• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cautionary tale for Ecco wearers

novalis

Reaction score
Having been a satisfied Ecco wearer for several years now, I was surprised one afternoon (during an interview no less) to discover that the PVC/synthetic heels of my Ecco dress shoes had suddenly cracked and split. From the look of it, the material simply disintegrated, which made a rather sticky gooey mess. My shoes were probably around six years old but very lightly worn, probably no more than a few weeks each year. The heel and outsole material were made of some PVC material and perhaps it simply degrades over time regardless of actual use. In any case, I went to the Ecco website, requested a shoe return package, returned my shoes, and had my pair inspected at no cost. A few weeks later I got a letter from an Ecco USA representative that a warranty repair had been authorized but that my model was no longer in stock. The upshot is that I am getting a free replacement pair from their current line. I was able to choose from any model except their most expensive one, the President and the golf shoes. So I ended up getting their second most expensive shoe (City Classic Apron), which I believe is the only Ecco shoe that has a partial leather outsole. Although I'm very happy with Ecco's warranty & customer service, I must say I'm now fairly reticent about the use of synthetic materials in shoes. Not surprisingly I'm much more partial to genuine leather outsoles and heels made of natural materials. Somehow I don't think the same heel cracking would occur on natural materials. Some photos below:
46720687749_640_1.jpg
46720816005_640_1.jpg

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yikes that looks terrible and quite odd to happen to a lightly used pair. Good CS though.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can have a similar problem with crepe soles. After a number of years, maybe ten, the crepe becomes sticky and after another ten years the soles have dried out and just crumble away. You can just rip chunks off the soles (like you can rip pieces out of a dried up sponge.

That's probably the reason why crepe soles, once very popular, have almost disappeared (apart from Alden's "All Weather Walkers").

Ordinary rubber soles like Vibram or Itshide do not have these problems.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Bengal-Stripe, is there any way to prevent crepe soles from disintegrating like that? Or is that just a sad inevitability?

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if these shoes were designed to be 'dress shoes'.

They look a little bit too clunky and casual.

novalis

Reaction score
I don't know if these shoes were designed to be 'dress shoes'.

They look a little bit too clunky and casual.
Perhaps this is quibbling but I don't think a dress or formal shoe is defined by whether one subjectively finds the shape pleasing or not. Shoe aficionados should correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a formal shoe comes in two varieties - closed lacing (like an oxford) or open lacing (like a derby or blucher). This is a black leather derby which, though a tad less formal than an oxford, is still appropriate for suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads