Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Catching Wild Rabbits using Snakes: BAREHANDED Rabbit Catch

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by meister, Jan 8, 2014.

1. meister

meister Senior member

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

This was discussed at some length on the "Finding Bigfoot" thread some months back. I remarked there that the principle was no different from using ferrets to flush out rabbits. The big difference is if a ferret nips you, you are merely nipped. If a tiger snake nails you, you are very likely to die unless you can get immediate medical attention. The red-bellied black snake is venomous, but bites are only infrequently lethal.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Being someone who runs in to all of these snakes plus plenty of Eastern browns (more venomous again) while fly fishing the back country in Australia, the best advice I can give is leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. And watch where you are stepping.

No need to use snakes to flush out rabbits, they are everywhere on dusk and dawn in the country. Get your rifle out and take aim.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^I've heard that coastal taipans can be very aggressive and will often attack seemingly without provocation. Is this not true?

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not sure sorry, we only have Taipans up in the north of the country, I'm quite a ways down south near Canberra (Australia's Capital).

6. meister

meister Senior member

Yes they are vicious - the most dangerous snake in the world. Fast killer.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have heard that the Inland Taipan aka "the Fierce Snake" has the deadliest venom of all terrestrial snakes (as opposed to sea snakes). However, they inhabit remote areas of Australia where human contact is unlikely. A chap I was telephone buddies with, a fellow enthusiast of Tosa dogs, used to say that he wanted to get an Inland Taipan as a pet. Maybe he did, and that's why I haven't heard from him in some years!

It is quite amazing how cheaply some of the world's deadliest serpents can be acquired by private parties. It's certainly nothing I would want to do, that's for sure!

8. meister

meister Senior member

Australian Customs is always discovering animal/bird/reptile smugglers - but I suspect even they would baulk at taipans.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^A fun video! Rather diminutive looking wild swine, must be youngsters, I imagine.