Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Caution New York Times trend story: Seersucker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justlurkingthanks, Apr 20, 2006.

1. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

New York Times declares seersucker to be hip! Which of course means it no longer is, but anyway, interesting story.

2. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

"Worn with blue jeans, white painter's pants or faded khakis, with an untucked cowboy shirt or that paragon of 21st-century elegance, the weathered AC/DC T-shirt, a smart seersucker jacket adds that often-lacking je ne sais quoi, suggesting, say, that you have a job."

Did you hear that? AAAC's Trad Forum members collectively spontaneously combusted.

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

[​IMG] Damn, damn, damn. Don't you hate it when things you like become overly trendy?

4. Dapper Dandy

Dapper Dandy Senior member

I would hope my clothes send more of a message than that I have a job. At a minimum, I want them to send a message that I have a job and care how I look.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

When I wear seersucker I would love to look like I came out of a Eudora Welty novel.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Damn, damn, damn. Don't you hate it when things you like become overly trendy?

I agree but it's inevitable that virtually everything will eventually get it's 15 minutes of fame.

7. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

Did you hear that? AAAC's Trad Forum members collectively spontaneously combusted.
    I thought I heard something... [​IMG]

8. tahitiantreat

tahitiantreat Member

Shoot, and I just bought an Engineered Garments seersucker jacket on Tuesday.

At the risk of being un-hip, I'll probably wear it longer than 15 minutes. Ah, well....

9. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I would hope my clothes send more of a message than that I have a job. At a minimum, I want them to send a message that I have a job and care how I look.

I have found that pinning my pay envelope to my check accomplishes the first part, still working on the second. I guess seersucker ain't enough. [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

When I wear seersucker, I want to think of myself in certain bars with incredibly sunburned Englishmen in jodphurs discussing their hunting prowess.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

When I wear seersucker, I want to think of myself in certain bars with incredibly sunburned Englishmen in jodphurs discussing their hunting prowess.
    Haha. Exactly. Over G&Ts, of course.

12. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Or outside partaking in cucumber sandwiches and discussing the races. [​IMG]

13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

It seems to be taking it's cues from the philosophy that underpins pretty well all of GQ's style tips (and all of D&G's designs for that matter).

Take something fairly classic, wear it with jeans, tshirt and cool sneakers, suddenly you are "hip" or "ironic". Try-hard New Yorkers seem to buy it (especially if it's a traditional garment with one tiny difference, justifying a sixfold increase in price...Libertine, I'm looking at you here...) but, does anyone else in the whole world actually think this doesn't look lame?

14. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Shoot, and I just bought an Engineered Garments seersucker jacket on Tuesday.

At the risk of being un-hip, I'll probably wear it longer than 15 minutes. Ah, well....

Nice buy. I love that jacket. I saw it a few weeks ago at Barney's. I need new golf clubs so I didn't pull the trigger myself.

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Well, that's two reasons not to wear seersucker now.