• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAVOUR Official Community - Discuss Tailoring, Shirting, Shoes & More - Official Affiliate Thread

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cross-posting alert ____________________

As @dieworkwear kindly wrote a wonderful article on spring tailorings, which i highly recommend, i thought it proper that i venture into opening up the discussion on some of the grails I’m eyeing for at Cavour, who is doing a site-wide 30% off sale. All seem to be beautifully made, and i’m just a bit too bewildered to make a choice. (again, related to Derek’s write-up on the importance of small businesses):

1. Navy mockleno

6DDCC9D3-DAAC-44D0-9316-698C413F56CE.jpeg

This definitely falls into ‘The Basic’ category. Surprisingly I still don’t have a single breaste navy sport coat (so can only do with wearing the navy suit jacket). It’s currently on sale at $564. Not at the most attractive price for me to cop now since i may well encounter one just as good (and especially since I can go to a Mirador baotou sifu alternatively, at similar cost). But this navy hopsack is just so quintessential.

2. Oatmeal wool-linen hopsack

CDCA3B86-7699-4A00-9D0D-E89EA2D0B857.jpeg

This lies between ‘The Basic’ and ‘The Advanced’, in that the light colour is immediately noticeably different from your navy and grey, but the pale oatmeal keeps it neat, versatile and professionally appropriate. I particularly like the understated textures. It’s currently selling at $420, very lucrative.

3. Navy Glencheck silk

7E0DFFC6-5C1C-464B-8631-DE07590589AE.jpeg

An antithesis to the one above, this one’s got dark colour but some deep tone variations in the glenchecks and rich lustre. Goes with anything short of my light grey PoW fresco trousers. It is selling at $480.

I do have 2 bits of concern though, being longevity / fragility, and that silk might not wear as cool as wool mockleno or wool-silk hopsack in tropical HK. (Anecdotally, I heard that pure silk jackets stink after being cleaned?)

4. Light brown checked silk

ECF805C4-02AE-4696-85F1-95FADCBC43F2.jpeg

Outright a more casual option in ‘The Advanced’ category, without looking too oustentious. Easy to wear with mid to dark grey trousers, but also cream. Selling at $480.

Though probably not so easy to wear with checkered summer ties (especially the cotton madras ones or woven tartan ones from Brooks Brothers) since their checks are of a similar scale?

3698FAEB-14B9-4CAC-B950-1D6F6C134C0E.jpeg

074E1E2F-2420-41CB-B68C-4B4D96BE2754.jpeg

181F1B9D-8604-406D-B5ED-06F299D55FC9.jpeg

My spring / summer tailorings at hand are basically a structured navy suit, a soft suit in light grey PoW, a navy DB sport coat in 8oz LGB (which might be a bit light weight / too fine to be worn too frequently, and which errs a bit into ‘The Very Advanced’ category in Derek’s write-up?), a bottle green Farquharson tartan sport coat in cotton-linen, a milk-and-sugar seersucker from Uniqlo (which has like 0.5 inch lapels and can only be worn in a few occasions).

Love to hear your thoughts.

Again, hope it would ease up real soon, and wish you guys at Cavour the best!
Cheers,
Royal_Airforce

Is Mirador baotou sifu closer to Mordor or to Minas Tirith?

papado

Reaction score
Just wanted to pop-in and say my [first] purchase of Saint Crispin's shoes and from Cavour went super smooth and quick last week (2 days to NYC!). Really glad i snagged the last pair in my size!

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do so many of the shoe models on the cavour site look like they've been worn around the store? Lots of top creasing? Seems like a big mistake. Is it to show how they would break in?

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Is Mirador baotou sifu closer to Mordor or to Minas Tirith?
Closer to thee Zion i’d say! Tho your puns are def more punchy ;)

I do want to use this chance to become a repeating customer after good experience from my previous purchase. Hats off to you all honest and diligent chaps! Let’s get through this difficult time together. (And again, congrats Kevin on the new born!)

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do so many of the shoe models on the cavour site look like they've been worn around the store? Lots of top creasing? Seems like a big mistake. Is it to show how they would break in?

Agreed. I thought twice about picking up a last pair wondering if I ll end up getting shoes that have been worn. Fortunately, they were not. Cavour needs to work on their shots and their site.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I know there are a few pictures that could do with a replacement. Which is why my dear colleague Thomas spends most his time in our dungeon studio these days, taking new photos.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Closer to thee Zion i’d say! Tho your puns are def more punchy ;)

I do want to use this chance to become a repeating customer after good experience from my previous purchase. Hats off to you all honest and diligent chaps! Let’s get through this difficult time together. (And again, congrats Kevin on the new born!)

Haha!

Thank you for your kind words, and your support. I am glad you are happy with your experience.:)

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It always feels bad to request more discounts, but alot of the items on your page have no discount rigth now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics