• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

Imperatores

Reaction score
What is the general opinion on belt loops vs side adjusters?
Do people like to wear belts with suits and other formal trousers?

Side adjusters with suspender buttons. I don't mind belt loops too much, but I really enjoy the aesthetic of a slightly wider and extended waistband with side adjusters. I also quite like side adjusters on flat fronted trousers as well. A bit more wearable while retaining some sartorial flair, and avoids looking top heavy without a jacket (as long as the rise isn't too high). I'm in the camp who prefers more of a medium-high rise than a true high rise, though.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side adjusters. Belts are impractical and looks ugly with tailored trousers. If you want to keep your trousers up and they're not the correct size use braces. Trousers with belts will never drape well. A well draped pair of trousers should hang from the shoulders like they do with braces.

(if you're seriously considering the suggestions from the last couple of posts, don't forget the pleats. Personal preference: get rid of the back pockets as well. They defeat the purpose of a clean look and aren't useful).
This is why you’re my dude.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been sitting on the Cavour sidelines for a minute. Super interested in the development of a HR trouser from you all with a (hopefully) wider hem with and/knee circumference. Seeing you all aim for a HR trouser with a clean line would be great, and certainly get me off the bench. On another note, are the collar points on the Cavour Sartoria line of shirts longer than the regular Cavour line? I find the latter too short.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Is the Mod 3 jacket just the double breasted version of the Mod 2 pattern, or are there any differences beyond that?

Marshak

Reaction score
Thanks for your input so far.

Feel free to share pictures and name brands you think make interesting trousers too.

(fits one to post Ghurka trousers will be awarded a permanent ban from the thread..)

Love your style doxa.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side adjusters and brace buttons!

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input so far.

Feel free to share pictures and name brands you think make interesting trousers too.

(fits one to post Ghurka trousers will be awarded a permanent ban from the thread..)
My favorite are Stoffa trousers. I go for a slightly tapered leg but straight leg is good too.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m swaying back to belt loops for odd ‘separate’ trousers - I enjoy the look when worn with a slimmer belt. For suit trousers, my preference remains with side tabs, but keep the rear pockets on both please!

Would definitely like to see a fuller cut with a higher front and back rise from Cavour, with my past Cavour trousers I’ve had to size up, enlarge the legs by the maximum available fabric allowance (I do like how much extra fabric is available on the inseam) and then take in the waist, the end result however is pretty good.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Personally I believe suits require side tabs, for separates either is fine. I prefer side tabs but wear both, even though I actually only have a single belt, 1" slim, dark brown suede.
I strongly agree with @kevinsvindland on tabs placement, it looks far too top heavy with them on waistband. Plus I feel they work better when they tighten just above the hip bone (which happens to be on-seam, as they are, for me) rather than on waistband, too.
I love the look of higher rise but find it often uncomfortable for sitting (worse yet, driving) so I suppose Kevin's argument has merits. Personally the only thing really annoying me is the ankle width, I would go for +1-1.5cm, especially in pleated ones where the pleat makes the trousers appear even more tapered than they are. It's fairly easy to alter, sure, but I did that on a cotton pair and the mark, though faint, never really went away, not even after a couple of washes (yes i machine washed them).
Finally, no pockets feels weird to me as well. I would probably go for right pocket only (I only use it for my smartphone) if I had to choose, but it's a very minor preference.

Last edited:

hysteria

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but not sure of which other thread to post this.

I'll be taking a 2w trip to Europe this Fall, with plans to be in Paris, London, Edinburgh, for a few days each. It's been years since I've been to either location and my sartorial tastes have significantly evolved in that time. I plan to stop by several stores to try out their staples and identify which items fit me well, if it at all, which will make my life much easier for future orders, or at least serve as a great reference point. Here are some obvious stores I will be visiting because I haven't owned their products before, mostly due to uncertainty about fit. Not into Saville Row or other bespoke territory yet - not even close. Focus is on shoes, shirts, and trousers.

Any suggestions for stores you'd recommend visiting? Even if 1/5 suggestions lead me somewhere interesting, it will be appreciated. Probably won't return again for a while.

London - Barba, C&J (finally get to try out their various lasts), Santa Maria Shirtmakers, Baudoin Lange, Hackett, Edward Green, Drake's, Pantherella, Belstaff
Paris - Pini Parma, Scavini, Guerlain, Carmina
Edinburgh - Walker Slater

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Been sitting on the Cavour sidelines for a minute. Super interested in the development of a HR trouser from you all with a (hopefully) wider hem with and/knee circumference. Seeing you all aim for a HR trouser with a clean line would be great, and certainly get me off the bench. On another note, are the collar points on the Cavour Sartoria line of shirts longer than the regular Cavour line? I find the latter too short.

We’ll see how the new samples come out!

The Sartoria shirts have larger collars, yes.
9,5 cm, in line with a typical Napolitan shirt. Personally I prefer a larger one than the one on our regular line.

4532233C-A4ED-46CB-91E7-8C2F036200EB.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads