. I appreciate the thoughtfully lined jacket. I’ll note that the pictures here (and on the site) don’t quite capture the depth of the fabric. It is a deep green, yes, but there is a richness to it that is very pleasing to see in person.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and will certainly purchase more of their house-brand tailoring in the future. It certainly feels like quite a good deal at the sale price that I obtained. I am hoping that Cavour releases trousers with a higher rise, but I thought I read that this was in the works somewhere in this thread. Would love to purchase a suit in the future.

Attachments

• A7F41828-55A3-406A-9FCA-370868F26264.jpeg
    A7F41828-55A3-406A-9FCA-370868F26264.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 213
  • F2647FE0-0459-489D-BAD8-C7D1E764C7C0.jpeg
    F2647FE0-0459-489D-BAD8-C7D1E764C7C0.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 231
  • E18C6BD7-2134-4C07-A815-3DBA08355950.jpeg
    E18C6BD7-2134-4C07-A815-3DBA08355950.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

papado

Reaction score
Received my Cavour handwelt split toes: beautiful shoes and were nice and soft right out of the box but there is just too much room in the instep for my foot :(. Not sure if I can get away with going a half size down so I'll return for now--went with my C&J size (9.5UK; I'm a US10.5).

MrFingers

Reaction score
Received my Cavour handwelt split toes: beautiful shoes and were nice and soft right out of the box but there is just too much room in the instep for my foot :(. Not sure if I can get away with going a half size down so I'll return for now--went with my C&J size (9.5UK; I'm a US10.5).
Pics?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my order and I am impressed by the blazing fast shipping. Some fit pics right out of the box - apologies for the lighting. Overall, I am very pleased with the fit of the jacket. I am a big fan of Spier and Mackay and own a good deal of their jackets as they fit me quite well off the rack, but I have to say that the fit and finish of this jacket is slightly better for me. For those who are curious, the fabric is by Marling and Evans (I don’t believe this is mentioned on the site). Below I am going to detail some of the key differences that I’ve noticed in the hour that I’ve had this jacket. Hopefully this will be helpful to those who frequent both the Spier thread and this one and are curious about fit differences. For reference, I purchased this jacket in size US38R. I am 5’9” and 160lbs (as of 5 minutes ago).

Shoulders: The shoulder is narrower than Spier by a small margin. I was initially worried about this because the Spier shoulders tend to fit me quite well. However, the shoulder in Cavour’s jacket is even less constructed than Spier’s, allowing it to hug the shoulder. It’s almost a shirt-like fit

Chest: I typically buy a size 38R because it fits my shoulders well. Unfortunately, my chest measures around 39” and is rather…round (?) because I lift weights regularly. If I buy a 40 in Spier, the shoulders are too big. The 38R Contemporary fits me quite well, but I still don’t have “flat” lapels that allow my shirt’s collar points to comfortably sit under them. Put simply, this is not an issue with the Cavour jacket. The chest seems to be cut ever so slightly fuller than Spier’s, and can accommodate a slightly more built chest.

Sleeves: I have T-Rex arms and always need to shorten the sleeves of jackets. My burden to bear…

The sleeve pitch is very slightly off for me on the Cavour jacket. This is something that Spier absolutely nails for me in every jacket I own. Your mileage may vary based on your own body’s dimensions. However, I will say that it’s slight enough that it is not noticeable unless I am in my “robot pose”. In motion and general use, it is not noticeable and certainly not a reason for me to part with this jacket. I'll also note that the armholes are high, but not uncomfortably so. They allow good range of motion, and are very comfortable.

Length: This jacket is slightly shorter, but not by much and still long enough for my personal preferences. Any shorter would be a problem for me. The vents are still sewn shut on this jacket but lie reasonably flat even with my, shall we say, prominent seat.

Finishing: The finishing on this jacket is very, very good and is (in my opinion) a cut above Spier’s. Not a thread out of place. I appreciate the thoughtfully lined jacket. I’ll note that the pictures here (and on the site) don’t quite capture the depth of the fabric. It is a deep green, yes, but there is a richness to it that is very pleasing to see in person.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and will certainly purchase more of their house-brand tailoring in the future. It certainly feels like quite a good deal at the sale price that I obtained. I am hoping that Cavour releases trousers with a higher rise, but I thought I read that this was in the works somewhere in this thread. Would love to purchase a suit in the future.

Pretty close to a perfect fit.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Pretty close to a perfect fit.

It really is about as good as I can reasonably expect from a RTW jacket. If push came to shove and I had to choose between the S&M Contemporary Cut and Cavour's house cut (based on fit alone, not accounting for price), I have to say that I'd go with Cavour based on this jacket. I'd rather have an almost unnoticeably "off" sleeve pitch (for all practical intents) and enough room in the chest, than barely enough room in the chest but a (basically) perfect sleeve pitch. I am particularly happy with how cleanly it fits across the back despite my droopy right shoulder.

StartingStyle

Reaction score
A jacket , which has never been really discussed here, was the 100% silk herringbone sports jacket from s/s22.
I got it with the summer hopsack (where the smell is slowly disappearing) and I absolutely love it. It is a bit wider than the hopsack in my case but it’s so enjoyable and for me it is really a 4 season staple.

Attachments

• 892F045C-91BC-4347-83D4-CB49B841D6A4.jpeg
    892F045C-91BC-4347-83D4-CB49B841D6A4.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 522

zurich64

Reaction score
I find the combination of lighter open weave fabrics, with a mix of wool, silk and linen to work rather well for summer, with our usual half lining.

All Cavour jackets for Spring Summer 23 come with the same type of lining as last spring.

Like this:
View attachment 1862631
Yes, The Navy cashmere hopsack and a light blue jacket have this half lining and work on most days and are good travel jackets. I just wish the linen or hopsack jackets came with quarter lining to be even more versatile in warmer weather. Traveling in Italy/Spain I am now in habit of taking the jacket off when walking / outside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads