• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Catalan speakers? Translation needed

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need to email the hotel where we will be staying on our honeymoon but do not speak Catalan and was hoping one of you might be willing to translate some text for me. I realize that Spanish (and probably English) is widely spoken in Catalonia, but I thought I would try to make a good impression by using Catalan.
Anyone?

Thanks,
bob

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you write in Spanish you will make a great impression. I have never been anywhere in the world where I was expected to write or speak in dialect.

That being said, there are places that will translate things on the cheap.

pinchi22

Reaction score
You are walking into a minefield, so I suggest being diplomatic.

Language is a huge issue in both Catalonia and the rest of Spain today. The preamble to the new Catalan statutes state that Catalonia is a "nation", which may seem strange to you given that it forms part of a nation called Spain. Residents, particularly public servants, may be fired for not responding to clients in Catalan. The Catalan government now insists that Hollwood movies be dubbed into Catalan (rather than Spanish); Hollywood has so far refused.

A German friend of mine asked for a cab in Barcelona in spanish. The driver responded that, if he were to address him in a foreign language, it should be in english.

And so on.

Sorry, I can´t help you translate catalan. Like anyone within Spain but outside of Catalonia, I don´t know more than "pan tumaca" (bread with olive oil and tomato, which happens to be great stuff).

An hotel employee will almost certainly be fluent in spanish and have basic english skills. If you want to add a bit of catalan, he/she probably won´t mind (but will probably be surprised).

Trilby

Reaction score
I agree with pinchi22 that language is a huge minefield in Catalunya, but my experience is that it really shouldn't be an issue for a tourist. No one is going to expect you to speak Catalan.

I wouldn't worry about using Castellano - or English for that matter. You are dealing with a hotel in a major tourist destination, so they will speak English.

pejsek

Reaction score
I agree with Trilby and pinchi22. You will probably do just fine speaking English. This saddens me a bit--gone are the days when travel really made a difference. The only time I've felt myself in a seamless linguistic web was my first trip to the Soviet Union back in 1984. Nobody spoke anything but Russian (excepting the spies, of course). English-language media was almost non-existent and the fact that it was relaying Soviet propaganda rendered it strange in any case. It was a great experience. Nowdays the world is too small.
I don't speak Catalan either, but I imagine you'll have no problems reading things if you know some basic Spanish, French, and Latin. One of my long-time non-clothing interests has been the Pernetiana roses which flourished in Catalonia in the 1920's-30's. I've read many documents in Catalan without too much difficulty and I must say I think it's a really cool language.
Congratulations and I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon!

pinchi22

Reaction score
I agree that most Catalans will appreciate your attempt to use basic Catalan. However, no one will expect you to converse fluently. Catalans use English when speaking with the rest of the world as this recent incident will demonstrate:

This past weekend, the Catalans played the Basques in a football/soccer game. Each region´s political leader proclaimed it was an "international" match between two "national" teams. Each "national" anthem was played, Spanish flags were duly burned, and a huge "Catalonia is not Spain" poster, in English, was draped from the stadium.

Personally, I´m all in favor of linguistic variety. The problem (IMHO) is when language becomes a device to divide rather than communicate.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I wrote out my short email and translated it into spanish (via Google) then found a Spanish-Catalan translator on-line and used that. Then I had a friend who is a linguist and is fluent in Spanish (and French and Italian) check it. She doesn't speak Catalan but was able to use her knowledge as a linguist to fix a couple errors. Email sent.

That was all I needed. We're not going to attempt being fluent in Catalan--but we are bringing a phrase book.

Thanks,
bob

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'ecureuil
Language aside: it would be more helpful for you to lose some weight, if you are eager to leave a good impression with the residents of Catalonia.

Wow, that was really rude. Is there a particular reason you felt you needed to be such an asshole towards me today?

b

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Given "ecureuil" is French for "squirrel", it's probably one of those beloved banned trolls that people are clamoring to let back in. Memories are short.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
it's probably one of those beloved banned trolls that people are clamoring to let back in.
Were there several French-speaking ones or just E***** ?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In hindsight, and diction aside, it does sound a bit E*****-ian.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads