• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

Shetterd

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the faux-buttonhole threads at home just using a seam-ripper or other sharp tool? Or is that not to be recommended at all? Am trying to avoid a trip to the alterations tailor...

Last edited:

kylepw

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the faux-buttenhole threads at home just using a seam-ripper or other sharp tool? Or is that not to be recommended at all? Am trying to avoid a trip to the alterations tailor...
I told my tailor to try when I asked her to shorten the sleeves. She said she tried but stopped because looked like it was holding fabric together. I wouldn't recommend it.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the faux-buttonhole threads at home just using a seam-ripper or other sharp tool? Or is that not to be recommended at all? Am trying to avoid a trip to the alterations tailor...

With the right tool it is quite possible..
Question is though, why would you want to remove the threads?

Shetterd

Reaction score
With the right tool it is quite possible..
Question is though, why would you want to remove the threads?
Oh just because there currently are four buttons+faux buttonholes and I am considering taking 2 off because I like the two button sleeve look.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid a tailor $40 to take them out (I do one button sleeves on all my jackets). My other tailor who I trust more laughed when I told him that—he said it’d take two seconds with a seam ripper.

efta

Reaction score
I have never done it myself, but I've seen some results. I would recommend against it in general, especially on finer fabrics in plain colours; irregardless who does it.

Faroe65

Reaction score
I have never done it myself, but I've seen some results. I would recommend against it in general, especially on finer fabrics in plain colours; irregardless who does it.
Speaking of this, I really hope Cavour's jackets can leave their sleeves unfinished and let the customers decide between faux and working cuffs.

efta

Reaction score
Speaking of this, I really hope Cavour's jackets can leave their sleeves unfinished and let the customers decide between faux and working cuffs.
As Kevin pointed out, the key factor (that I neglected in my post) is whether its been sewn on so tight that it has "ripped" the fabric. If you know its not, its fine.

If the choice is between unaltered and easily removable faux, the latter will probably result in the least amount of hassle for the majority of people.

awf

Reaction score
Is there any specific reason the Ring Jacket suits are less expensive than they usually are? I'm not complaining, just curious.

efta

Reaction score
I still regret not picking up that sartoria club blazer from the sale

I hope whoever picked it up gets good use from it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads